League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   As a mid laner, is it ever necessary not to roam? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2968375)

MysticDonkey 01-03-2013 04:02 PM

As a mid laner, is it ever necessary not to roam?

Lately I've been playing champions that go mid such as AD Lux and AP Teemo. I only enjoy farming and I'd like to stick to that, but I'd like to know if it's ever okay not to. If the answer is no, then is it my fault if I don't roam and my team loses globally, is it fully my fault?

Fifth Scheme 01-03-2013 04:16 PM

Not entirely your fault. The theory that mid-laners should roam is based on the idea that most mid champions have one or more form of crowd control that they can use to snare and secure easy kills in other lanes. Lux is a good roamer because she can push her lane and then help out. Teemo not so much.

Some champs just farm. Karthus is a good example, however his slow wall is a good gank weapon, hence why teleport is a strong choice.

Overall though, everyone is responsible for helping other lanes if they are winning their own lane. The top lane should roam when he can (in my opinion, most top laners should run teleport, especially in solo queue), mid should roam when the lane is pushed, and the jungler should be helping out always. Sometimes all lanes are losing, and no one can really be blamed for that except being up against a better team.

It's a tough choice. Sometimes its a good idea to roam, but not if you lose your tower and a bunch of cs.

Edit : There is a situation in which it's better to push your lane and farm and not roam. For example ; If there are 3 or 4 enemies ganking a lane or doing dragon and your team is in no position to respond, you push your lane hard to get a turret in exchange. A lot of time in lower level games, people will just sit around and watch enemies do objectives even though they can't contest it. Just go and take a tower or farm more, no point in watching their team take dragon if you won't actually do anything. Also you risk getting engaged upon and losing even more than just dragon when you could have taken a tower or two.

Titan9900 01-03-2013 07:43 PM

You should roam when you can but it is not mandatory and not all mid laners can roam "well". You got to make the decision between picking up a wave of creeps or making a play for a chance of getting a kill with assists and possible tower take down.

Also never be to passive when u farm, if you are freezing your wave it allows your mid laner to gank for free.

Lord Puppy Fury 01-03-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifth Scheme (Hozzászólás 33125331)
Edit : There is a situation in which it's better to push your lane and farm and not roam. For example ; If there are 3 or 4 enemies ganking a lane or doing dragon and your team is in no position to respond, you push your lane hard to get a turret in exchange. A lot of time in lower level games, people will just sit around and watch enemies do objectives even though they can't contest it. Just go and take a tower or farm more, no point in watching their team take dragon if you won't actually do anything. Also you risk getting engaged upon and losing even more than just dragon when you could have taken a tower or two.

This is what you should do. Expect at at lower levels and elos, though, to take a lot of flack for this because your teammates don't understand much of anything. Also, tuck in the back of your mind that it's sometimes better to abandon ship. If, for example, you see four enemies closing on your turret and your team isn't able to respond, leave. It's better to give them turret gold than turret gold and kill/assist gold.

As for roaming, it's all a question of trade offs and choices. Any time you roam you will, by virtue of being out of lane, lose CS. Roaming may even give the enemy mid an opportunity to take your turret. But, is that a good trade for snowballing yourself and your teammates ahead? Is it worth giving up some CS for a strong team presence? Can you demoralize the other team by ganking while their mid isn't?

In solo queue with randoms, however, it's generally better to err on the side of roaming. Since your team won't be that well coordinated, your teammates aren't likely to understand if you're playing a champion that has a weak early game and/or isn't the best roamer. You'll often get a better return on your investment if you help your teammates help themselves rather than concentrate purely on farm. So, figure out a way to roam or have some sort of map-wide presence on everyone. Even Teemo can pull off a respectable gank with a little cleverness.

lastchancexi 01-03-2013 09:07 PM

As Mid lane, it is very important to roam and provide map control as well as farm. If you don't roam, you have to stop the opposing mid laner from roaming by constantly shoving the wave in to his face.

HeXiiS 01-04-2013 01:52 AM

roaming is very very very important.
punish overextended people. bot or top.
help your jungler, with ganks, with invading. help if he is getting invaded.
follow your lane opponent so he doesnt get free kills, etc etc

powwder 01-04-2013 02:01 AM

ok roaming is important, think of it like dragon. you technically don;t need to ever kill dragon but every time you kill it you get an advantage

Jesot 01-04-2013 05:34 AM

Because of her ability to push a lane and just her entire kit, Lux is one of the best roamers in the game. She wins games by roaming. Her ganks are incredible.