League of Legends Community
12345 ... 9

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Art Feedback (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   "The Hobbit" and "League of Legends" (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2967548)

Celebi 01-03-2013 11:07 AM

"The Hobbit" and "League of Legends"

1 Attachment(s)
So I just finished watching the Hobbit, and it came to me that League of Legends has been straying a lot from it's magic and medieval age taste. What started to be a line-up of Cryopheonix, mystical archers, rune mages, angelic knights and fallen sorceresses, is now a line-up of cyborgs, robots and futuristic heroes. Not that there's anything wrong with those, just that, we've been leaving behind the starting idea of this game.

Looking at Middle Earth's map and Valoran's map, Lord of the Rings and League of Legends have a lot in common, and I was wondering when League will start to enrich its foundation again?

When will we see orcs? I remember a red, I think it was Meddler or IronStylus, talking about how green skins don't really fit in the game since we have angels, humans, trolls and yordles, but I don't quite agree, if Janna and Morgana can look like elves and dark elves, and if Kayle can portrait angels, and if Trundle's tribe, the Ruhgosk can all co-exist in the same continent of Valoran, and if Vikings exist in Runeterra, as well as all the spirits and mythical creatures of this world, why can't orcs, pure dragons (if any of you remember, Shyvana's father was a dragon, but we ended up getting a hybrid for champion), goblins, dwarves and wizards be more of a common population in the line-up of League of Legends?

I'm just saying, we've been straying a bit far from what this game originally was, a game of magic and mythology, in an age where summoners call upon Legends (hence the name League of Legends) to settle their disputes. But lately, I doubt we've had much "Legends" in our game, so Riot, when are we gonna see more mystical and mythological creatures in the League? Wargs? Wyverns? Beholders maybe? Even though Morello underestimates the concept of Beholders, I think it can be done if you guys give it your all, as you have in the past. I mean, you've even brought Ents to us, we got Maokai.

Edit: Typical GD misunderstanding, felt their fantasy threatened and therefore decide to hate and flame...

There's nothing wrong with the recent line of champions, but when you look at the entire line-up, all of our champions, there's definitely an imbalance. You get 1 troll, 1 centaur, 1 half-dragon, 1 phoenix, and the rest is filled with humans, futuristic warriors and robotic entities.

All I'm saying is we need to even the scale a little, there's a lot we're still missing in league...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT 2: For all of you who think I was just QQ'ing at the lack of orcs, elves and Tolkien characters, you're wrong. I was just using those as an example, Tolkien characters are just a door to a lot of archetypes Riot has yet to make. If you want to know in depth of what I'm hoping to see more of in the League, click this thread of mine, you will not be disappointed and will see exactly what it is I mean: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...php?p=26520777

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

Originally Posted by Celebi (Hozzászólás 33118141)
Which is my entire point, I only used the tolkien nature as an example, but I just want mythology and mythical creatures in general. I'm just sick of seeing hextech, techmaturgy and cyber champions over and over, we've seen them, it's been done, now Riot, move on, give us something fresh... The boxing champion was something a lot of us waited for, and while most of us waited for a gladiator wielding 2 Cestus, we got a rebel punk-style 20 y-o chick wearing half a tutu with thin arms and 10 ton Steampunk fists...

We were hoping for a boxing/fighting champ wielding something like this for fist weapons: Attachment 586350

Stiletto 01-03-2013 11:08 AM

I think that, in general, Tolkien's works represent more of a high fantasy feel while The Hobbit is a smaller foray into swords and sorcery. From the start League of Legends has adopted more of a latter sense of this feel - a more lighthearted approach with quirky champs like Heimerdinger, Corki, Singed and the like. So I don't think that the game has deviated much at all, since these champs were already around at the beginning. Now, a more serious approach to the genre would resemble Dota or HoN, and this reflects in the artwork. You get a lot more of a nitty-gritty feel from both these games.

I don't think introducing elves and orcs would be good, because they're not exactly original. Tolkien broke ground in the fantasy genre by remodeling his broad understanding of Nordic legend, and nowadays people copy the original work with weak imitations by slapping on cookie-cutter elves and orcs and calling it a day. I don't care if there are slightly different modifications; whether you have sky elves or sea orcs or whatever else the case may be - because even using these names is a piggyback on Tolkien's reputation. And Riot is all about creativity.

As for Legends, I believe that the word is up for interpretation. In my opinion, though, the point is that on the arena both the champion and the summoner have the potential to become a legend through their performance, much in the same way an athlete can become a sports legend by consistently doing well and gaining fame.

Sinofminos 01-03-2013 11:10 AM

Why does this game have to remain firmly entrenched in the realm of high Tolkien-esque fantasy? You can go play the Guardians of Middle Earth game if that's all you want in a MOBA. Riot is doing fine with working in a sensible fantasy space that isn't slavishly attached to "tradition".

Invooke 01-03-2013 11:11 AM

Placeholder for witty reply to the replier.

Celebi 01-03-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinofminos (Hozzászólás 33115940)
Why does this game have to remain firmly entrenched in the realm of high Tolkien-esque fantasy? You can go play the Guardians of Middle Earth game if that's all you want in a MOBA. Riot is doing fine with working in a sensible fantasy space that isn't slavishly attached to "tradition".

When did I say that? I was waiting for your type to comment on this thread, the one who disregards what I say and just generalizes, didn't I say there was nothing wrong with the latest few champions? So basically, you're berating me for wanting more medieval and mythical champions, but doesn't that make you just promote more and more futuristic champions? I'm here asking for a mix of both, you're here criticizing the thread so it would be okay for the opposite to be the only remaining type...

Lv 99 Rl0TEN 01-03-2013 11:16 AM

Kinda seems DotA-ish to me. What I like about League is that they aren't "bound" by expectations or rules. And LoL incorporates this so well in their lore.

Uroboros 01-03-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invooke (Hozzászólás 33115961)
Placeholder for witty reply to the replier.

Placeholder for smartass retort.

Celebi 01-03-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rio10ngu (Hozzászólás 33116096)
Kinda seems DotA-ish to me. What I like about League is that they aren't "bound" by expectations or rules. And LoL incorporates this so well in their lore.

Yes, but it's been taking over... DotA still has robots, cyborgs and machines... This is where everyone misunderstands... Clockwerk is a pure robot, Tinker and Timbersaw both use machinery, and so does Gyro. The same as how we have Rumble, Corki and Blitzcrank...

We have only 1 centaur, in 105+ champions, we have yet to get our first pure dragon, an orc, or any love for our only troll in the game, Trundle...

I love how by showing my opinion on what we're missing, everyone comes in here angry and forgets about what we do have and how much it's taking over...

Typical of GD.

dogbiter 01-03-2013 11:20 AM

i would trade yordles for halflings

Ask Tyrant Swain 01-03-2013 11:22 AM

LoL was always a steampunk-magic crossover