League of Legends Community
1234511 ... 14

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   When is the banning system going to change? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2965346)

Iner7ia 01-02-2013 04:15 PM

When is the banning system going to change?

Perhaps this isn't an issue that has been considered by League of Legends players yet, and perhaps it's not important for this game. However, I think some changes need to be made to the draft/ranked banning system to improve the state of the game. You may be wondering what issues I'm talking about, so I'll get right to it.

Problem one: The number of champions in the League

The first problem is that Riot insists on releasing a new champion every 2 weeks or so. I have negative opinions about this, but I'll keep this post relevant. The point is, that there are now a lot of champions in League of Legends -- over one hundred. Do you see where I'm going with this? There are over one HUNDRED champions in the game, and only 6 of them can be banned, blindly. (I'll get to the "blindly" part in a moment). The only thing that you have to go on is the champions that you think are unbalanced, or the champions that you or your teammate doesn't want to lane against because they already have a predetermined idea of who they are going to pick, which makes sense for first pick, since you can get countered.

Problem two: one banning phase

Now, onto the "blind" state of the bans. When banning in League of Legends, each team switches off banning champions they don't like. You can make some assumptions about the enemy team's intentions by guessing what champion would not want to lane against the champions they ban, but with so many champions in the League it still is pretty much guesswork. Before I continue, I will say that this may not be as important of an issue just because perhaps this is the way Riot intends for the game to run. However, as a DotA player, I can see it going better and requiring more strategy and thought. Here's how it works in DotA 2 currently:

-Each team bans 2 heroes(champions), alternating
-Team 1 picks one hero
-Team 2 picks two heroes
-Team 1 picks two heroes
-Team 2 picks 1 hero

At this point, there are 2 heroes banned and 3 heroes picked per team, for a total of 4 bans and 6 picks. Now the game enters a second banning phase.

-Each team bans 3 more heroes, alternating
-Team 1 picks a hero
-Team 2 picks a hero
-Team 1 picks a hero
-Team 2 picks a hero

Now there are 10 heroes banned, and 10 champions picked, and the game begins.

The point is, that in DotA 2, 20 out of the current 95 heroes in the game are used, and rather than banning just undesirable heroes, one can ban a team composition, in a sense. By getting a peek at the first few heroes on a team, it gives the team captain a chance to narrow down the relevant champions to the current game.

Now I'm sure the first thing that may come up is, "League of Legends isn't DotA 2, don't copy it." In the past, I have agreed with that. However, since Riot hasn't really refrained from borrowing their ideas from DotA in the past, I don't really see why not. It's common knowledge that a lot of things in League of Legends are drawn from DotA. Items, champions, essentially the entire game concept including but not limited to Baron Nashor > Roshan backwards pretty much. In my opinion, with the incoming release of DotA 2 officially, the season 3 update has actually made LoL even more like DotA 2, with all of the new active items and such, like the Battle Fury *cough* I mean Ravenous Hydra.

TL;DR
With all of the champions in League of Legends and no known ceiling on how many more are to come, I think Riot needs to implement changes to the banning system, mainly by increasing the number of champions that can get banned but also by having two banning phases rather than one.

Also, though I used DotA's system as an example, I of course would be open to other possible ideas to improve this system. Thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Edit: "I can see this working, but not in normals/non-competitive play"
I made this thread almost entirely with Ranked 5v5 or tournaments in mind. I understand it could be a pain in normals, as the banning phase in DotA's Captain's Mode is traditionally pretty long. With dodging/etc it would be a pain. However, it may be a possibility to add this as a gametype for normals, so that people can see what it's like or just play it because they prefer it. Also, if anyone has ideas for a system that COULD work effectively in normals, feel free to share it.

Edit1: At 40 thumbs up! :)

pmahones 01-02-2013 04:30 PM

I agree, If they continue to increase the champion count they will surely need to increase the number of bans... this only makes sense for the sake of balance.

K├źnfrot 01-02-2013 04:34 PM

I would love to to see a pick > ban > pick > ban style

Iner7ia 01-02-2013 04:44 PM

I think it would improve the gameplay if they did it that way. It would inspire more thought and strategy. I think it's one of the things that stops DotA 2 from always having an unchanging "meta" the way that LoL does.

Iner7ia 01-02-2013 05:29 PM

bump

Iner7ia 01-02-2013 06:36 PM

bump

Spada Lunga 01-02-2013 07:08 PM

I like this. Bump for reds

Iner7ia 01-02-2013 07:10 PM

Thanks man, appreciated.

Iner7ia 01-02-2013 08:11 PM

bump

Iner7ia 01-03-2013 09:54 PM

bump