League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Summoner's Rift (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Trinity force lost its luster? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2964312)

Grizzlier 01-02-2013 09:59 AM

Trinity force lost its luster?

Idk why but it seems that lately I've dropped trinity force from nearly all of my champion builds. Only ones I still use it on are corki and poppy because they love sheen and I don't want to necessarily transition them to a lich bane. And I don't think I'm the only one because I haven't seen trinity force on nearly anyone that I've played with or against. Idk if it's because I've been playing more ranked but it seem that if someone builds a phage now, it becomes frozen mallet. If someone builds a zeal, it becomes phantom dancer. Any thoughts on why tri-force isn't cutting it anymore?

OlGrizz 01-02-2013 10:01 AM

Not to sure myself, maybe it is just the evolution of the game.

Aureline 01-02-2013 10:07 AM

I dunno, I think Trifroce is still core on a lot of champs. There's not really any other item that gives the same chunk of stats all at once, or that allow for other build paths to be pursued.

I can get Triforce on someone like Corki, and then build adc/damage for the rest of the build. I can get Triforce on Jax or Shen and become tanky/dps.

However, in pre3 there are definitely more item buildpaths to check out and pursue. So yeah, it's definitely the game evolving more. There are just more options.

You both have Grizz in your names. :3

OlGrizz 01-02-2013 10:12 AM

Good point but do you think that those champs would be useless without the Triforce.

And yes it seems we do.

Grizzlier 01-02-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aureline (Hozzászólás 33080801)
I dunno, I think Trifroce is still core on a lot of champs. There's not really any other item that gives the same chunk of stats all at once, or that allow for other build paths to be pursued.

I can get Triforce on someone like Corki, and then build adc/damage for the rest of the build. I can get Triforce on Jax or Shen and become tanky/dps.

However, in pre3 there are definitely more item buildpaths to check out and pursue. So yeah, it's definitely the game evolving more. There are just more options.

You both have Grizz in your names. :3

I noticed that, but I am Grizzlier by definition ;P. But back to the topic at hand do you think that trinity force has become sort of a more niche item now than it used to be due to as you've said more build options? Like beforehand I think nearly everyone damaging took it as a starter item that worked for again everyone but now it seems that only people that can make true use out of its wide range of stats use it.
Edit: By the by do you see my name as Grizzlier or TheGrizzlyJew? I changed it a few weeks ago but it seems that on the forums it's showing up as the old name (TheGrizzlyJew).

OlGrizz 01-02-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGrizzlyJew (Hozzászólás 33080963)
I noticed that, but I am Grizzlier by definition ;P. But back to the topic at hand do you think that trinity force has become sort of a more niche item now than it used to be due to as you've said more build options? Like beforehand I think nearly everyone damaging took it as a starter item that worked for again everyone but now it seems that only people that can make true use out of its wide range of stats use it.
Edit: By the by do you see my name as Grizzlier or TheGrizzlyJew? I changed it a few weeks ago but it seems that on the forums it's showing up as the old name (TheGrizzlyJew).

I see it as TheGrizzlyJew in here, my question is when you are playing a champ such as corki have you tried not using the Triforce and if so what was the out come?

Aureline 01-02-2013 10:26 AM

Hmm.

Let's unpack Trifroce a bit then. It gives 30 AD, AP, a fair bit of crit chance, attack speed, movement speed, health, mana, and two useful unique passives all for 4200 gold, which is a bit of a steep price tag, over time.

I don't think it's really a niche item. Like I said before, you're still not going to find that chunk of stats in one item. It's still going to be core on a lot of champs. I do think, however, that you won't see it as much on Ezreal or Corki, the sort of manahungry champs that use a lot of abilities to do their damage since other items like Iceborn Gauntlet exist.

It does bear stating though that TF remains only one of three items to give both AD and AP, the others being Gunblade and Rageblade. Only certain kind of champs get Gunblade and Rageblade, but a much wider variety of champs can get TF and benefit from it.

The question of it being cost-effective is definitely a good one, though. For 4200 gold you better be using every single one of those stats.

Corki certainly isn't useless without Triforce. With Jax I can't really imagine not having it, though - or, at least, building something out of Phage.

EDIT for OlGrizz: I prefer building Corki straight ADC. I haven't tried Hurricane on him though. I only really get Triforce on him if going the Muramana route.

Grizzlier 01-02-2013 10:42 AM

I think that for the champs that I mentioned that get the most use out of tri-force is that they really get the most use out of sheen which they want to transition at some point and they figure eh why not have a slow proc and some crit chance over lich bane because most likely they'll be like "lich bane? I'm not going AP hah" even though they can probably get more use out of it at a lower cost =P.

Yea I think the main thing that is a deterrent for me is the cost of tri-force. Why would I go for tri-force on my bruiser after building phage when I can get frozen mallet which has a perma-slow, more health, and is loads cheaper. Why would I get tri-force after I build zeal when I can get phantom dancer for again less with more benefits?

And with this mentality I don't think I'll ever build tri-force afterwards because it really is a mid game item that's useful in the sense that you have all around nice stats and a decent utility with it so you're ready to go. But then in the late game it becomes less useful because A) you can build items that stack a certain stat to the supreme and do a lot of damage or take a lot of damage and B) the usefulness of the "utility" type items goes up substantially and trinity force doesn't have that sort of use.

Aureline 01-02-2013 10:51 AM

The issue I run into is redundancy in the build. I keep using Jax as an example because I probably play him the most out of the champs I've been mentioning.

After Wriggles I turn Phage into Triforce. If my team is losing by the time I get Triforce, I'll build into Warmogs and try to eat damage and tank. Instead of Warmogs, I used to get Frozen Mallet, until someone told me that getting that was useless when you have the Triforce proc already.

So if you just turn Phage into Frozen Mallet rather than getting Triforce, you're sacrificing crit chance, movement speed, a host of other stats that you might need.

It's silly to try and create a "MEGATRIFORCE" by getting Frozen Mallet, Phantom Dancer, Gauntlet combo. The cost of those three items combined is pretty ridiculous.

Whether or not Triforce is worth it depends entirely on your build, what you need. I still think it's valuable as a core item for champs. The pre3 changes I think give more flexibility to accent it, or replace it. But yes, you might see it less. There's still not really an item that replaces it completely.

Shiku12 01-02-2013 10:53 AM

I havent seen to much of it, but I think triforce is sitll viable on a lot of champions, but no one ever thinks about it. The last time a saw a triforce was in season 2 on a corki