League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Summoner's Rift (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Why is Ashe such a popular pick? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2960590)

Krypteria 01-01-2013 12:42 AM

Why is Ashe such a popular pick?

Why is Ashe such a popular pick when she is countered by almost every other ADC in the game and most supports,
-Ezreal
-Graves
-Draven
-Vayne
-Varus
-Caitlyn
-Sivir
-Twitch
-Blitzcrank
-Taric
ect... all counter her and yet she is still picked a lot,
Her early game is OK but she is really slow (Movement wise) and has next to no escape ability (If she gets ganked ect...) Her late game is ehh unless she's really fed and the only thing thats really useful about her is her ultimate (for initiating or getting those skill shot kills across the map) and her hawkshot for viewing un-warded area's of the map (Can be used to counter baron/dragon ect...)

She also counters barely any champs herself the only ones she counters hard are Miss fortune, Corki and Darius thats about it so Ashe players have to pretty much pray that there laning against MF or Corki with Darius support or get an early lead to get some feeling of lane dominance which comes back to my previous question why is Ashe such a popular pick when she is so strongly countered?

KingClement 01-01-2013 02:04 AM

Free week, that's why.

Martyrofsand 01-01-2013 03:25 AM

Dat Ashe

McStickly 01-01-2013 03:53 AM

Yeah it is probably because, last week she was one of the free to play champs.

NO 5cop3 01-01-2013 04:22 AM

if this is a serious question ashes frost arrows and her ult are her get away if needed... she is sooo good her E makes her farm more gold then anyone plus she has a ward with E to say that all those champs counter her is BS a good ashe has no counters.

Durentis 01-01-2013 06:10 AM

I absolutely love Ashe, have been using her since the tutorial, and so far have been doing pretty well with her. I have died 9 times in my last 9 games (most of them avoidable).. all victories. And I tend to get a lot of buddy requests after games. However, I'm only a L13 summoner at the moment (and being paired with people several levels beyond me for some reason) so take what I say as you will but I don't see any reason thus far why my build/style won't serve me well through L30.

I think there are a lot of misconceptions about her (likely I have my own) and guides I read are full of contradiction. In fact, even in the OP (as many guides) there is no mention of Hawkshot's passive. Ashe is self-feeding and if you capitalize on this you end up with a massive lead in gold for endgame items which in turns significantly helps your team reach victory. Rushing Avarice Blade into Statikk Shiv works awesome for me and I get it very early in laning yet the last guide I read responded to a comment to this effect simply with "No.", which is rather unfortunate, imo.

People are generally too focused on champion matchups in laning and I tend to take whatever lane I'm in rather than lose it despite not focusing on killing the opposing champs. I attribute this largely to careful zoning and stomping on opposing aggression. Her speed is rarely an issue as I start with the initial boots and by midgame have the +15 enchanted Ionian boots and other movement speed items. I also don't have to waste valuable laning gold on excessive amounts of health potions.

This focus on champion matchups pushes people to take Frost Shot over Hawkshot early on but this is counter to your role. You need to get gold early so that you are more effective in team fighting later. Attacking champions in the lane should be done only incidentally but at every opportunity. Be satisfied with small gains (such as forcing them to heal instead of gain xp/gold) rather than getting out of position and suddenly feeling slow and squishy. Ashe is very durable and fast enough if you maintain your positioning.

If you do lose a lane in a slow retreat, it's generally not the end of the world because you got what you needed out of the laning phase and didn't feed the enemy. Now you're ready to push with your team where required.

Her ulti is bloody amazing for team fights, random opportunity kills, and evasion all. Ashe needs to cap cooldown reduction but I suspect this is generally overlooked for AD and defenses. I used to get defenses when I was first learning Ashe but they don't help enough when you're out of position and they don't help your team offensively when you're safely in position.

I also take exception to summoner spells selected by most guides. I was looking forward to L12 for so long to get Flash until I realized I rarely had need of it for evasion and few times where it would be helpful in chasing someone down. I don't think it's bad, but I find Barrier more generally helpful to me. Heal/Clarity? No - use B. Ghost? No - stay in position and be happy with small gains. Teleport should be a required spell.. Ashe needs to be globally mobile - she's meant to carry the team, not a lane. Barrier (with good positioning) is generally useful for fending off bursts and occasional mistakes.

I get a lot of kills, but generally more assists. I wear the assists as a badge of honour and confirmation that I'm fulfilling my role. As I keep telling people in game, there are no kill steals in a team game (though it would be nice if folk know the investment/benefits of helping their carry feed while laning by backing off of last hits when they can).

Anyway, I pick Ashe because she fits my play style and is able to contribute very well to a team victory. Can't really speak for others. Sorry for the rambling. ;)

McFace 01-01-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durentis (Hozzászólás 33044207)
People are generally too focused on champion matchups in laning and I tend to take whatever lane I'm in rather than lose it despite not focusing on killing the opposing champs. I attribute this largely to careful zoning and stomping on opposing aggression.

You'll find as you progress through the levels closer to 30, champ match ups WILL matter a whole lot more. Skill levels and champ understanding go up as people figure stuff out.

When 2 players are of equal skill, but one is playing a hard counter to the other's champ, then they will probably win the laning phase unless you change strategies (lane swapping, large amount of roaming, etc. etc.).

On the topic of Ashe's lack of escapes and general survivibility, when I'm playing as an assassin (generally Kha'zix) I'm always happy to see ashe on the opposing team. Once close, she really has no escape. Most people coming after you are going to have some way to deal with your slow at close range, and unless you take flash you have no escape. So you pop your ult? Okay you saved yourself......probably. But in a team fight that is a waste of an ult, and to actually save yourself you either have to run away from the person focusing you or kill them before the stun wears off. Most teams are okay with it if you focus their assassin characters over their ad/ap carry.

TehJosh2 01-01-2013 06:57 AM

How many other ADCs do you know that have

-A cross map stun
-Built in perma slow
-Free gold from E

Her E and Q don't even do any damage at all, so of course she's not going to stack up against any other adc 1v1. I can't even believe frost arrows didn't make it onto your list of "only useful things about Ashe". Q is a permanent slow for gods sake! As in it never ends! (tenacity can't touch me)

But yeah, gotta play dat Ashe for TONS OF DAMA...utility.

Aamon2500 01-01-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durentis (Hozzászólás 33044207)
People are generally too focused on champion matchups in laning and I tend to take whatever lane I'm in rather than lose it despite not focusing on killing the opposing champs. I attribute this largely to careful zoning and stomping on opposing aggression. Her speed is rarely an issue as I start with the initial boots and by midgame have the +15 enchanted Ionian boots and other movement speed items. I also don't have to waste valuable laning gold on excessive amounts of health potions.

You will notice a huge change in skill level when you reach a higher level. At that time you'll also notice how easily ashe is countered. If you don't have flash you have a bigger chance of getting ganked. Yeah your ult stuns but some champs have slow or stun spells themselves. Meaning even if you have the Ionian someone can still close the distace and gank you or even use a long range ult (Ezreal).

Butterman Jr 01-01-2013 07:05 AM

Because seeing every player post "OMFGWTFROFL!!!!" when you blind-shot your ult at carefully determined location in to the fog of war to catch a runner who thought he was in the clear makes your day.

Other than that, she offers a little of everything -- great CC with "Q" & "E", farming and poking with "E", scouting with "R" -- and is simply a lot of fun to play.