League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Help my Poppy pop (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2960266)

Mikkir 12-31-2012 10:04 PM

Help my Poppy pop

I'm having trouble with poppy. Every time I try to lane with her she gets pushed around and I can't get any farm. For example last game I had a Corki and Nunu against me in top lane and I could never really get any kills without taking a lot of damage. With the ranged peoples ability to stay out of turret range and push be out of creep range I just had a terrible game. It's happened with ashe also.

Any advise?

It's killing me because I read the highest ranked guide on mobafire just to get a general idea of what I want to build, I never get the money to actually progress into mid game. I end up underfunded and I often times have to run around clearing creeps because I end up so easy to kill in group fights.

Any help for Poppy?

Kirielis 12-31-2012 10:54 PM

mobafire sucks

and now that that's out of the way

Learn to farm under tower. Learn to farm creeps, not champions. Creeps are a steady source of gold. Build a philo stone for regen, and because reverie is epic and gp10 doesn't hurt.

Mikkir 12-31-2012 11:47 PM

I don't think you quite understand the problem I'm having. If I get in front of the tower to hit minions I get hit. If I stand behind the tower then they can shoot my tower. My gap closer has a very short range and takes both of us out of range of the tower.

When I play a melee person I can generally farm ok, but it seems like every fight I have it's ashe, corki, and either nunu or orianna.

And if you say that mobefire sucks then I'll believe you, but I don't know where else to go for information. I checked out lolpro also and they have one guide that's out of date for poppy.

Jcornett 01-01-2013 08:55 AM

I believe solomids site has a guide by zekent. But tbh mobafire is like anything else, thrre are good guides and bad ones. Use your judgement.

Poppy is just one of the worst 2v1 champs i can think of. If you get stuck in a lane like that buy like a rejuvenation flask and a million hp pots. Run out q the creep run back. Hopefully they will dive you because with a kill or two you should be able to duke it out with them.

iDpark 01-01-2013 09:47 AM

If you're at the level where people 2v1 top lane, as poppy, you're kinda screwed.

Grab as much EXP/gold you can, delay the loss of your tower. (It will happen. )
Force dragons.

Buy Flask + Pots + ward.
Ward your tri, you'll will die 1v3.

Get w first, Ult if they dive you 2v1.

Rice Fertilizer 01-01-2013 10:03 AM

Yeah It's going to suck 2v1 top lane with Poppy since you lose your turret fast, and won't get as much farm. The thing Is I suck with getting farm even with a 1v1 at top, so I'm very dependent on kills. In a 2v1, it's much easier to kill someone with Poppy, because of your final.You have the upper hand for Poppy since there is 2 people at top with your final and leveling up faster, use it and think of a strategy, find the weakest champ there, the one with the lowest farm, and take advantage of your higher level and kill one of them using your final on the stronger champ then aiming after the weaker one.

Mikkir 01-02-2013 07:42 AM

Ok, so I've played a bit more and I have another question regarding how I should build Poppy.

How do I build Poppy?

I'm getting crossed signals from the different guildes and her recommended items. Her recommended items has trinity force and gunblade, but those are both very expensive and don't seem to have the bang for the buck that my opponents gear has. It also leaves me in a really odd place where I run straight into the opponents defences without any mitigation (this is on top of my already dismal lane phase that I've been having, often 2v1).

The few guides that I've seen have really been confusing me even more. One has her going all AD + crit (Infinity edge, bloodthirster, black cleaver, berzerkers, phantom dancer). Another has her going all AP (dfg, deathcap, voidstaff, hourglass, sorc treads).

With these mixed signals I'm not sure which way is better for her to build. Will she do ok if you don't build any armor/magic penetration? Is it better to go middle of the road (trinity force/gunblade), or is it better to focus on AD or AP so you can get penetration and shread effects.?

Dogo4 01-02-2013 10:58 AM

Poppy can do two roles: AD bruiser or AP assassin. I guess she could AD assassin, but I don't think it's as strong as AP assassin. AP assassin - get a DCap, DFG, and lichbane and destroy 1-2 enemies during your ult. Bruiser, take TForce + some defensive items (maw, atma's, etc) and wade through their team. Iceborn gauntlet can be useful if you're the second-tankiest one on the team... but TForce if you've got a beefy jungler and a Leona/Taric-type support.

Poppy's an uphill battle with her lack of sustain, lack of range, and VERY situational tackle. Good luck on it =)

Lord Puppy Fury 01-02-2013 12:01 PM

Don't pay too much attention to recommended items. They often range from sub-optimal to downright goofy.

Then, understand which role you need to fill on the specific team that you're on. Do you have a LeBlanc or Diana mid? Then you probably need to be an AD bruiser. Does your team lack gap closers and burst? Then you may want to go for assassin.

Additionally, if you're struggling with gold, consider opting for whichever build is cheaper. It's not the best solution, but it may be the most useful solution for you at the moment.

Finally, understand where your champion is supposed to shine. Poppy is like Ryze or Vayne. Laning phase is Pure. Black. Hell. Expect to get bullied. Expect to take harass. Expect to probably lose your tower. Keep farming. Buy pots like crazy to endure the pain and keep hitting creeps. Particularly at your level, your opponents (smurfs not withstanding) aren't going to be very good at harassing you and keeping up their CS. Out farm them. If you lose tower, freeze the lane up your end of the map and keep farming. You do not need early kills. You need to hunker down, farm, and wait for your time. There's a certain point where Poppy hits critical mass and comes into her own. Learn to endure until then.

Mikkir 01-02-2013 01:32 PM

Well, sounds like I have been too hard on myself. Not that I was playing particularly well, but if my expectation of laning should be to delay losing my tower and not actually winning the lane then that changes how I judge my performance. Since both AD and AP are possible I need to figure out when I should do one over the other, especially since they don't really have much in common besides basic boots.

If anyone has more input I would like to hear it, but what has already been said helps a lot. I'll have to see if I can get whomper going and get some good kills. Especially with the red armor skin, cuz armored pigtails are OP.