League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Newb Ranked Problems (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2959599)

Kellyjackson 12-31-2012 05:00 PM

Newb Ranked Problems

Objective: Place in 1500+ Elo (gold) on my main acct

Things You Should Know:
1. Played DOTA/WC3 for about 5 years
2. Play SC2
3. Have been playing league for about 6 months (started late this summer)
4. Have 1k+ normal wins on 2 lol accts. Win Pct - 54% total
5. Have been watching streams from various players (Dyrus, Chaox, Regi, Wingsofdeath, Hotshotgg, doublelift, scarra etc.)
6. I can play at least 2-3 champs very well for each role.

With this said I have knowledge of Micro, Kiting, and Peeling and am starting to become comfortable with LoL and understanding the various champions limits and capabilites.

My smurf (which my friend used) was at 700 Elo which I raised to 1100 this week.

Things I want to know:
1. Should I wait to place on my main? and Ranked que on my smurf until I know im at a certain Elo ?
2. Does the Elo of my partner in duo que matter ? (IE if I win my first 10 games can I still place really high although my partner is at 1200-1300?)
3. When do I know im a Gold+ player ?
4. Any other tips I should know ?
5. Does my previous Elo from Season 2 matter in season 3 ? I f'd up hard and played ranked on my main before I was ready and got placed in 1200-1300 elo bracket right before S2 ended

I really want to become better at League and place in a high elo bracket. Any advice would be great.

-KellyJackson

Kellyjackson 12-31-2012 09:56 PM

Bump

Kirielis 12-31-2012 11:03 PM

1. If you're 1500 rated, you will make 1500 eventually, though it may take a tad longer if you get unlucky. However, if you were 1300 at end S2, it's unlikely that your skill has improved to the 1500 point at the moment.

2. The amount of +/- elo I got for placements did not vary significantly. Duoed one with a 1100, one 1400, two 1700, and all got +/- ~40. (3W/1L if you were wondering.) This is anecdotal evidence.

3. Without seeing you play, I can't evaluate in detail; from your summoner profile, I rather think you have the mechanics to make 1400 but not the understanding of item builds.

4. Elo hell does not exist. Solomid is a better place to go for guides than mobafire. Building situationally is important, but so are core items.

5. In the 1200-1300 S2 range, no, it doesn't matter - you were reset close enough to 1200 that for all intents and purposes you're 1200.

Kellyjackson 01-01-2013 12:09 PM

Should i duo que with people in the 1400-1500 elo to place in that bracket or should i duo with my 1100-1200 friends ?

ExecutionerK 01-01-2013 12:11 PM

General rule of thumb

Don't duo with people with more than 200-300 elo differences, due to the skill differences will often make it hard for both players. In term of teammates and game concept.

Etherimp 01-01-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExecutionerKen (Hozzászólás 33051683)
General rule of thumb

Don't duo with people with more than 200-300 elo differences, due to the skill differences will often make it hard for both players. In term of teammates and game concept.

This is huge, especially during your placement matches.

During your placement matches, queue by yourself. I find I have much more success solo-queuing than Duo-queuing, unless I know for a fact that the player I am queuing with can carry games at the level of Elo I am attempting to obtain, or higher.

I actually kind of screwed myself in placement matches, and now I'm working on clawing myself up to where I *feel* I belong, and I am slowly getting there but it would have been much easier if I had queued by myself and won 7/3 placement matches (which is totally realistic.)

Kellyjackson 01-01-2013 04:11 PM

Should i just ranked que on my smurf until I know im at the elo I want to be at... then place on my main ?

it seems like the best route to take atm

Etherimp 01-01-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellyjackson (Hozzászólás 33058464)
Should i just ranked que on my smurf until I know im at the elo I want to be at... then place on my main ?

it seems like the best route to take atm

Practice on your alt, and then go on your main only when you feel you are in the perfect mindset to play. That's what I'd do anyway. Last season I played 16 matches, and went 12/4, and obtained 1512 Elo in less than 20 games simply because I ONLY played when I felt like playing ranked games... and I dodged any game that I felt my team was not up to snuff when it came to picks/attitude. It paid off. Out of the 4 games I lost, 3 of them were due to trolls/bad picks. Out of the 12 games I won, I can honestly say only maybe 3 of them were carried hard by other players and I did not have a strong showing. Oddly enough, those matches were all in the 1300 range.