League of Legends Community
1234511 ... 24

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What Makes a Jungler a Jungler to Riot? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2955354)

Metalgolem 12-30-2012 07:08 AM

What Makes a Jungler a Jungler to Riot?

Lately Riot has been sticking most of their new champions in the jungle (Vi, Elise, Zed) but none of them are really made for the jungle. I think the last champion that was actually made to go into the jungle and not a lane was Skarner; and since him, every "jungler" Riot has released has been simply tossed into top or mid lane because they are more useful there (Rengar, Diana, Kha'zix). Is Riot just missing the mark on trying to make a viable jungler or are they simply trying to give junglers more options?

NeoBluereaper 12-30-2012 07:09 AM

Good Utility makes a good jungler.

Metalgolem 12-30-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoBluereaper (Hozzászólás 32980937)
Good Utility makes a good jungler.

And the closest thing to that was Diana and she is really only used in mid lane now.

NeoBluereaper 12-30-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metalgolem (Hozzászólás 32980953)
And the closest thing to that was Diana and she is really only used in mid lane now.

Yes if you ignore:

Lee sin
Maokai
Vi
Naut
etc

GlavTech 12-30-2012 07:12 AM

Riots general tag for a jungler (as far as the in game client) seems to be a mix of Sustain and Ganks, with a small amount of thought towards clear time.

IE: Season One is still what they follow, in terms of the in game clients tag.

Metalgolem 12-30-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoBluereaper (Hozzászólás 32980971)
Yes if you ignore:

Lee sin
Maokai
Vi
Naut
etc

How am I ignoring them? I'm saying we haven't had a champion that fit the role of a jungler since Skarner, all of them except Vi (who is only decent in jungle imo) have been released before Skarner if I'm not mistaken

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlavTech (Hozzászólás 32980986)
Riots general tag for a jungler (as far as the in game client) seems to be a mix of Sustain and Ganks, with a small amount of thought towards clear time.

IE: Season One is still what they follow, in terms of the in game clients tag.

Rengar and Kha'zix both decent clear times, sustain, and pretty good ganks, but they are both mostly used in the top lanes now, which makes me think they are just missing the mark on making a good jungler

CertainlyT 12-30-2012 07:24 AM

Hecarim, Nautilus, Sejuani, Shyvana all belie your statement.

As to making champions "for the jungle", I am not sure why a designer would even accept that as a goal. Champions that can function in multiple game roles are healthier champions, since more people can access them and explore their abilities in a variety of contexts.

GlavTech 12-30-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CertainlyT (Hozzászólás 32981142)
Hecarim, Nautilus, Sejuani, Shyvana all belie your statement.

As to making champions "for the jungle", I am not sure why a designer would even accept that as a goal. Champions that can function in multiple game roles are healthier champions, since more people can access them and explore their abilities in a variety of contexts.

Warwick was clearly designed as a jungler. As was nocturne.

CertainlyT 12-30-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlavTech (Hozzászólás 32981151)
Warwick was clearly designed as a jungler. As was nocturne.

And yet both are completely viable in lane. The OP seems to be suggesting that a champion "for the jungle" is one that cannot be played effectively outside of the jungle.

BrightnShiny 12-30-2012 07:28 AM

Inappropriate comment stomped by CertainlyT

-Hah! :D

Still can say... :<