League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   @RiotDerivative Introduction? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2945891)

GhostPool 12-27-2012 02:25 AM

@RiotDerivative Introduction?

Never seen you around and many are wondering what a Data Scientist is?

GhostPool 12-27-2012 02:26 AM

Self bump~

Judgesin 12-27-2012 02:33 AM

i want to know too.

i love maths and lol

Muhshuhu 12-27-2012 02:34 AM

bump

I like it when Rioters tells us what they do to help make this game great.

GhostPool 12-27-2012 02:55 AM

Bump!

TheMasterZails 12-27-2012 07:49 AM

I would like to see his/her background and how he/she was hired at Riot.

Please RiotDerivative give us the data!

RiotDerivative 12-27-2012 12:40 PM

Greetings Summoners!

I am RiotDerivative and I am a Data Scientist at Riot Games. I was hired back in October and have finally gotten around to answering some data related posts. I see some people doing some cool stuff with data on the forums. That is how I got started in my field -- pulling interesting data and doing something with it. In my case, I used to crawl Twitter and Facebook and analyze tweets and FB profiles and the connections they exposed.

A little about my background if anyone is curious. I went to UCLA and majored in Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science. I continued onto grad school at UCLA and continued studying Statistics and Computer Science (I decided proofs were not for me) and am currently a Ph.D. candidate in Statistics at UCLA. Hoping to be Dr. Derivative this summer.

The title "Data Scientist" is relatively new in industry (about 5 years). It is a mix of a bunch of different disciplines: mostly data analysis, statistics, machine learning and computer science. Where, say, a Data Analyst focuses on analyzing data, and a Statistician focuses on predicting the future, a Data Scientist has experience in the entire "data" process. We write code to extract data in hard to reach places such as by scraping, web crawling, parsing XML/JSON/HTML and by working with "big data" packages like Hadoop. Then we analyze and visualize the data for consumption by others and build models that explain trends in play, player behavior and how to make the player's LoL experience better. Finally, we work with engineers to turn these models into scalable code that actually makes decisions and has effect on the game. In all of this, my specialty is in text mining and training computers to understand written text. The biggest thing that distinguishes a Data Scientist from a Data Analyst or Statistician is extensive programming and algorithms experience.

Before joining Riot, I worked in the web ads industry trying to use data to get people to click on ads. It wasn't for me. I had heard a lot about the work that Riot was doing in the Big Data space and how interesting the data sounded. I contemplated applying online, but was worried that I did not have enough LoL experience. Oddly enough, a day or two after I last looked at the job notice, I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn and the rest is history. In my case, they looked more at my interest and passion of working with the type of data generated by games and their players than my overall gaming experience. Most of my gaming experience was in simulation games such as Sim City, Tropico, etc. I also played a lot of Angry Birds and for a couple of years was majorly addicted to Zynga games like Farmville and CityVille. While playing those games I became intrigued by the type of data produced by players and how it can be used to improve the game.

TL;DR Graduated from UCLA, do cool stuff with data and developing algorithms to make the LoL experience better. :-)

Zerglinator 12-27-2012 12:41 PM

Will you be on the forums often?

Landers 12-27-2012 12:41 PM

I have dat Tango tf skin.

Epjest 12-27-2012 12:43 PM

I know there's a lot of questions for you, but the big one we all must know is...

Do you tango like your avatar?