League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The gay stereotype (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2940267)

Sokadikos 12-25-2012 07:59 AM

The gay stereotype

I'm curious, how do you guys imagine a gay guy? Because everytime I tell people I am gay, they say they are surprised because I have a deep voice and don't "act" gay... it's kind of annoying because I don't think sexuality defines one's personality.

Destaice 12-25-2012 08:04 AM

Well I image a gay guy as a man with another man's genitalia inside his mouth and or anus.

Elan Tedronai 12-25-2012 08:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 580958

Powerstoned 12-25-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sokadikos (Hozzászólás 32820432)
I'm curious, how do you guys imagine a gay guy? Because everytime I tell people I am gay, they say they are surprised because I have a deep voice and don't "act" gay... it's kind of annoying because I don't think sexuality defines one's personality.

Sadly since so many gay men play up the stereotype, it's what most people recognise as "gay". I live in Seattle, and maybe 20% of my male friends are gay. When it's me & one of my gay friends hanging out at each others house, or a group of straight guys and 1 gay guy all hanging out, my gay friends don't act the stereotype. If they're not around other gays or people they don't know, they're just a lazy slob who like to smoke pot and play video games like the rest of us. But when we go out to gay clubs, or hang out with large groups of people they don't know, or when around other gay guys, the stereotype comes out.
The flittery hand gestures come out, the voice changes, and they all of a sudden care about their appearance. I just smile as they put on a show for others. I love my gay friends like any other, but they bring on the stereotype themselves. It's the same deal when I hang out with my black brother in law or other black friends. Normal video game playing, lazy pot smoker guy in private when not around other black guys, but full on "gangsta" comes out when around his "brothas".

It's hard for to feel sorry for people who get stereotyped when the majority do it to themselves.

Colonel J 12-25-2012 09:47 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWzJ88G5neI

(Minus the makeup.)

Jesus the Friend 12-25-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powerstoned (Hozzászólás 32822281)
all gay men play up the stereotype

Sokadikos 12-25-2012 02:28 PM

I never felt like I should act a certain way because I'm gay, it just disturbed me when people started saying I should act more gay since I am, seriously, why the hell should I act a way that doesn't make me feel like I am being myself?

Mere Intricacy 12-25-2012 03:52 PM

Most of my male friends are gay...
One is still in the closet to his parents. He's had a boyfriend before but is really quite about it. He's a bit of an odd child. But respectful, friendly guy.
Another is in my physics class. I only know because of his facebook relationship status that he's gay. Very very smart. Was doing like 7 subjects this semester, just crazy.
Ummm Zac. God I love Zac, he is loved by everyone and wears bowties <3. Kind of hipster indie guy. And just a very calm sweet guy.

And well the last one, is probably to most stereotypical. He's always on ginder. And well he's grumpy when he hasn't been laid it a couple days...

Ummm I don't think are really stereotypical in terms of dress and speaking wtc

MisterTitanic 12-25-2012 05:11 PM

your name is sokadikos. and you're gay.

is it just me or did anyone else pronouce it suck a dick o's

vcadoda 12-25-2012 05:49 PM

I think it is more of a rhetorical question, ask yourself can you somewhat differentiate between someone who is and someone who is not.

Not all stereotypes are true, but some on average have slight merit based on correlations.