Questions of a Noob (At level 24 can I still call myself a noob?)
1. What is the best way to practice last hitting ? I have done 1v0, Coop and PVP and yet I still struggle with it, especially with melee characters. It seems I take so much harass when I try to last hit with melee I am always behind.
2. My CS drops off horribly once we start team fighting, If I leave my team to get some farm then they engage in a team fight and lose. If I stay with team they never engage. Is there a solution to this problem? I feel like I have good map \ situational awareness.
3. I have been practicing all the roles of the game (Top, Jungle, Mid, Bot, Support) and feel like I have a grasp of them all but feel like I need more work, is anyone willing to add me so I can run a few matches with people that actually know what they are doing and could give me some pointers? I usually ask after every game for tips but very rarely do I get feed back.
4. I ran WW in the Jungle for the first time in a Coop game last night (I know coop is bad, but I like to try things out in coop before PVP) and was wondering if he is a legitimate Jungler at higher levels. He has no ganking ability to speak of till 6 so should I just try and farm jungles, counter jungle and ward until then?
5.When I play tanks I really seem to get my butt kicked. I was under the impression that I am suppose to initiate team fights (If I have CC) and soak up as much damage as possible to allow my DPS\ADC\APC to clean them up. Usually I end up taking the focus of the other team and being left in the middle of the enemy team while my team runs away. Am I doing something wrong?
6. When I play top I get spanked when I am using Jax, Nasus, Cho, Malphite. The only characters that I seem to do well with up top is Garen and Teemo. Any tips for Top champs ?
7. Every time I do a match (coop or PVP) I place wards. I am usually the only one who does. Am I wasting my time? I want to do it so it is ingrained in me when I reach ranked. Is this the correct thing to do?
8. Is it a waste of time to practice Support at my level (24) ? When I run support it is usually wasted.
More to come when I remember them. Thanks in advance for the help.
2.Depends what role your playing really. But, running teleport will help you get to the fights faster. You could play a tanky champion and then you can choose when to start the fight.
3. I could play some with you if you want. I'm by no means pro, but I'll help if I can.
4. He's a decent jungler especially in the new jungle. Playing Co-op is a good place to start too. As for ganking as WW his whole niche is based around his ulti. I don't jungle myself so someone else could shine more light on this.
5. It honestly depends on your team. In a solo que it's always a toss up if you'll get a team that'll follow the tank. In a pre-made however it's different.
6. Look who you're up against. Everyone top has that point in the game where they dominonate. For someone like garen that's his early game. If you're playing against someone like Darius it's better to let him push and turn the lane into a farm-fest.
7.Yes. That's what splites the good players from the bad one. It's good you're forcing it into yourself to place them. Remember; It's not just the support's and jungler's job to place them.
8. Again it's really a toss up in solo que. My advice is to get with a friend and support you know can play a adc well.
Hope this helps one way or the other.
I can answer a couple, but I'm not a great player or anything(lv 30 noob :D).
1. Its taking me a long time, but the best way I've found to practice last hitting is playing mid. If your melee character has a ranged poke to keep em away you can usually use that to help keep em off your back if you're about to go kill a couple.
2. Same here, and I'm not too good at map awareness(such an awesome thing to have!). I can say it depends alot on what role your doing though, the damage dealers usually end up scooping up most of the CS once it the lanes turn to chaos, sometimes not even on purpose lol. Best I can say is since you're good at the map, just keep an eye out for clusters of minions during times you know they won't be ready to gank. Also, I'm not sure how viable it is ranked, but I'll stop and kill wolves/wraiths when nothing is going on and it seems to help at times
3. You can definitely add me, but I'm not sure I could teach you much :)
4. I'm absolutely dreadful at jungling, but I've seen people say he's the easiest jungler but also one of the weakest.
5. I'm having a rough time with tanks myself. I think it depends on the champ, but I think all tanks end up with that fate at some point(stuck in enemy team and yours flees). All I've been able to do to reduce this is to try and predict better when the team fight is gonna go down, and not initiate until it seems like everyone on your side is ready to jump in. It's impossible to tell for sure on random games, but if your buds are chomping at the bit sometimes you can see it :) Also, I'm trying lately to stop trying to play like a tank when I either don't have much defense or when the team doesn't want to fully engage. I try to mostly pick a different role to play(like pick a guy to support as Alistar, or start poking like you were playing mid with Maokai) as until a teamfight breaks out then go back to being a tank, and it kinda helps to keep me from going crazy hehe.
6. I'm not too good with most top champs, but it seems to matter alot up there to buy some defense and mercury's treads. I'm not sure if this is the best advice though, as the only times I've really done alright top were when my partner up there was awesome or it was a weird/bad matchup for the enemies. I can tell ya from the opposite end though when an enemy Jax starts doing nice dmg, he'll often take off through the woods, grab some buffs, and gank everything he can for a while. Alot of times he can get one or two easy kills like that, then it starts descending into madness hehe.
7. Wards are awesome, but I generally still have the same experience with them as you. I think its a great thing to get used to though, because while they might not help at all sometimes, they seem to more than make up for it later. I've seen a good deal of teamfights go one way or the other because of a ward(especially around baron), and they'll often save your life if you're by yourself.
8. Hmm, if you keep getting partners that won't cooperate with ya, then yeah it might be good to avoid the support role in random games. Alot of support characters seem to still do well in other roles, so you could still try and start going AP or something if your laning partner isnt coordinating with you well. It's rough because your reliant on others, but that can be a good thing at times. For example, if I'm supporting a guy who's just amazing at the game, it ends up being more effective than if I played my best damage dealer. Support is really fun when it works out, and I kinda enjoy not having to worry about CS some games :D
Well I hope some of that can help ya out, I either had or am still having most of these issues, so I'll keep an eye out here myself :) Good luck!
Hello Chopinator, ill answer some of your questions, i have over 1100 games won and my top elo (b4 the new system) was 1500+.
1)If you are getting harassed with a melee champ just let your enemy push the creep back to your tower and tower farm. the trick to it is, for melee minions: let the tower hit it twice then last hit it. for ranged minions: hit it once, let the tower hit it, then last hit. if you have a ranged lane mate (hopefully support if you are ADC) then tell them to poke to keep the enemy back.
2)never be idle, if you are running through the jungle to go fight, pick up wolves or wraiths on the way. 5 or 6 seconds wont matter much. or take teleport you can go get into a fight and port back to lane, or vice versa. either way dont neglect the jungle. the jungler shouldnt miss them those creeps spawn really fast.
3)sure, add me in game id be glad to run with you.
4)WW is a great jungler because, 1) his clear time is excelent 2) he has great survival and will have HP to gank. WW can gank just fine before 6. you can take flash or ghost as a spell or exaust, wait till they over extend then blast out of a bush and jump on them. remember your team mates have stuns and stuff too just ping, type GO, then do it.
5)tanks can naturally take more damage than the carry, so you want the team to focus you. that doesnt mean you can sit there and get pounded and not die (this isnt WOW) but tanks have alot of CC, some mitigation mechanic like a shield and dont need damage items (mostly) so can build defensive. remember to counter build the enemy team (like thornmail against AD Yi) and after you initiate dont just stand there, try to get out, they will naturally try to chase you (its instinct) then your team can pick them off.
6)Longevity. playing a solo top is all about staying in lane with good mana and HP for as long as possible. Cho uses alot of mana but can keep them at a distance. try starting with boots and 3 pots, take teleport and use mana abilities sparingly. there is no shame in sitting under the turret farming especially if you have a stun and they try to dive :)
7)you are not wasting time or money, placing wards is one of the best ways to give your team the advantage (especially as support or tank) everyone should ward some. but mainly supports and tanks should handle the most. if ur team isnt doing it, simply ask them to, if they still dont place what you can (without sacraficing your build) and let it go.
8)its never a waste to practice. supports are not the most popular rolls, so chances are if you like them when you get to ranked you will play them. as far as being your level, play what you want that fits team comp, if you have a decent carry a support is rarely wasted.
Hope this helped a little good luck
Play leblanc, she doesn't have an aoe clear so you can't rely on that (you will be forced to use your auto.) She has low AA damage so you will get better at timing, and she has a very fast AA animation.
Champ pool is:
Amunu, Alistar, Tris, Morgana, Veigar, Teemo, Cho, Fiddle, Kayle, Tyrn, Janna, Sivir, Eve, Nasus, Anne, WW, Rammus, Ryze, Zilean, Maphite, Nunu, Yi, Ashe, Mundo, Garen, Jax, Maokai, Poppy, Shen, Soraka, Taric and TF
|All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:11 AM.|
(c) 2008 Riot Games Inc