League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   New Player Forum (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Starting Out: Bots or No Bots (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2914837)

Dallas Apuri 12-17-2012 06:22 PM

Starting Out: Bots or No Bots

I've only played about 10 games so far, and the beginner bots are very difficult for me. I've been in groups where the kill rate was 2 x 30, and lasted 55 minutes.

These bots absolutely brutal to me as I'm trying to learn about builds, items, strategy, roles, and all the different champions.

Should I keep fighting against bots until they become easy or just head into PvP?

Jolty 12-17-2012 06:33 PM

Beginner Bots should be fairly easy to deal with. As a beginner, your games with Bots should mainly be to orient yourself with your abilities, the items, spells, build paths, and getting used to the game in general. Playing against Bots and playing against other players is very different. Bots are more predictable, extra cautious (for Beginner Bots) and not a good experience for what you'll actually face out there. That said, you should feel comfortable with being able to beat Beginner bots at the least. Intermediate is another story, though Beginner should be easy enough.

Dallas Apuri 12-17-2012 06:39 PM

That's what concerns me. Beginner bots are very difficult for my n00b ways. I have no concept of what exactly the different roles and champions are, only a minimal idea of builds, and each new champion I use, I don't know their abilities.

Bots always seem to cause huge amounts of damage to me and I die pretty fast. Even being a fighter, I usually kill 0 to 2 bots per game. Right now, they are the most difficult things I have seen, and will very likely die if I fight one of them one on one.

It's the lack of experience, knowledge, and skill as with starting any sport.

Sereg Anfaug 12-17-2012 07:29 PM

Stay with bots then. I have an RL friend who just started playing, and he's having the same trouble. Somehow he just isn't able to pay attention to everything on the screen, and he has trouble using his abilities. He also seems to react very slowly to everything, can't seem to multitask enough to attack while running away, and has zero knowledge of positioning. So far we've only played Custom games, and all I can do is carry him - he's not learning very quickly, and none of my advice is helping.

If you're in a similar situation, definitely do not play PvP. Bots will teach you some bad habits, but if you can't beat them easily, you have alot to learn about the basics of the game, and bots are the best place to learn those.

Keep at it, and eventually you'll start to understand what you're doing wrong, and you'll learn to exploit the bots' weaknesses. This is where the bad habits come in, because players will not be anywhere near as easy to exploit, but at least you'll have learned how to manage your champion and be able to hold your own in the game.

Once you can do that, then start with PvP, and try to unlearn those bad habits, while continuing to refine your skills.

Oddible 12-17-2012 07:45 PM

Also remember that bots don't play roles particularly well either, it is more like a free-for-all. Bots also don't get Dragon or Baron. So play bots to get a feel for things, but do your best to graduate out of bots asap.

lordtariel 12-17-2012 09:08 PM

Are you doing custom games with all bots or are you playing bots with other people? Full 9 bot games can be terrible. I recommend doing coop vs ai. Also make sure you are playing beginner bots and not intermediate. Play a variety of champions untill you find one that fits you. It could be you just haven't found a champ that clicks yet.

Once you feel comfortable with bots, dont be afraid to give pvp a try. Just remember that a lot of people at low level are just as new as you. That wont be the case if you wait till 30.

BigNoob 12-17-2012 09:11 PM

no bots!

CounterSnipe 12-17-2012 09:57 PM

Just play Pvp. If people yell at you, block them :D + it's way easier to find friends there.

Sarudani 12-17-2012 10:13 PM

PvP gives you better experience with what you are more likely to be playing against later in the game.

If you are new to MOBA's (Multiplayer Online Battle Arenas) and are feeling a little intimidated by everything than doing a custom game with an experienced friend to learn the basics or bot games might be more for you.

Either way just do what you feel is more fun right now and you are likely to have a better experience with the game.

Just beware however that if you play bot games until level 20 you might be matched with people who played nothing but normal games until level 20 and they will have a large advantage against you when in comes to dealing with other players just from practice.

ReMeDyIII 12-18-2012 02:36 AM

If you struggle against beginner bots, then yes, I highly encourage you to keep playing against them. Things will only get harder for you against real opponents -- not to mention the pressure of performing for raging teammates!

When you get to lvl 30, even Intermediate bots should be easy, but of course feel free to graduate to human opponents before then.