League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Dominion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Blind Pick Bans (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2910924)

boomshackalak 12-16-2012 04:31 PM

Blind Pick Bans

Considering how draft mode is pretty much dead, what would you guys think about implementing bans into blind pick?

One of the disadvantages to bans is that they take a while. Then when things are finally set up, someone dodges and you are back in the queue. Considering that dominion games are quite fast, the time it takes to get into a game should be short.

My proposal would be to set up bans in advance of entering the queue. Before you actually get into queue you select 6 (or more) champions you want to see banned (preferably with priorities). When a game is found the champions most people want to see banned get banned. Champion picks function like they currently do in blind pick. This way the banning phase is done as soon as you find a game. The time it takes to get into a game should not be any longer than what it is with blind pick at the moment, atleast if it is possible to save your preferred bans in some way.

In my opinion it is impossible balance all champions for dominion, considering how SR is the main focus. With bans it would at least be possible to keep the least balanced champions away.

Some problems:

- Always having a champion available:
When you have bans, players have to own a certain number of champions to make sure they will always be able to pick something. In order to make sure that noone will be locked out, a maximum of 5 champions from the free week can be banned.

- Implementation:
No other mode has such a system, and I am not sure how hard it would be for Riot to implement it.

- Too many champions are OP:
People who want to play something OP will just play something slightly less OP.

Harvester 12-16-2012 07:22 PM

-How would this factor in bans between the two teams? Which team's ban for a single champion would take priority? Why should team A lose a ban for X champion when both teams have a majority in favor of banning said champ? What if your team auto-votes to ban a champion that you play?
-Would you prefer this as an upgrade to Drafting, and upgrade to ALL solo-queues, or an entirely new selection to go with your game type?
-Would this really contribute to giving players a defense against unbalanced champions or would it simply hurt the champions that are able to truly shine in Dominion? Why would you consider one to be true and not the other?
-What if someone "troll-bans" champions like Karma, Trundle, and Tryndamere?
I strongly disagree with your idea and I instead support Riot giving a stronger incentive to try Draft mode across all maps.

boomshackalak 12-17-2012 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvester (Hozzászólás 32518129)
-How would this factor in bans between the two teams? Which team's ban for a single champion would take priority? Why should team A lose a ban for X champion when both teams have a majority in favor of banning said champ? What if your team auto-votes to ban a champion that you play?

Every player of both teams are taken into account when bans are set. Bans are not really specified for each team, but just what the majority want to see banned. Champion selection is still blind pick, so no team would be at a disadvantage. If a champion you play gets banned you just have to play someone else.

Quote:

-Would you prefer this as an upgrade to Drafting, and upgrade to ALL solo-queues, or an entirely new selection to go with your game type?

I guess it could replace Draft mode, as this mode will never find you a game anyway. Or it could be an addition to regular blind pick, although this migth be risky to do if the majority does not want bans.

Quote:

-Would this really contribute to giving players a defense against unbalanced champions or would it simply hurt the champions that are able to truly shine in Dominion? Why would you consider one to be true and not the other?

What is the difference between unbalanced champions and champions that truly shine? I would say that Kassadin truly shines in dominion, but I also think this makes him unbalanced.

Quote:

I one person "troll-bans" then these votes will most likely not add up to any ban. If many people "troll-bans" Karma might get banned. Would this be a big problem? Would a Karma ban really affect anything?

With such a system the bans between each game would probably be very similar. The champions that are least balanced in any given patch would most likely be banned.

MajorUrsa 12-17-2012 10:12 AM

After the afk check your prompted to "vote" by selecting 3 champions to be banned. The top 2 most popular picks are then banned from the match. Something like this could alleviate blind pick woes while not putting the hurt on the majority of the playerbase. You wouldn't need to have many champions to ban 2, and while it wouldn't stop all the ops from parading around blind pick, it could help remove some of the most aggregious offenders.

boomshackalak 12-17-2012 10:33 AM

Yeah, something like that. My idea would be to do it in advance of the afk check, in order to waste as little time as possible on it. And I don't see why it would have to be limited to just 2. As long as 5 champions from the free rotation is available everyone will always have champions available.

BeefJerkyHunter 12-17-2012 11:24 AM

The suggestion will need some tweaking, but I'm alright with this.

OxBaker 12-17-2012 11:29 AM

I'd love to see something like this.

ShawNuff 12-17-2012 12:14 PM

Forced draft makes it so that new players cannot begin playing the mode until they have a lot of champions.

boomshackalak 12-17-2012 12:44 PM

As I have mentioned, having a maximum of 5 bans from the free rotation would solve this. MajorUrsa suggested using such a method with only 2 bans. While I would like to see more bans, having only a few may be a good way of testing such a solution in order to get more feedback.

naotasan 12-17-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Banning Karma against me is not a troll ban.