League of Legends Community
1234511 ... 12

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Lore Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Suggestion to lore writers: You're doing a TERRIBLE job at the "shades of gray" thing (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2906099)

Tsaalyo 12-15-2012 08:54 AM

Suggestion to lore writers: You're doing a TERRIBLE job at the "shades of gray" thing

There was no nicer way I could phrase that, because it's honestly true. Looking at the lore, I find it hard to believe that there was ever an intention to make all the nations and characters "kinda good and bad, depends on how you look at it, there is no real evil." Of course, maybe I'm mistaken in thinking it was ever your intention to make good and evil cloudy in LoL, but as far as I've been lead to believe, it's what you wanted.

Looking at the Demacia/Noxus thing (in b4 firestorm), I can't imagine how anyone could legitimately call Demacia "just as bad". You guys had Noxus...
  • Demonstrate extreme xenophobia.
  • Send assassins after innocent families in an attempt to "pacify" them.
  • Sanction chemical weapons on civilians.
  • Melt their own armies.
  • Force prisoners to kill each other as a spectacle for the citizens.
  • Attempt to enslave an entire nation because why not.
  • Torture prisoners into complete insanity.

Stop me if I forgot anything, but I think that covers the main points. Meanwhile, what terrible stuff can be said about what Demacia has done during that whole time period?

They didn't help Ionia during the war? They couldn't. Demacia and Noxus were part of the League, Demacia couldn't do a thing.

They didn't provide some barbarians sanctuary during that campaign? Fair point.

The use of child soldiers? That could have been awesome, Lux's lore, but you guys didn't even have the Demacian guards forcibly recruit her. You had them say that it was not necessary, and you had her PARENTS force the issue, instead. So the child soldier argument really holds no water.

The Demacia vs. Noxus issue couldn't be any less of a shades of gray matter. It's cliched and comic booky in the righteousness of one side and the sheer evil of the other. Heck, the entire thing can best be summarized by two quotes:

Garen: Fear not, I'm coming!
Katarina: BLOOD FOR NOXUS.

...yeah. 'Nuff said.

Now, I will commend you for being better at this sort of thing in more recent examples of lore. The Leona vs. Diana thing is a prime example of shades of gray. You can't really call either of them good or bad. Very well done. Elise, Graves, Varus, Syndra, a lot of the newish champions aren't overly good or evil. Good job. But then I look at Piltover vs. Zaun and I see Demacia/Noxus, except even worse. There's literally nothing bad you can say about Piltover, and the only redeeming quality Zaun has is, apparently, their licorice is good.

Come on. =.=

Anyway, that's about it, just wanted this to be said, for any reds who still care about the lore to read and perhaps relay to the one lore writer that may still be employed.

@Riot

DrTemptragon 12-15-2012 09:36 AM

Except Zaun respects the rights of all sentients (Blitzcrank is a citizen there first) while Piltover is incredibly restrictive about technological progress and it's effects on the environment and Demacia is a stratified dictatorship while Noxus allows all citizens to advance.

It's more grey that you're portraying. Plus, you don't judge a nation by it's people's actions; Signed is a monster that commits warcrimes, but Viktor just wants to be left alone and do his research. Darius respects strength of all kinds, but Draven is a showboat.

Xulsigae 12-15-2012 04:14 PM

Noxus allows them to advance with killing and intrigue and strength.
Viktor wants to make everyone a machine, or that's the impression I get.

Xulsigae 12-15-2012 04:25 PM

Some societies are so free they become dictatorships by the strong/heavily armed.

jakeolantern5683 12-15-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xulsigae (Hozzászólás 32478247)
Noxus allows them to advance with killing and intrigue and strength.
Viktor wants to make everyone a machine, or that's the impression I get.

He wants to make everyone a machine for the betterment of society though

Melancholy Exile 12-15-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeolantern5683 (Hozzászólás 32479794)
He wants to make everyone a machine for the betterment of society though

Regardless whether they want him to or not, yes.

HerbaNoctis 12-15-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melancholy Exile (Hozzászólás 32480416)
Regardless whether they want him to or not, yes.

Do most individuals want taxes to be raised? No. Are they necessary for the betterment of society? Most of the time, yes.

Cerubois 12-15-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerbaNoctis (Hozzászólás 32483225)
Do most individuals want taxes to be raised? No. Are they necessary for the betterment of society? Most of the time, yes.

So you're siding with the near-emotionless scientist who wants to forcibly make everyone into androids because it's his vision for 'what's better'?

'Better' is a very vague term, and is prone to bias. Personally, I think being an android would be kinda cool in some circumstances. But if the government decided that everybody was going to be a robot whether they liked it or not, that's kinda evil.
It's a bit of a step-up from raising taxes to forcing bodily modification.

DrTemptragon 12-15-2012 10:11 PM

... Viktor has never once converted people who didn't volunteer. He's got acolytes and converts, not victims and experiments (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...85827#26485827).

There's no evidence he's going to forcibly augment anyone, while there is evidence that he thinks he's doing the right thing.

LastTestament 12-16-2012 02:20 AM

was I the only one expecting this post to be a comment on the incorrect use of Gorean themes in lol fan fiction?