League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Champ/Skin Concepts (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Your Custom Champion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2894676)

GimpLemons 12-12-2012 07:58 AM

Your Custom Champion

I've spent about 10 minutes on this forum and I've already grown very bored of it.
Here is a suggestion for all of you people thinking up champion concepts.
Do not tack on numbers to your character, simply explain how you want them to play, how you want their abilities to function, everything about the champion that doesn't have to do with balancing, because lets face it, a champion that's never going to be created is never going to need to be balanced. Furthermore I doubt any person would choose your champion to implement into the game unless something about them is unique and original, focus on that rather than trying to balance a champion that does not even exist. The formatting is nice, and most of your posts look neat and put together, but look at your post and ask, "what would the people who actually make champions say about this post?"

The5lacker 12-12-2012 08:30 AM

Your suggestion is bad and you should feel bad. The entire purpose of this forum is to see if we can replicate the process that Riot goes through and make our own champions. Just because they'll never be made doesn't mean they don't have to have THOUGHT put into them.

Thought exercises obviously aren't for you. Why don't you just go play in your corner with your little toys and go "I go pew pew pew with my laser rockets!" while the rest of us focus on actually coming up with something worthwhile.

Katsuni 12-12-2012 08:34 AM

Unfortunately, this is in large part due to a lack of passion for such upon yeur part.

The real question people should be asking themselves, is "can I do better than this?". So long as the answer to that question is "yes", it's not done.

It's true that the purpose behind an ability is important, and that numbers are only there to represent concepts, but a number is a far more fine sand for balancing the scales with. "High damage" is nice to say and all, but how high is high?

Does "high damage" mean high DPS output? Does it mean high burst but low DPS? Does it mean high in relation to other champions, or high in relation to the designer's own personal views on whot high and low are? Is 300 damage high, or is 350 high?

To put it bluntly, the difference of as little as a 0.1 AP scaling coefficient can make a big difference, and "high damage" doesn't really clarify that point very well.

Regardless, the fact of the matter is that, if yeu're going to half-ass it, why even bother in the first place? If yeu want to make something, make it as perfect as possible.

If yeu want the truth, what people who actually design games professionally are going to think, is that there might be one or two slight hints of a vaguely neat idea, but overall, they're unimpressed by someone who doesn't show any real passion in their work.

QUICK, NEW CHAMPION! BOB THE NECROMANCER!

Passive: Collects bones as minions die around him.
Q: Fires a spear of bone fragments in a straight line.
W: Summons a melee skeleton from bones to fight for a short time.
E: Detonates a skeleton to deal AoE damage.
R: Summons a powerful golem to fight for you.

And done!

Oh... yeah, I kind of just described the Diablo 2 necromancer. Right. It's also remarkably undetailed, and without knowing the source material, it doesn't tell the reader much of anything. Does the bone spear stop when it hits a minion or champion? Does it consume bone fragments? Since summoned units are very powerful due to their "throw away" nature, how powerful is that supposedly powerful golem, anyway?

More information only shows yeu've thought about it more and have put more effort into it. Yeu may make mistakes, and they may be big ones, but at least yeu're trying.

Personally, I'd rather see someone show they have the drive to at least try to balance their champion. They don't necessarily have to succeed, so much as show they know roughly where they want the various stats and abilities to be.

Or yeu could just get bored and give up in 10 minutes and suck, then request everyone else do the same so that yeu don't look as bad.

People don't post here because they want to spam out an idea in 10 minutes and leave it that way; they do so for a variety of reasons. Some of these relate to being used in the game, others just enjoy making them. Regardless of the reasoning, however, more information and passion in yeur design is virtually always preferable to less.

GimpLemons 12-12-2012 09:21 AM

Let me start off by saying my intention was not to offend, but obviously some people are not very thick skinned and cannot handle criticism.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The5lacker (Hozzászólás 32354861)
Your suggestion is bad and you should feel bad. The entire purpose of this forum is to see if we can replicate the process that Riot goes through and make our own champions. Just because they'll never be made doesn't mean they don't have to have THOUGHT put into them.

Thought exercises obviously aren't for you. Why don't you just go play in your corner with your little toys and go "I go pew pew pew with my laser rockets!" while the rest of us focus on actually coming up with something worthwhile.

Obviously reading exercises aren't for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotAmes (Hozzászólás 27769973)
The goal is to grow your own ability to design within the creative space that is the League of Legends.

Nowhere does it say to replicate Riot's process, furthermore, do you even know what Riot's process is? Make your OWN process with your OWN creativity.

Considering that you cannot test or implement the numbers you have assigned to your abilities, why put them there, why not replace them with an explanation of how powerful an ability should be, how it scales with leveling, what it's purpose is, how it synchronizes with other abilities, etc. The power of an ability is best explained by it's utility, and its strength relative to other abilities.

What I notice is that I see a lot of numbers but not a lot of creativity. Putting numbers next to your abilities doesn't make your idea better than another persons, focusing on giving the abilities reason and purpose does.

@Katsuni

What I'm suggesting is people to put more than 10 minutes into the creativity and originality of a character. I'm seeing a lot of numbers but not a lot of truly interesting champions. It would be cool that they balanced their champions, if they weren't cookie cutter assassin champions in 80% of the posts.

blackkat101 12-12-2012 11:04 AM

Only 10 min on the forum as a whole? That's a pretty quick judge. Yes some champions have more effort put into them than need be. Take my Shia for example. I've spent over 40 hours now working on her. Adding in not only balancing with numbers, but explaining every little detail on how the abilities interact with each other and with items. I'm also on my 3rd version of my lore posted, with a 4th revision being worked on in the process. All in all, if you put all my work on paper, it's about 14-15 pages of work.

I highly doubt Riot would even take the time to glance at my champion, but I put the effort in anyway. It's fun and I like discussing her with other people on the forum for their opinions and input as well. That isn't to say I wouldn't love it if Riot were to place Shia in LoL, but I feel like I'd have a better chance winning the lottery. Most I can hope for is that someone from Riot (like the parrot, IronStylus) to pop on and give me their opinion.... ah, now my pessimism kicked in..... need to find a cookie to cheer myself up.

Sorry, got a little sidetracked there. All in all, this section of the forum to me seems like a place for ideas to be shared. No matter how detailed. Numbers are a way of showing how an ability would work. Is it over or under powered? It allows people to discuss such things. I don't really believe there is a set standard layout to how Riot would like us to post our champions, so many (like myself) create their own format, or copy the format that they see others using.

As far as how much time people put into their champions, I don't expect many to do what I'm doing, but I'm sure most are spending more than 10 min on their ideas. They just might not be going into as much detail when they write it down and then it is for people like you to ask them what they mean. If no one points out their mistakes, they may never notice it on their own (I know I don't notice mine and welcome the help).

Now I'm rambling, so I'll leave it at that,
- Kat

SephirothWontDie 12-12-2012 11:07 AM

i get what your saying, but instead of saying not to add numbers(cuz numbers are quite important to the champ), just say to create a champ thet you feel strongly about. example: if someone says an ability "deals 50/55/60/65/70(.6 AD) damage", thats not quite a strong feeling your getting. i would say something like X(in place of a name) throws a massive boulder at the target enemy, dealing 50/55/60/65/70(.6 AD) physical damage to the target. that description has more feeling doesnt it? i described first as if it were in real life, then in LoL terms, by adding numbers and scaling. the most important thing is to make your champ with a strong feeling, a sense of a bit of real life mixed with LoL.

btw, from what i hear, Volibear was based on a concept they found here, and while it may not be the same thing as creating, it still shows that riot looks here for ideas and/or inspirations.