League of Legends Community
123

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   In-Game HUD Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Update Team Sidebar? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2888777)

Thanatos Noa 12-10-2012 03:07 PM

Update Team Sidebar?
 
So I've got a question for the dev's working on the in-game UI sidebar. We currently have a very bland (no offense to the artists) UI that shows the champion portrait, health + resource, and the ominous green ult orb.

Is there any specific reason why we can't have the UI used in spectator mode (perhaps without the player's names?). Displaying friendly summoner's and ults greatly helps communicate alot of information that would help sync up ganks/team fights without having to take time out of player's hands to write.

Also, is it possible we can get small HUD indicators that show who owns red/blue buff?

boourns 12-11-2012 01:33 PM

Yes there is a good reason. They are implemented completely differently! Spectator is structured differently than the in-game HUD because it doesn't have to be as high performance. Also the way the data is sent in is different (spectator has full information, players only see their side).

It's also unclear to the game designers if in the context of a team fight or just playing the game having this information is that important for decision making. So given the effort necessary and the uncertain benefit, this has not been worked on yet. We are definitely thinking about it though.

ShadyElf 12-11-2012 01:57 PM

That would be really awesome. Would be nice to know what summoner spells are available. And this might be far too complex but it would be nice if we could customize what ability the side bar shows as active (for each champ). For example I really don't care if Blitz's ult is off/on CD, but I do care about his grab. Elise is another example since her E being on or off CD is more useful info to me than whether her ult is (when gauging how ready she is for a gank for example). Not sure how one would go about changing something like that for every single champ.

RyuuMasken 12-11-2012 02:03 PM

It'd be really nice to see that stuff for organizing ganking and such.

Thinking about jungling, I'd really like to be able to see if my teammate's flashes are up, so I know what lanes need more help and when.

Thanatos Noa 12-11-2012 02:05 PM

Hey boourns! Thanks for replying.

I guess I should clear up my message a bit. I wasn't suggesting that we have access to -everyone's- information like spectator mode, but definitely have a more clear UI for our respective team.

This may not be prevalent to everyone, but as a jungler I know that communicating ult-timings can be crucial to landing successful ganks (especially if your laner has a CC ult). The green dot currently does the function in its lowest form. It's a binary display of information (lit = yes, unlit = no). If we had their ult icon with the cooldown cycle on it, I think I'd help immensely.

How? First off veteran players can sync up their attacks at a glance (no more waiting on a green dot to turn on, or asking a teamate for the cool down). Secondly, it reliefs the burden of knowledge on new players. I can't tell you how many friend I've talked with that didn't even -notice- the green dot, much less know what it meant.

With that in mind, knowing friendly summoners would be equally helpful. (Ex: waiting on your support bot lane's exhaust to come up).

I understand that UI architecture has been written up differently, but it seems it would be extremely beneficial to import over the tech.

Thornmaelstrom 12-11-2012 02:14 PM

To be fair, the current setup is extremely easy to read and digest at a glance, and while the spectator UI is much more informative, it has alot more visual noise and less distinctive elements (all lined up in a row with thin borders) that make it harder to read in just a glance.
If they did implement showing your allies summoners, they'd have to make it as readable as the big green orb; maybe even only putting that information in the Scoreboard over your teams summoners.

TheHat27 12-11-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boourns (Hozzászólás 32328822)
Yes there is a good reason. They are implemented completely differently! Spectator is structured differently than the in-game HUD because it doesn't have to be as high performance. Also the way the data is sent in is different (spectator has full information, players only see their side).

It's also unclear to the game designers if in the context of a team fight or just playing the game having this information is that important for decision making. So given the effort necessary and the uncertain benefit, this has not been worked on yet. We are definitely thinking about it though.

Well, there is one LARGE benefit I see all the time.

AP/AD carry are chasing enemy with their Jungler

AP/AD carry uses ignight

Jungler kills the person they where chasing

Then the AP/AD carry gets mad and the jungler can only say "sorry, I didn't know"

By simply being able to see that ignight just went on cooldown,they will know to let the carry get the kill.

boourns 12-12-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHat27 (Hozzászólás 32341757)
Well, there is one LARGE benefit I see all the time.

AP/AD carry are chasing enemy with their Jungler

AP/AD carry uses ignight

Jungler kills the person they where chasing

Then the AP/AD carry gets mad and the jungler can only say "sorry, I didn't know"

By simply being able to see that ignight just went on cooldown,they will know to let the carry get the kill.

The key point of debate in that situation is whether you want to look away from the fight for that information. This totally makes sense if you're in vent or skype and your AD is telling you to let them get the kill because they have ignite, etc. However if you're in the middle of a fight, are you actually going to want to look away from the action to see if one person's summoner spell is up? We currently think it would be very challenging to present this information in a way that is useful to players in a stressful gameplay situation. So more investigation of creative solutions is necessary!

tldr: Knowing this information is clearly positive for gameplay, it's unclear whether the sidebar can convey it well in team fights.

boourns 12-12-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thanatos Noa (Hozzászólás 32329904)
Hey boourns! Thanks for replying.

I guess I should clear up my message a bit. I wasn't suggesting that we have access to -everyone's- information like spectator mode, but definitely have a more clear UI for our respective team.

This may not be prevalent to everyone, but as a jungler I know that communicating ult-timings can be crucial to landing successful ganks (especially if your laner has a CC ult). The green dot currently does the function in its lowest form. It's a binary display of information (lit = yes, unlit = no). If we had their ult icon with the cooldown cycle on it, I think I'd help immensely.

How? First off veteran players can sync up their attacks at a glance (no more waiting on a green dot to turn on, or asking a teamate for the cool down). Secondly, it reliefs the burden of knowledge on new players. I can't tell you how many friend I've talked with that didn't even -notice- the green dot, much less know what it meant.

With that in mind, knowing friendly summoners would be equally helpful. (Ex: waiting on your support bot lane's exhaust to come up).

I understand that UI architecture has been written up differently, but it seems it would be extremely beneficial to import over the tech.

Nope, I got what you were saying, don't worry!

Unfortunately it would be almost a complete re-implementation, so the cost is somewhat higher which makes us more hesitant to do it. My thoughts on the problems with showing the information you ask for are outlined in my post above. I would love for players to be able to see and *understand* or use this information. The last two points are the hardest problem to solve, IMHO.

TheHat27 12-12-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boourns (Hozzászólás 32366192)
The key point of debate in that situation is whether you want to look away from the fight for that information. This totally makes sense if you're in vent or skype and your AD is telling you to let them get the kill because they have ignite, etc. However if you're in the middle of a fight, are you actually going to want to look away from the action to see if one person's summoner spell is up? We currently think it would be very challenging to present this information in a way that is useful to players in a stressful gameplay situation. So more investigation of creative solutions is necessary!

tldr: Knowing this information is clearly positive for gameplay, it's unclear whether the sidebar can convey it well in team fights.

No offense, but that argument is kinda silly to me for one simple reason:

High ranked players already do look over to see what team mates have their ults up. With this we can tell if our support has their heal, if our carries has their ignites, and if anyone can clarity in case the fight takes a while. While newer players may not find all this information as useful, I'm sure lots of people in solo ranked queue would love to know if they should try to wait that extra 7 seconds for that last person's ignite to be up.

Edit: In fact, people also look over there all the time to see how low their team mates are on health and mana. Playing as Shen top he could possibly save his ult knowing that an ally has his flash up, or save one ally who doesn't have flash up and leave the one that does have it alone.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:11 PM.
123


(c) 2008 Riot Games Inc