League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Lore Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Implementing lore through game play - Be allied to a specific city-state (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2888394)

Mr Ratz 12-10-2012 02:26 PM

Implementing lore through game play - Be allied to a specific city-state

Hello there Lore folks,

This is my first post in this forum, but I felt it is appropriate posting this here as well as it's lore related. Below you will find my idea on how to integrate more lore in our game through game play. Please let me know what you guys think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Ratz (Hozzászólás 32289444)
Dear Community,

I have been mulling over this idea for a while and I would like to share it with you and hear your feedback. I really appreciate you guys reading this, I know it is long. It is this long because I want to make sure I fully express my idea (If its length will stop you from reading, there is a TL;DR in the end, just scroll down). I know there are many players that don't care much about lore, but there are a great number that do. From what I have seen, requests for more/new lore is nothing new, and I do not intend to continue this post as another repetitive request. Many of these requests for that are for thematic matches like the Ionia vs. Noxus Grudge Match. That event was really awesome, especially because it actively changed Runeterra’s world. But honestly, how often can that happen before the lore becomes meaningless since its changing all the time? I don't think very often.

Riot has taken notice of the desire for more lore, and they have added a lot of it with the Shadow Islands update and the new TT. Also, new champions add a lot to the lore of old champions (ex: Zed), and that has received mixed reviews. However, I feel that not enough about the "core" lore of Runeterra has been added. What I mean by core lore is the Demacia vs. Noxus conflicts and political struggles within the major city-states. The Journal of Justice ended just as huge changes happened (ex: Swain became Grand General of Noxus) and it left many questions unanswered (ex: Du Conteau). Since they seem to want to improve on the lore, I hope this will catch their attention.

Kitae has said on the forums they are looking for ways to implement lore through game-play, which is really hard for MOBAs. Riot has been trying to do that (Ex: Altar quotes in TT). Well, I think this was a good initiative, but I feel that quotes for different champions do not involve the player in the lore. A player in the league of legends is a summoner!! I know this is such an obvious statement as we are always greeted as such by riot, but I feel that the gameplay doesn’t fully reflect the actions of a summoner within the league. It does, as we control the champions during the match. However, the League was created to settle conflicts between city-states, thus it houses (mostly) summoners of every city-states looking to contribute/fight for their home. Well, since we are these summoners I believe we should be able to choose and represent our “home”. Why not implement a system where you can choose what faction you are affiliated to? Become a Noxian or a Demacian Summoner... Give us something to fight for.

As I see it, there are two options. A player/summoner chooses his faction in the beginning (when choosing summoner name) or maybe after reaching a certain milestone (Level 30?). Existing players would be able to choose their factions on their first log in after the update. This would get all the new and existing players a little more involved and hopefully more interested in the wonderful lore that has been created for this game.

As a Player who likes lore interactions, there is nothing more satisfying then winning a match when there is a rivalry involved. Stopping a Dianna from jumping your carry with a nice Leona stun is one of my favourite league moments. I believe that this would just enhance such experiences. And I believe this can even be taken further with events/ladders determined by the summoner’s affiliation. Am I the only one who would feel that the game is more intense fighting for Ionia against a Noxian team? Defeating Piltover with Zaun, proving technological supremacy? I think not. I don’t intend this to affect normal and especially not ranked ladders. Riot has worked hard on matchmaking and everything else to do with them, they are already good. But maybe a separate ladder for factions? Maybe this would only count during certain events? It would be up for riot to decide, as they know their job better than I do. For these thematic matches, I envisioned something like champion restrictions (Ex: a Noxian summoner could not summon Garen), allowing them to only pick allied/neutral champions. I understand this might make things umbalanced, hence why this wouldn’t affect the regular ladders. I also think it might be really fun and new strategies could be developed.

We, summoners, could show our affiliation to our city-state in the normal ladders, through summoner Icons, Profile/Loading screen banners and maybe ward/champion skins. There features have been successfully implemented through S2 championship / rewards and Harrowing 2012, so I don’t think it would be too difficult to implement. I wish I had the artistic skills to create an example of what some of these boarders could look like, but I fail at arts. If anyone wants to give it a try, please be my guest. . (Ex: Demacian boarders would be white and gold, with noble and rich look)

Non-holiday based events could be created from this, like tournaments between factions. The Noxus vs. Ionia match come to mind, but this time more than just 10 players could be actively involved in the outcome. This brings the possibility of rewards for the players of the winning faction. I know I would be happy with bragging rights, which would be more evident with a server leaderboard. But there are those greedy players out there.

Now, this sounds like a lot of work, developing the artwork, coding it all and maybe creating a whole new matchmaking system. Riot’s interest is to make this a better game experience (which I believe this would do) but they are also a business. How could they do this without breaking the bank? They could charge for the features mentioned above. I know I would not mind paying for a customized banner or ward skins. They could also charge a fee if a summoner wishes to change factions (similar to name change/server transfer). [Hippalus seems to be taking a very active approach on renewing Riot’s ecommerce transactions. I hope he takes a look at this]

With such a rich lore, there are quite a bit of factions that come to mind:
-Noxus
-Demacia
-Piltover
-Zaun
-Bandle City
-Freljord
-Ionia
-Void(?)

And there is always the possibility to explore alliances between each faction (Ex: Noxus and Zaun).

Well, this is my idea. It’s something I have daydreamed about for a while. I believe it would enhance the current in game experience and maybe attract new players. I would really appreciate to hear community and Riot’s opinion on this matter.

Sincerely,

Mr. Ratz

For all of those who don't like the wall of text above (TL;DR):

What: I would love to see riot implement a feature where you can choose to which faction (ex: Noxus, Demacia) you as a summoner are allied to.
How: Possibly a new queue for thematic matches with champion selection restrictions, implementation of thematic boarders, summoner Icons, Ward/champion skins
Why: To integrate more lore through gameplay.
Profit for Riot: Improving player experience and charging for faction changes (like name changes) and Visual changes (skins/boarders)
Other features: Server Scoreboard, monthly tournaments, small rewards

Tell me what you think!

Here is the link for the Thread in the General Discussion Forum (A more appropriate place for it, I agree): http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2888325
Please bump it up there if you like this idea, since GE has so much more traffic. I would hate to see this get completely buried.

Tehpersuns 12-10-2012 02:47 PM

This sounds awesome. The lore matches should be seperated from regural ones, though. I still want this, just so I can spam /allchat with 'DEMACIIIIAAAA' along with garen and lux

Mr Ratz 12-10-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tehpersuns (Hozzászólás 32291180)
This sounds awesome. The lore matches should be seperated from regural ones, though. I still want this, just so I can spam /allchat with 'DEMACIIIIAAAA' along with garen and lux

I agree they have to be separate. Hence -> "Riot has worked hard on matchmaking and everything else to do with them, they are already good. But maybe a separate ladder for factions? Maybe this would only count during certain events? It would be up for riot to decide, as they know their job better than I do." (above).

I would love to win matched "For Noxus" all day.

Intellectional 12-12-2012 05:02 PM

Intriguing. I'll go show my support. Zaunites go where they please.

hawkeye2188 12-13-2012 08:17 AM

I like this idea.

1Eredale 12-13-2012 11:00 AM

I bumped/upvoted that thread before :3

Lait1 12-13-2012 07:47 PM

Yay RP servers!!!!!

Nekron9 12-14-2012 04:38 PM

Riot, make it happen !

Helmight 12-16-2012 03:14 PM

Very interesting idea here, I have to say. Like most people have mentioned, you'd need to separate faction-based games from regular matchmaking, but I do feel that it could be an excellent way to provide a little more lore through gameplay.

Vale Kirway 05-13-2013 12:56 AM

Touching up on what you said Helmight

Since I was INFORMED BY ANOTHER that some of the lore has been based off of real matches, Ionia vs Noxus, and Udyr raped for Ionia. I've been following this thought myself. I myself am Ionian as I stick with Ahri and Syndra usually, Irelia is my go to top.

I definitely would like to see the option in PvP and can see it now, I click that big red "PLAY" button, then it brings me to game options, automatically places me on PvP, then I see the four options, Classic, Dominion, ARAM and Faction. I feel like a faction match, then it gives me the option of which map, good ol' Summoner's Rift, this is where it changes, instead of Normal Blind Pick, Draft, etc., this is where it gives you the most current events as the top option with the other factions following in alphabetical order, Freljord/Freljord War would obviously be at the top and now the tricky part would be when to decide which Tribe you represent or not necessarily, it could pick up on who is using which Icon and place you in that faction and well if you chose Frostguard, why would you want to play as Ashe anyway right? or if you were Avarosan, why would you not be playing Ashe or Anivia?

As for the other options for Faction matches, it gives you each faction to choose from, not really as a Draft Pick, as the only champs that would be available to you would be those that represent their specific region, but you could still see who they are picking and still go in the pick order as Draft does. So yes if you chose to play in a Noxian match, Annie is automatically not a choice as she is Independent. For how you get matched up, well it shouldn't allow Ionia vs Ionia, and if you chose standard Freljord over Freljord War, then the champion pool would be much larger and Freljord could not face other Freljord or the standard Freljord would be disabled until the war is over.

I could try and elaborate more but I feel the more I go on, the more confusing this will sound. I just want to throw one last idea into this faction option. Unfortunately, I don't think you should throw the Independent champions in there because they aren't serving a purpose to any great entity. A summoner is choosing the faction because they want to represent!