League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Tribunal Ban Inquiries (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Major moral hypocrisy issue in LoL (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2887789)

HeadmasterNasus 12-10-2012 10:24 AM

Major moral hypocrisy issue in LoL

Greetings summoners,

Just wanted a quick minute to discuss something that has been bothering me lately. As you see by the title of the thread, I am referring to the moral hypocrisy that league presents us on a daily basis. Let me start with this opening statement: Why would they have us follow a Moral code (The summoners Code) when they provide in game mechanics that directly violate their own code, the same code that they wish for you to obey.

Here are some examples of taunts that support my thesis that would be a violation of the summoners code.

"Next time, try to leave a dent." - Leona
"Know, that if the tables were turned, I would show you no mercy!" - Veigar
"You can't contain ME, summoner!" - Brand
"It would take only a SPARK of my magic to end you."-Xerath
"My opponents need to be upgraded." Viktor.

"If you share our vision of a game where players exercise good sportsmanship"

" This doesn’t mean that we’re okay with you ruining anybody else’s day.

Remember, taking a jab at your friend in the middle of the game is a lot different than making a glib remark at a complete stranger"

Also, don't forget all the laughing and taunting that other champions have the ability to do, this is just a small excerpt from a few champions.

I am sure you would be reported by typing LOL, HAHAHA, or any of the champions saying into chat and this is where the hypocrisy exists in the game we play.

Just to clarify, I have no problem when people call names or make fun of other players, I am guilty of that myself. I just think that it is a bit wrong for them to expect us to follow their code when in retrospect, they don't even follow it themselves. If they want people to take them seriously, they should not have those in the game, or give more of an incentive for people to not talk trash. Silly little badges from the honor system haven't done much and I haven't gotten any from any of the games I have played in the last week or so.

Taunting in chat is a viable tactic for tanks/supports so that people get upset and focus you, instead of an ADC. I think this should still be allowed and if people don't want to listen than they should use the mute/ignore function.

How is it okay for a champion to express these taunts that makes it okay, and not be able to say the same things in chat? Any feedback on how this is not a direct contradiction would be helpful.

SchierkeWiking 12-10-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadmasterNasus (Hozzászólás 32284047)

These are generic taunts reflecting the personality of each champion. They are in no way directed towards any particular player and therefore are not offensive.

Quote:

I am sure you would be reported by typing LOL, HAHAHA, or any of the champions saying into chat and this is where the hypocrisy exists in the game we play.

Reported?, maybe, but it would be very hard to be reported enough just for laughing to get into the Tribunal and even more to actually get punished.

Quote:

Just to clarify, I have no problem when people call names or make fun of other players, I am guilty of that myself.

Then Riot may not be the right company for you and LoL may not be the right game for you.

Quote:

Taunting in chat is a viable tactic for tanks/supports so that people get upset and focus you, instead of an ADC. I think this should still be allowed and if people don't want to listen than they should use the mute/ignore function.

If they're mentally challenged, may be. But even if it actually works, it still would be wrong because you're hurting someone else's game experience. Riot is a company and it lives off it's product, LoL is it's product and therefore they want to make as good as possible for the costumers.

Quote:

How is it okay for a champion to express these taunts that makes it okay, and not be able to say the same things in chat? Any feedback on how this is not a direct contradiction would be helpful.

Once again, what half reasonable person would be offended by some generic non insulting taunt?

It's also possible for a player to taunt in a non offensive way, but this is not what people do. They don't say something clever or amusing they just say "hahaha noob... you suck, uninstall."

HeadmasterNasus 12-10-2012 10:46 AM

These are generic taunts reflecting the personality of each champion. They are in no way directed towards any particular player and therefore are not offensive.

How is that considered generic, please elaborate? If I use the taunt next to someone it is obviously directed at them, or their team. So with that logic, saying "You are bad" into the chat is okay because it is generic and not directed to one player at all.

Captain Bag 12-10-2012 11:10 AM

Huge difference between saying

"Noob, l2p, uninstall" and "Next time, Try to leave a dent"

BillyTheAttorney 12-10-2012 11:20 AM

Headmaster Nasus.

You belong in a museum.

HeadmasterNasus 12-10-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bag (Hozzászólás 32285430)

I don't see how they are both okay, they are both negative and can be taken badly. Its about principle, and in principle they are both wrong. You are missing the whole point. Its not about what one is less mean, they are both mean.

Its like punching someone in the face vs slapping them, they are both violence no matter what way you look at it. Just because one is less forceful than the other, doesn't make it okay.

murphyj 12-10-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

How? The two statements are both playful ribbing. They both invoke the same emotional response: Butthurt.

It's as bad as people using other words in place of cuss words. It's pathetic.

Razardica 12-10-2012 11:28 AM

I agree. The laugh is especially disruptive - when I make a bad play and a Veigar constantly laughs at me, it's no different than if he were to type 'LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL' in the chat.

It's just very crass.

KiII Yourself 12-10-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Not really. Both are non-constructive jabs meant to mock an opposing player.

Jesustim 12-10-2012 11:59 AM

Can't tell if troll or just way too serious.