League of Legends Community
12345 ... 6

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   New Player Forum (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Let me teach you to support (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2887594)

Scarlet Ambition 12-10-2012 08:57 AM

Let me teach you to support
 
Heya bluescarla here.
And I am here to give you a small guide of how to support for noobs so please players who are more experience than me, If I say anything wrong correct me.

The briefing

Well First off support is underrated a lot in games but like all other roles to me it is equally matched as jungler, adc, top, or mid as for every single role takes their part in achieving victory. The point of the role is protecting your teammates from any future or present danger esspically your ADC.

Why the ADC ( Attack damage carry ) you ask?
Well the ADCs are the ones who mostly carry and deal the most damage for the whole team but in exchange for massive damage they are very squishie. Therefore they must rely on the support to protect them. In the end even if your ADC shows off and says he is the best carry in the game remember it is all because of you protected them.

Warding

Warding is one of the Supports main jobs in the game as it provides vision of dark areas and prevents future ganks [ If you have map awarness, I'll explain later ] It is important to have wards in areas where they are critical like dragon, baron, Tri-bushes, buffs, and crossing points. If you ward these areas correctly you can almost have vision of the whole map.

Map Awareness

Now map awareness is skill you must learn yourself but when mastered you pretty much can control the out come of your enemy movements. I say this because If you have map awareness you can know where the enemy jungler is heading and if another lane is roaming around. Warding helps with your map awareness skills. Also be sure to help knockout the enemy's support wards. This helps you give more control of the map as it decreases the vision of the enemy team so buying vision wards or pink exlier helps.

MIA's

Be aware that if your enemy is not in their lane call out MIA ( missing in action ) this will alert the other lanes to becarefull for ganks. Also most of the time there are some idiot lanes the sometimes forget to call out MIAs be sure to give them **** about it but for now be a pal and call MIA for them

Know your enemy

What I love about being a support is knowing your enemy and learn what they can do. Thats why I encourage new players to learn support because your always watching out for danger and when it happened you know how to react quickly.

Spend your money wisely

Now this is a very difficult thing to do. support players are only limited to a certain amount of cash as they don't get cs or ks to earn gold so you must know what items to buy. You must also learn what is the enemy's build and how to counter them. Usually just get your philo-stone first then depending on your sistuation but at most times your get aegis most of your money still goes to wards so be sure to keep getting them.

The TeamFights

You want to save your disables on the most dangerous foes. Example: A katrinia comes in and start to launch her ult as you are using sona you should jump right in and Ult back stunning katrina and everybody else caught in it. Don't also forget to buff allys and debuff enemys at the same time also besure to remember to use your active items. Some folks tend to forget that.

Depending on who your using support you either want to stay back behide the tanks with the ADC should be at or be the one leading the charge.

Good examples of support champs leading the charge;
Leona, Alistar, galio, or sometimes Taric

Good Examples of support champs staying behide the tanks
Sona, Soraka, Nami, and lulu

The End Credits

Well then summoners, that is all I have to give you in such limited time I have left. I hope my small guide helps you in future matches and if it works please share my information to other summoners.

Good Luck to you all.

Fs Son0fSilas 12-10-2012 09:21 AM

At least if you are going to downvote give a reason...

FearOfTheFlesh 12-10-2012 10:29 AM

TY for the guide, and taking the time to write it.

Even though I am level 30 I only played 18 (9-9) pvp matches and looking for guides on the best way to start as a result when your opponents are so ahead. I think there is an advantage and a disadvantage here. The disadvantage is I end up being the worst player and get some rage but the advantage is I get to learn things quicker and see better play quality early. This is like putting a lower elo player among higher ones they benefit faster I think and pick up habits that benefit them more instead of wrong ones.

Reading your guide I think what you say is true, and think I will start by playing support till I feel a bit more confident to play the other positions.

Scarlet Ambition 12-12-2012 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingSilas (Hozzászólás 32282522)
At least if you are going to downvote give a reason...

sorry I dont know what your trying to say

Scarlet Ambition 12-12-2012 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FearOfTheFlesh (Hozzászólás 32284195)
TY for the guide, and taking the time to write it.

Even though I am level 30 I only played 18 (9-9) pvp matches and looking for guides on the best way to start as a result when your opponents are so ahead. I think there is an advantage and a disadvantage here. The disadvantage is I end up being the worst player and get some rage but the advantage is I get to learn things quicker and see better play quality early. This is like putting a lower elo player among higher ones they benefit faster I think and pick up habits that benefit them more instead of wrong ones.

Reading your guide I think what you say is true, and think I will start by playing support till I feel a bit more confident to play the other positions.

Your welcome, if you wish you may add me in the game and can show you how I support. Because to me I personally believe to truly learn a role you need to see for it yourself and try it out by experience, Not by reading forums. Forums are just little hints, pointers, and basic guidelines to adapt a basic situation but in the real world there many events you may encounter.
So add me and tell me that your from the forums so I won't get confused and say, "Who the **** are you?!" because I tend to forget and say that alot

IliyaMoroumetz 12-12-2012 08:42 AM

Mind if I give a counterpoint? Bear in mind, I'm a new player, started a few weeks ago, (Currently, Level 11) So, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong for having an incorrect mindset.

So, I feel helpless. Leona, whom I play primarily, does not, in any way, bring to mind the term 'tank', when I'm the one that usually dies first, because I have no gear that helps me soak up the damage since my ADCs are the ones getting the cash in the first place.

Sure, my stuns are nice and all, but they mean jacksquat when the enemy team goes for me first during a scuffle between the teams. After all, the ADCs have all the gear while I got diddly squat. Sure, I can get the Philosopher's Stone, but that's such a hefty investment early game that by the time I finally start getting gear, everyone else is already geared up the whazoo.

What? Am I just supposed to get wards and call out mia? I can do that as Sona, for crying out loud.

Help me out, here.

Sereg Anfaug 12-12-2012 08:55 AM

Leona is naturally tanky. This increases further with her core items, moreso then on squishier supports like Sona or Soraka.

Your philo stone-> Shurelya's grants health regeneration, and later health. Your ruby sightstone gives health. Your Aegis/Runic Bulwark gives health regen, armor, and MR. Your boots will give either armor or MR, as well as an additional bonus damage reduction or CC reduction, since you should be picking Tabi or Treads. Personally, I tend to favor treads. If you need more MR(Bulwark gives *alot*), upgrade your Kage to Twin Shadows instead of True Ice. You can also opt for a Zeke's to grant more health and increase the power of your AD carry, or even a more tankier item like a Randuin's or Frozen Heart if you need it.

Supports get alot more built now in season 3 then they ever did in season 2, and even in season 2 they could be pretty tanky.

Fs Son0fSilas 12-12-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluescarla (Hozzászólás 32348888)
sorry I dont know what your trying to say

3 people had downnvoted you for no reason. Or at least hadn't given their reason for downvoting. Some of us were kind enough to give upvotes though, because it's helpful info.

IliyaMoroumetz 12-12-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereg Anfaug (Hozzászólás 32355487)
Leona is naturally tanky. This increases further with her core items, moreso then on squishier supports like Sona or Soraka.

Your philo stone-> Shurelya's grants health regeneration, and later health. Your ruby sightstone gives health. Your Aegis/Runic Bulwark gives health regen, armor, and MR. Your boots will give either armor or MR, as well as an additional bonus damage reduction or CC reduction, since you should be picking Tabi or Treads. Personally, I tend to favor treads. If you need more MR(Bulwark gives *alot*), upgrade your Kage to Twin Shadows instead of True Ice. You can also opt for a Zeke's to grant more health and increase the power of your AD carry, or even a more tankier item like a Randuin's or Frozen Heart if you need it.

Supports get alot more built now in season 3 then they ever did in season 2, and even in season 2 they could be pretty tanky.

This... as potentially helpful as it can be... doesn't really answer my problems.

CounterSnipe 12-12-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IliyaMoroumetz (Hozzászólás 32355174)
Mind if I give a counterpoint? Bear in mind, I'm a new player, started a few weeks ago, (Currently, Level 11) So, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong for having an incorrect mindset.

So, I feel helpless. Leona, whom I play primarily, does not, in any way, bring to mind the term 'tank', when I'm the one that usually dies first, because I have no gear that helps me soak up the damage since my ADCs are the ones getting the cash in the first place.

Sure, my stuns are nice and all, but they mean jacksquat when the enemy team goes for me first during a scuffle between the teams. After all, the ADCs have all the gear while I got diddly squat. Sure, I can get the Philosopher's Stone, but that's such a hefty investment early game that by the time I finally start getting gear, everyone else is already geared up the whazoo.

What? Am I just supposed to get wards and call out mia? I can do that as Sona, for crying out loud.

Help me out, here.

Everyone should have the same runes and masteries as you do. If you're having trouble in fights then you're probably not buying correctly. When I play Leona I start with wards and the 2 pre-requisite items, then build philo on my first back. Then I usually start to build into aegis of the legion. And then more HP, then resistances, then more HP. Etc. Of course your builds will be different for each game.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:21 AM.
12345 ... 6


(c) 2008 Riot Games Inc