League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Lore Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Let's Talk About Vi! (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2884689)

KuzAnn 12-09-2012 01:13 PM

Let's Talk About Vi!

Her Lore:
Quote:

To Vi, every problem is just another brick wall to punch through with her gigantic hextech gauntlets. Though she grew up on the wrong side of the law, Vi now uses her criminal know-how to serve Piltover's police force. Vi's brash attitude, abrasive humor, and blatant refusal to follow orders can often infuriate her by-the-books partner, Caitlyn. But even the sheriff of Piltover cannot deny that Vi is an invaluable asset in the fight against crime.

As a child growing up in the lawless outskirts of Piltover, Vi learned to rob and cheat to get by. Stealing and stripping hextech hardware gave her the skills of a master mechanic, while life on the streets taught her self-reliance. When she was six, a ragtag group of criminals took a shine to the young delinquent and brought her into their fold. By the time Vi was eleven, she had become a seasoned accomplice, and she relished the thrill of every heist.
Vi's attitude changed when a raid on a mining facility went bad. She was forced to decide between fleeing with her crew and trying to save the innocent mine workers from a collapsed tunnel. Vi chose to play the hero. While searching for a way to free the mine workers from the rubble, she discovered a damaged robotic mining rig. Improvising, she wrenched off its huge fists and modified them into makeshift hextech gauntlets. Fitting the heavy weapons to her tiny hands, the young girl flexed her arm and threw a powered punch at the rubble. The force of the blow blasted away the rock. With the workers free to escape, Vi fled the scene.

After that job gone wrong, Vi severed her connection to the crew. She returned to a life of solitary crime, but stole only from other criminals. As the years went by, Vi modified and improved her hextech fists, allowing her to bust up heists and snatch loot with ease. Eventually, word of her notoriety reached Caitlyn, the famed Sheriff of Piltover. Rather than seek Vi's arrest, Caitlyn offered the criminal a way to pay her debt to society: work for the law in Piltover. Vi laughed. To her, a job that let her beat up crooks without forcing her to run from the cops sounded perfect. She immediately accepted. Caitlyn now struggles to keep Vi in line, and Vi treats Caitlyn's orders as mere suggestions, but when they work together, they are feared by all lawbreakers in Piltover.

It's a shame. I've got two fists, but you've only got one face.
So. Vi. The final champion of 2012 and our newest and shiniest hero of Piltover. I’ll say up-front that I actually really do like Vi as a character and I think a lot of fun and entertaining stories can be told about her. There’s not really a lot of meaty discussion about her on the lore forums yet, which I find to be a bit disappointing, so I’d like to hopefully get things started by talking about what I like about Vi, what I don’t like about Vi, and what I think/hope can be done with her as a character and protagonist.

What I like about her
I love tomboy characters, probably because I’m a bit of a tomboy myself. Vi has a pretty sweet design(even though I realized that her pink hair and goggles remind me of Mira Han from SC2 *shiver*): an outfit that looks like it might offer some protection in a fight and some huge awesome hextech gloves to beat down criminals with. I’ll admit I’m a bit of a sucker for the oversized mechanical gloves, they’re pretty awesome.

Just from a quick glance over her bio we get that Vi is brash, rude, impulsive, and more than a little pig-headed but with her heart ultimately in the right place. I have no objection to the poor orphan genius angle they’re using for her----the intelligence you’re born with is not dictated by how rich your parents are, and she increased her skill out of necessity in order to survive. No problem with that. The fact that she chose to risk herself to save the trapped miners confirms that she really does care about others, snarky and abrasive as she might be. Personally I find her quotes to be pretty hilarious, she’s definitely a character I’d find entertaining to read about, though there is ONE issue I have with her that I’ll get to in the next section.

What I don’t like about her
Ah, here we go. While there is a lot I like about Vi’s lore, there is one bit that I really don’t like. The fact that she is supposed to be Caitlyn’s partner. Not only does it seem out of character for Caitlyn to have a partner at all, let alone someone like Vi, I think it also stunts Vi’s potential as a main character to be attached to an already-established protagonist in this way. This is pretty much the only thing I would change, the rest I’m quite content with.

It’s absolutely fine for Vi to be working for Caitlyn, it’s fine for them to work together on specific jobs when Caitlyn actually needs Vi’s skillset, but she’s just way too reckless to be of any use on a subtle or delicate job unless she’s being used as a big noisy distraction. And that’s only if she actually goes in when Caitlyn tells her to, instead of rushing in early and possibly putting innocent lives or the lives of her fellow officers in danger. The whole refusal to listen to orders makes Vi more of a liability than an asset in a lot of situations.

Just listen to her special taunts toward Caitlyn. To me that doesn’t sound like a partner. That sounds like an employee who doesn’t really respect her boss and snickers at her when she’s not looking. By her personality she sounds like a very unpleasant working partner. Regardless of how skilled Vi is in certain areas, I don’t think Caitlyn would subject herself to that kind of abuse on a regular basis. She’s already got enough on her plate, she doesn’t need Vi to constantly wear her down on top of that.

It’s stated that Vi doesn’t listen to orders. Does that sound like someone Caitlyn can trust to get the job done? And not just done, but done right. The fact that you caught the crooks is a bit of a minor note if you leveled a building or caused casualties on your own side in the process of nabbing them. Vi has one area where she excels, let her focus on that and leave Caitlyn to the delicate work.

We could even have Vi as the head of her own division within the police force if she shows Caitlyn that she can be responsible enough. A sort of heavy-duty SWAT team division that is used to break up the tough jobs where a massive show of force is sorely needed. You could call it the Enforcers Division or something like that. It gives Vi that much more freedom to move her own story and walk her own beat, so to speak. She would still ultimately answer to Caitlyn as her employee, and they would still work together on certain jobs, but she would also have her own responsibilities to attend to on a day-to-day basis, her own people to personally lead, and her very own sidekick-partner to bounce off. The point is, Vi deserves to be more than a sidekick. Sure they’re “partners”, but Caitlyn is still Vi’s boss and she’s still the Sheriff, they’re not exactly equals as it is now.

In short: Vi does not need to be Caitlyn’s partner to be important. Let her be a high-ranking officer in the police force, let them interact, but give Vi room to breathe. Give her a special handler as a partner who has the time and energy to deal with her antics rather than constantly giving Caitlyn even more issues to deal with. This way Caitlyn stays in-character from what we’ve seen of her in past lore and we also get to enjoy Vi without constantly having Caitlyn trying to be the super-controlling Debbie Downer. I’m not saying this just because it’s out of character for Caitlyn, I’m also saying it because Vi deserves her own space as a protagonist.

What can be done with her
One of the things that gets me super excited about Vi is what can be done with her character. Vi may not be partner material for Caitlyn, but there is certainly a lot of story to be told that specifically involves the two. The first meeting and the following deal can be written out, we can even have Caitlyn consider Vi as a partner due to urgings by concerned friends and discover the hard way that this was a bad idea. We can address respect in the workplace and how Vi is able to legitimately earn the respect of her fellows in the police force and of the citizens; yes, they can respect her abilities, they can respect that she’s really good at punching criminals in the face, but we need them to respect her as a person, too. Right now Vi doesn’t act like someone who deserves that kind of respect. Yet another good story to tell is what happens the day she rushes in on the wrong job and gets someone injured or killed. She gets the chance to realize that reckless actions do not come without consequence, and it would be an excellent chance to explore her character in greater depth.

There’s an impressive selection in the way of stories you can tell with Vi. You can go comedic or downright serious in the way of stories, she’ll excel for both because of her background and her personality. Even romance might be a really interesting option with her as long as you mix in comedy as well. Vi is a comedic character because of her attitude and mannerisms, and promises to be highly entertaining if written well as a result. There is a fine line between funny snark and downright mean-spirited-wow-this-person-is-just-totally-unpleasant snark. Giving Vi her very own nemesis is an option as well, and she’ll be free to pursue him/her with more freedom if she isn’t Caitlyn’s partner.

But why did she join the League?
Honestly I have no idea, with Vi it could be as simple and silly as Piltover running out of punchable criminals because the police are so good at their job. Where else in the world would you get to punch anything from freaky bug monsters to leaders of other city-states? Silliness aside, I think this could really use some development too. Yes you can sort of handwave it away saying “oh she just likes punching things”, but there are definitely other reasons to join the League that could be explored, and I think Vi deserves to have the writers explore that. You’ve got our attention, now take her somewhere.

That’s all I can think of for now. Your turn!
So yeah, that’s Vi to me. Fun character, fun design, but one thing I’d change in the interest of in-character-ness and giving her proper room to grow. So what do you guys think of her? Where do you think she could go from here? Why do you think she joined the League? Please share your thoughts so we can get some discussion going.

Let’s talk about Vi!

Pigmeo 12-09-2012 01:25 PM

Why did she join the league? the same reason champions have been joining the league lately, its the cool thing to do...

I really like the champions that have come out lately but i cant really see reasons for them to join the league most of the time, i know riot wants to flesh out their pasts and personal stories but they feel really disconnected with the league sometimes.

I know they want to evolve them and the runeterra setting, but truth is the league is becoming a weak point in lore related works, its barely related to anything at all nowdays, and that's a shame, since it was a really interesting lore point all by itself (secret plots, dissapearance of summoners, champions "born" of the league)

Anyway, back on topic, I like vi, her attitude fits her looks and she has a cohesive theme in my opinion, i actually like the idea of her working with Caytlin, and im guessing the current lore we have on them working together is past stuff (since most new lore is made of past stories, not present ones, read karthus past and current lore, both cannon)

I bet they work better together now, like a salt and pepper sort of deal, but their first missions were probably pretty rocky stuff, and i would like a if they did a small story on one of them, would expand a lot on both characters.

Daemon 12-09-2012 01:45 PM

I wonder how her and Draven would get along. They are both really showy and bold, except Vi is a bit more rude than him. Honestly, I could see Vi working for him over Caitlyn.

KuzAnn 12-09-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pigmeo (Hozzászólás 32254367)
Why did she join the league? the same reason champions have been joining the league lately, its the cool thing to do...

I really like the champions that have come out lately but i cant really see reasons for them to join the league most of the time, i know riot wants to flesh out their pasts and personal stories but they feel really disconnected with the league sometimes.

I know they want to evolve them and the runeterra setting, but truth is the league is becoming a weak point in lore related works, its barely related to anything at all nowdays, and that's a shame, since it was a really interesting lore point all by itself (secret plots, dissapearance of summoners, champions "born" of the league)

Yes I agree it's a shame that the writers aren't bothering to seriously incorporate the League anymore. It doesn't have to be all up in your face all the time, just a relevant presence. Telling us why the champions joined and what the League is getting out of it would help a lot in keeping it relevant.

Quote:

Anyway, back on topic, I like vi, her attitude fits her looks and she has a cohesive theme in my opinion, i actually like the idea of her working with Caytlin, and im guessing the current lore we have on them working together is past stuff (since most new lore is made of past stories, not present ones, read karthus past and current lore, both cannon)

I bet they work better together now, like a salt and pepper sort of deal, but their first missions were probably pretty rocky stuff, and i would like a if they did a small story on one of them, would expand a lot on both characters.
I'm not opposed to them working together, just not all the time and not as direct partners. I said that several times in my post, I'm not against them working together, I'm against them being direct partners that do every job together. It's out of character because in this Journal of Justice, Caitlyn states that she works alone, part of why I have a problem with them being partners. Caitlyn has stated before that she doesn't want nor need a partner, she's perfectly fine flying solo, but that doesn't mean she won't call for backup in the form of Vi when she needs it. She likes working alone, but she isn't stupid.

And actually I have to disagree with the old Karthus and new Karthus being the same, which is pretty much summed up here. One of Karthus's in-game quotes "Share... My curse!" doesn't mesh with the new Karthus either since he doesn't consider his undeath to be a curse.

Daemon 12-09-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KuzAnn (Hozzászólás 32255092)
Yes I agree it's a shame that the writers aren't bothering to seriously incorporate the League anymore. It doesn't have to be all up in your face all the time, just a relevant presence. Telling us why the champions joined and what the League is getting out of it would help a lot in keeping it relevant.

I'm not opposed to them working together, just not all the time and not as direct partners. I said that several times in my post, I'm not against them working together, I'm against them being direct partners that do every job together. It's out of character because in this Journal of Justice, Caitlyn states that she works alone, part of why I have a problem with them being partners. Caitlyn has stated before that she doesn't want nor need a partner, she's perfectly fine flying solo, but that doesn't mean she won't call for backup in the form of Vi when she needs it. She likes working alone, but she isn't stupid.

And actually I have to disagree with the old Karthus and new Karthus being the same, which is pretty much summed up here. One of Karthus's in-game quotes "Share... My curse!" doesn't mesh with the new Karthus either since he doesn't consider his undeath to be a curse.

I feel like there's going to be a lot of retconning, because I was under the impression that Caitlyn worked alone even without reading the JoJ. I'm not too much of a fan of associating new champions with older ones. It's almost as ridiculous as creating a new champion and saying that he/she is Ezreal's assistant explorer, when it's well-known he's a solo explorer.

KuzAnn 12-09-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemon (Hozzászólás 32254936)
I wonder how her and Draven would get along. They are both really showy and bold, except Vi is a bit more rude than him. Honestly, I could see Vi working for him over Caitlyn.

Wow, I have no idea... And actually I think Vi is a lot more rude than Draven. Draven is rude in that he's so self-absorbed he'll ignore you or not take you seriously. Vi is just flat-out rude and will make fun of you if she feels like it, which is probably very often.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemon (Hozzászólás 32255208)
I feel like there's going to be a lot of retconning, because I was under the impression that Caitlyn worked alone even without reading the JoJ. I'm not too much of a fan of associating new champions with older ones. It's almost as ridiculous as creating a new champion and saying that he/she is Ezreal's assistant explorer, when it's well-known he's a solo explorer.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the retconning either. :( In Vi's case I think the issue is easily fixable simply by removing the "partners" bit. She can still be around Caitlyn as a boisterous and sometimes troublesome employee, just not as a partner.

Grand Viper 12-09-2012 02:20 PM

She joined because she heard of the legend who's a ranged, melee, tanky dps, assassin, mage, tank, support and jungler all in one man and she needs to punch him to the moon.

But seriously now, this was a fun discussion Kuz and I had, and in short? I really like Vi. I like her attitude, I like how she speaks, I do like her lore, I do like the implications behind it, I like the fact that she has things to say to both Caitlyn and to Jayce, but once more, all the points I'd want to make are concisely wrapped up by Kuz. Any problems I have are also said by Kuz, but there is a lot of potential there.

Story wise, a boatload in regards to Piltover and Piltover champions. She actually opens a lot of venues for them as a whole. Imagine her interacting with Heimerdinger with that kind of attitude? Imagine her speaking with Janna, with Jayce, maybe even Blitzcrank. Maybe she wants to outpunch the lovable steam golem. There's a lot of story potential for her and the Piltover champions, both comedic, and serious, so all in all, I like her.

And I can't help but grin every time she uses her Q. It makes me think of Ralf's Galactica Phantom from KoF.

Summoner Abyss 12-10-2012 03:09 AM

I like Vi's story and with the partnership of Caitlyn, think of it as a Lovely Angel setting.http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LovelyAngels They work out well enough with the whole the police chief "You out of line Vi, Caitlyn is your new partner.." It plays out in my head very well.

msylcatac 12-10-2012 05:05 AM

This is a really great post, riot should take this up.

Grand Viper 12-10-2012 01:09 PM

But Caitlyn is the police chief, isn't she?