League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   In-Game HUD Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New shop UI assumes everybody uses widescreen monitors (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2884314)

Zielmann 12-09-2012 10:08 AM

New shop UI assumes everybody uses widescreen monitors

2 Attachment(s)
I've attached two images to illustrate my point. On non-widescreen monitors, the shop takes up almost the entire screen, save for a small frame around it. The minimap is rendered essentially useless while looking through the shop. On widescreens, there is plenty of frame to the left and right of the shop, and the minimap is completely uncovered.

The shop could either use to be scaled down a bit for non-widescreen users, or let us resize it ourselves to suit our needs.

Ralfazar 12-09-2012 06:39 PM

The shop is still god awful huge even in widescreen, massive shop is massive even at 1920x1080.

Arcade Charlie 12-09-2012 08:09 PM

Yeah i have a widescreen but the shop is huge i like the size of the old shop alot better

Darmival 12-10-2012 11:48 AM

To be fair, if you don't have a widescreen monitor by this point then, you need to be doing something other than complaining about it.

Game designers no longer build around the old CRT or squarescreen designs. This holds true for both PCs and consoles ( for example, Call of Duty for the Ps3 chops part of the menu text off on an older tv - my tv is from around 2002 )

Amazerfulify 12-10-2012 12:35 PM

I simple hate the new patch.... all those changes.... I really hate that new shop Hud.... I don't have the words to explian myself like you do, but heck, It feels wrong..

Zielmann 12-10-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darmival (Hozzászólás 32286622)
To be fair, if you don't have a widescreen monitor by this point then, you need to be doing something other than complaining about it.

Game designers no longer build around the old CRT or squarescreen designs. This holds true for both PCs and consoles ( for example, Call of Duty for the Ps3 chops part of the menu text off on an older tv - my tv is from around 2002 )

Fun fact: I have a widescreen monitor, but I use it as my secondary screen. That's how I got the screenshots at both resolutions :p. I've played on widescreens plenty before, but I prefer the 4:3 aspect ratio. A big part of this is probably because for the first 2+ years that I played LoL, I only had the 4:3 screen. I'm used to the feel of the bounds of the screen with my mouse movements.

I actually don't hate the new HUD, and I like the way the new store is set up (now that I've spent enough time with it to get used to it). The real killer for me is just the size of it, and the fact that I can't see any of the chat and have quite a bit of the minimap covered at the same time. At least on the widescreen setup, you can see the whole minimap, and if you move the shop to the right a bit (so it nudges up to the minimap, perhaps), you can see most of the chat.

I did have a few other thoughts on the shop as well, such as moving the 'sell' button to be near the 'buy' button more like it used to be, and possibly moving your current gold count to where it's actually closer to the cost of the item you're looking to buy in the right panel. But that's pretty separated from the main issue of the store size, for me.

I know the items well enough at this point that I don't really need to be able to read any information about them. Just show me the icon, maybe the name, and the cost, and I'm fine. If I could scale the shop down in size, it would probably still be usable for me at 2/3rds current size. Maybe even half.

boourns 12-10-2012 02:44 PM

Well... actually the shop was designed with 4:3 in mind. That's why it fits on a 4:3 screen at all! It's not designed to show your chat or minimap though, nor would we necessarily prioritize this over letting you browse items. I'd sooner have you shop and get out as fast as possible and you'll see further changes to the shop to facilitate this based on what we're learning now that it's live.

At high res the shop scales up too much, I wanted to have a shop scale slider for release, but we could not get it in time.

Zielmann 12-10-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boourns (Hozzászólás 32293401)
Well... actually the shop was designed with 4:3 in mind. That's why it fits on a 4:3 screen at all! It's not designed to show your chat or minimap though, nor would we necessarily prioritize this over letting you browse items. I'd sooner have you shop and get out as fast as possible and you'll see further changes to the shop to facilitate this based on what we're learning now that it's live.

At high res the shop scales up too much, I wanted to have a shop scale slider for release, but we could not get it in time.

There's absolutely no reason the shop should even have to be as big as it is, though. Regardless of 'making it fit' on the non-widescreens, it's still quite the hindrance. Fitting on the screen size is far different than being usable on the screen size. Lack of visibility of the minimap or chat, even for a few moments while shopping, is a major issue. Especially for a support player, who tries to keep an eye on the minimap at all times to alert teammates of incoming ganks and such.

The old shop fit perfectly fine on my screen. I don't see why the new one needs to be so much larger. Especially when a lot of that size is taken up by a giant border that's essentially pointless, plus some other dead space in the UI.

Regardless, I appreciate the comments, and look forward to seeing the shop scaling option in the future. You can be guaranteed that I'll make good use of it!

David Hume 12-10-2012 03:49 PM

The item icons are waaay to small at high-ish res. At 1920x1200 the grid ones are about the same size as the mouse cursor.

TheHat27 12-10-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boourns (Hozzászólás 32293401)

So, you purposely made it so I can't ask my team which item I should get first as a support to counter the enemy?