League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   @Riot - Why is Contaminate (Trundle's W) an AoE? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2883576)

Warkeiser 12-09-2012 01:58 AM

@Riot - Why is Contaminate (Trundle's W) an AoE?

For those unacquainted with this ability, here it is:
Quote:

Contaminate
Range: 900 units
Cooldown: 15 seconds
Cost: 60 mana
Diameter: 1000 units (estimate)

Trundle infects a target location with his curse for 8 seconds, gaining 20/30/40/50/60% attack speed, 20/25/30/35/40% movement speed, and 20/25/30/35/40% crowd control reduction while standing on it.
I took the stats from the wiki so the diameter may be off. Suffice it to say, it's the largest non-ult AoE in the game, and larger than a lot of AoE ults.

Okay, so breaking it down, it's a self-only Blood Boil with bonus tenacity. It's a good ability, except there's no reason whatsoever for it to be an AoE.
  1. It doesn't effect others, neither allies nor enemies, only Trundle.
  2. It doesn't enhance any of his abilities, it just buffs his stats. I could understand if it did something like make his Q leap to targets like Rengar, but it just gives him stat buffs.
I could understand if the AoE was significant enough that it required the enemy team to react to it. Counterplay, and all that. But the problem is, Trundle is not a significant-enough threat to warrant paying attention to if you're fighting on top of Contaminate. In other words, he doesn't do nearly enough to warrant actually paying attention to him when you have a carry you could be focusing on. Such is the life of a bruiser/tank champion with no hard cc and rather low sustained damage.

I have no idea as to why Contaminate is an AoE. The only thing Contaminate being an AoE has an effect on, is neutering Trundle's ganks if the opponent has a dash. They can already dash out of his pillar, there's no need for them to be able to dash out of his speed boost.

Contaminate would make sense if it buffed/debuffed others, or enhanced his other abilities. But as it stands, I see no reason why Contaminate isn't simply a self-cast buff.

type1Rush 12-09-2012 01:59 AM

Because Trundle was released around the time that AoE / Stun lock teams were real big, which means when you used Contaminate in a teamfight, you were not really going to move from that spot anyways, because teamfights were not fluid, they stayed in one spot, and whoever had more stuns / AoE won.

Voidgolem 12-09-2012 02:01 AM

It's meant to make him a positional fighter - as in, while on the creep, Trundle is supposed to be really, really powerful. When not, he's just "ok".

Problem is that doesn't really impact the rest of his kit much/at all. And he's not that great while on the thing.

GhostDieM 12-09-2012 02:10 AM

I've always found contaminate pretty clunky to use but I think over time they made some QoL changes to it. That bein said, I'd love for it to change into a self target buff instead of this clunky AoE spell

Warkeiser 12-09-2012 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4set (Hozzászólás 32243886)
Because Trundle was released around the time that AoE / Stun lock teams were real big, which means when you used Contaminate in a teamfight, you were not really going to move from that spot anyways, because teamfights were not fluid, they stayed in one spot, and whoever had more stuns / AoE won.

So do you think it would be possible that Trundle could see a kit update soon?

type1Rush 12-09-2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warkeiser (Hozzászólás 32244170)
So do you think it would be possible that Trundle could see a kit update soon?

LOLLOLOLOL no dude. Trundle is the one champion that Riot (for some reason) refuses todo anything too.. My mind was blown that he got buffs a few patchs back, because that has been the only time since his release that Riot did anything to him **that wasnt a broad sweeping change that other champions also got**

TSM EL DARIO 12-09-2012 02:36 AM

I like the idea