League of Legends Community
12345 ... 7

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   In-Game HUD Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Constructive Criticism about new UI/shop (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2877488)

LadyAzalea 12-07-2012 02:37 PM

Ongoing List of Problems with new UI/shop: Constructive criticism/suggestions

First impressions combined with some other realizations from actual game play have compelled me to create the post. I aim to be as constructive as possible... If you have any suggestions to add (or complaints + constructive comments of your own) feel free to add them. I am trying to highlight every negative point in one collective location. Some problems may have no decent solutions for right now.

More ideas and suggestions added daily! Please note!

Problem 1: Cannot chat while shop (or tab?) is open
Solution(?): Compare old coding with new shop coding to once again enable chat with new UI features
**Apparently they are working on this but will probably not have the coding changed for it by the new year**

Problem 2: UI/Shop/tab takes up a lot of the screen even with changing hud size; Shop and tab have a lot of wasted space which could stand to be condensed/shrunk; In some resolutions, shop is so huge it actually covers minimap.
Solutions: Condense images to counter the amount of wasted space taking up the screen (ie removing borders on items/owned items; move "owned items", gold amount, and "sell" button to right side of screen to more evenly weight shops-- LOTS of empty space there), make shop transparent, find a way to change/scale the size of the screens in user options, and/or create an option to revert to old shop;
They intend on creating a shop slider to address the issues of size/resolution.

Problem 3: UI/Shop seems bulky, cluttered, unorganized, unstreamlined,
Solutions: Try to weigh text more evenly/symmetrically (lots of text on left, lots of wasted space on right); Ask for feedback and consider users’ suggestions as to how it could be better arranged in a more appealing way; consider using a custom HUD such as from http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2369285; ; Also: refer to solutions for problem 2
For now, it appears the layout will stand. Length will stay the same. However, there may be a moves to buttons such as "sell".

Problem 4: Shop seems inefficient; Items cannot be purchased efficiently with clicks—more clicks are needed to buy items than previously (nearly 4 times to buy one item, which can result in accidentally purchasing wrong item or too many of an item); shop clicks are laggy; leveling up is laggy; search feature/shop is laggy
Solutions: Find a way to make clicks more efficient—it should only take one or two clicks to buy an item—not four! Make UI more mouse/click friendly*
This is still an ongoing issue for users. REDS recommend posting dxdiags to help figure out the problem. It is an issue they are aware about and may be looking into.

Problem 5: While the shop seems to be huge, other graphics/text seem to be too small or poor (ex: Assist pictures/kills are tiny compared to what they used to be, Recall text/animation, item # (not position) hard to decipher in new text without sacrificing screen size by bumping up hud resolution)
Solutions: Allow an option to change sizing of these, OR, revert these less important graphics to size they used to be
Some of these were fixed with the first Patch balance. Others still exist (ie assist pictures still seem very small, recall text on a bigger monitor still seems a bit smaller than previously.) There are quality problems in the HUD which will take a lot of effort to fix.

Problem 6: New colors/look of UI are an eyesore (both literally and figuratively)
Solutions: Make it so that thick borders of new UI can be thinned out or removed/turned off; change color of flares from tealish to something less straining on the eyes, allow option to revert to old UI
This still appears to be a concern of some users, and not one that has really been addressed.

Problem 7: Surrender bar needs borders once more. It is hard for colorblind people to decipher the difference in colors and it makes it hard to count votes on quick glance since they are all blended now.
Solution: Add the black border around each individual vote, as they were before.
A change to surrender voting will come with the New Years Patch, which will allow people to determine each vote better. Not sure about what will change, if anything, with color choice.

Problem 8: Search text cannot be highlighted/and backspaced/deleted in case of mistakes/typos
Solution: Find a way to make UI more mouse friendly* so that items can be backspaced
Text apparently *can* be highlighted, however, no animation or highlight is shown when you do it, so it's hard to tell what you have selected for deletion. This is not a top priority to be addressed.

Problem 9: Position numbers on items (lower left hand corner) are distracting (ex, Wards in 4th position may make you think you have 4 wards)
Solutions: Remove position number, as they seem unnecessary, or allow users to disable it
Although they still can be a bit distracting, it has been stated these will not be removed. I would love to see an option to disable them for the future, though.

Problem 10: Mini map cannot be as big as it used to be(?)
Solution: Reference old mini map maximum size and reinstate, allow reversion to old HUD
Issue has not been addressed by a Red.

Problem 11: Default purchasing screen doesn’t seem to save preference upon starting a new game
Solution:
Post dxdiags if your preferred shop page is not showing when you start up.

Problem 12: Items with apostrophes unsearchable without it (ie Dorans MUST be found using Doran's)
Solution: Add alternate spellings to items that have apostrophes in their titles
New search terms are being compiled constantly, so please list any recommendations here and they will make note of it.

Problem 13: Experience bar seems to have shrunken? -- harder to tell when about to level up.
Solution: Make it avail. to custom size or revert to old (size) settings, make entire length of stats box, not only about 1/2 of it.
They plan on showing XP numbers instead of the bar, now. Numbers are shown via hovering over the bar. It was apparently an oversight made in the first patch.

Problem 14: Changing item placement via dragging doesn't seem to cooperate
Solution:
Working on explaining this better. Drag & drop in the shop is something that is being considered.

Problem 15: "Sells for" (and amount) seems to no longer be listed
Solution: Re-add sellback value so you know how much your items sellback for!
Sellback value is visible on the tool tip of an item. Still hard to see/access if you ask me!

Search suggestions
Make "search" tab available on both shop screens, not just one.
Add some sort of feature for search items in the case of misspellings/typos (ie “did your mean”)
Add common support types/roles in the search, to bring up related items (ie "tanky" and "support" -- neither of which exist currently)
Make it so words w/ apostrophes are still searchable (ie Doran's as Dorans)
Add "10 or ten" to "gold per" search (gold per ten; gold per 10). 10/Ten doesn't register currently.

Other suggestions/important suggestions to reiterate:
Consider removing the borders around "owned" items and items in general. This will take away from the "wasted space" feel by making things more compact, like they used to be. (and less graphics = less lag, no?)
Place "sell" button and gold amount closer to "buy" button-- on right side (would also help even out the R and L sides of shop)
Make boots, 3 pots recommended items for ALL characters, not just some.
Allow pressing "enter" to purchase an item (may speed up shop times)
Undo purchase feature (I know this was discussed but just re-mentioning it, especially since clicking can cause issues with the current lag)

LuvCup 12-07-2012 06:41 PM

LOL Overrides system double-click speed in the new shop. I'm a mobility-impaired gamer. I cannot double-click to buy in the shop.

LuvCup 12-07-2012 06:42 PM

About the new UI (non-shop), the new chat font is too small. I'm a visually impaired user, and I cannot read the new font even with my glasses on. An adjustable font size or higher static font size would make more sense.

LadyAzalea 12-07-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvCup (Hozzászólás 32199943)
About the new UI (non-shop), the new chat font is too small. I'm a visually impaired user, and I cannot read the new font even with my glasses on. An adjustable font size or higher static font size would make more sense.

Hi Luv, did you look in your settings for this?
When I first came on the other day I had the OMG I CAN'T READ MY CHAT reaction. But there was a sliding scale for chat size (or so I thought) that I discovered in interface options. See if you can find that and see if it helps at all with your issue. I thought to add it to here since I had seen others complain about it, but I was able to resolve the issue on my own so I figure that is one that is easily resolvable.

LuvCup 12-07-2012 06:53 PM

I maximized my font size and minimized my resolution. The font size is still perhaps an arial 6

LuvCup 12-07-2012 06:54 PM

It's not 'chat size'. It's 'chat HUD size'.

LadyAzalea 12-07-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvCup (Hozzászólás 32200280)
It's not 'chat size'. It's 'hud size'.

I have opened a custom game to experiment.
It's "hud chat size" which doesn't affect the size of your actual HUD at all -- just the chat size. If you maximize it (send the slider all the way to the right) it should increase your size. Try it out and see what happens.

LuvCup 12-07-2012 09:12 PM

1) I can't slide it all the way to the right because it's already there.
2) If I slide it to the left, it decreases the height of the chat HUD. If I slide it to the right, it increases the height of the chat HUD. It doesn't change the font.

Also, thank you for the responses, so far.

Azell 12-08-2012 01:24 AM

Man u really got on one single post. ALL MY FEELINGS love you.

Cure Gorilla 12-08-2012 02:46 AM

Quote:

Problem 4: Shop seems inefficient; Items cannot be purchased efficiently with clicks—more clicks are needed to buy items than previously (nearly 4 times to buy one item, which can result in accidentally purchasing wrong item or too many of an item); shop clicks are laggy
Solutions: Find a way to make clicks more efficient—it should only take one or two clicks to buy an item—not four! Make UI more mouse/click friendly*
Agreee, I was about to write about it too. It's very annoying to not be able to buy items (especially pots and wards) as fast as with prevoius UI. I could just click six times in a row and they 3 red pots appeared , now I have to wait for every single pot and it takes near three times as much as it did.