League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   PVP.net Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   IP to RP and Vice Versa Conversion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2876822)

BananaStroker 12-07-2012 12:40 PM

IP to RP and Vice Versa Conversion

I would love to see an ability that allows us to turn some of our in-game IP into RP at a conversion rate set by Riot, as well as turning RP into IP at another set conversion rate.

A couple of friends and I were discussing this and I was not the one with the original idea, (My friend Darth_Nerdi0us/Josh was), and we figured we'd leave it as a suggestion!

Any support on this one, summoners?

Dawnzz 12-07-2012 03:21 PM

Don't support.

ACGIFT 12-09-2012 04:35 PM

One should not be allowed to buy in-game currency with real money, and that's what being able to convert RP to IP directly would do.

It'd make much of the game rather unbalanced: as suddenly those with RP to spare could EASILY have awesome full sets of runes, ones that relatively new players (read: less than 500 wins or so) would still be struggling to work towards, ESPECIALLY if they spent a decent deal of IP on champions.

Similarly, the reverse would just plain be bad; it could gut the sales of RP, which is what Riot uses to keep everything operating.

Lastly, it'd have all sorts of issues: what would the conversion rate be? Items purchasable with both don't all have the same conversion rate: bottom-tier champs are a whole 260 RP vs. 450 IP, while it's only 975 RP for a 6,300 RP champion; 3.75 the RP instead of 14 times the IP.

So far, I'm happy with the split we currently see: champions and rune pages can be bought with both RP and IP, while skins and boosts are RP-only, and runes are IP-only.

IVIarijuana 12-09-2012 05:05 PM

Riot games does not support selling Power aka " IP " so converting RP to IP is out of the question.
Also this is a free game to play Riot would lose huge profit if they made it you could convert IP to RP.

Imo if you want skins bonus's ect get a job or deal with it.

IVIarijuana 12-09-2012 05:06 PM

Riot does not sell power so converting RP to IP is out of the question.

Arcticfury 12-10-2012 05:37 AM

BAD idea, very very bad. Ruin a free game and create imbalance. RP doesn't add to your playing abilities, true you can get more champs quicker, but otherwise you just get skins which do nothing for your gaming. No, this is something you can live without. The day Riot considers this is the day we can start our countdown to LoL being a thing of the past.

Beaumains 12-10-2012 02:03 PM

IF they did this, it would have to be on the order of (at least) 10,000 IP = (no more than) 100 RP.

ACGIFT 12-10-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaumains (Hozzászólás 32291843)
IF they did this, it would have to be on the order of (at least) 10,000 IP = (no more than) 100 RP.

But what about the inverse? Would 100 RP trade into anything CLOSE to 10,000 IP? Even at 1,000 IP, that'd still be quite broken: just go buy a $5 Riot Points card to get more than enough for any champion. Or even if fixed, (so, say, 100 RP got you no more than 645, roughly where it'd be equal) that'd be still both troubling in how easily one could get runes for cash.

Also, think of low-tier champions: suddenly that 650 RP card, instead of getting you 2.5 bottom-price champions, could convert to IP and get you ~9.3 of them. Who'd ever want to buy that $5 "starter pack" then? You could just buy the skin normally, and still almost have enough to buy all the champions... So that'd be favorable even if just TWO of those four champs you didn't like. (which between Ashe, Garen, Ryze, Yi, and Annie, wouldn't be hard!)

Okay, then we cut it so that 100 RP gets you... 173 IP, so it's equal for the conversion rate for bottom-price champs. At that spot, what's the point? Just go buy a per-win IP boost. Spend 160 RP for a 2-win boost, win Summoner's Rift twice, and get a 100->181 conversion rate. That's what it boils down to for the "I want to buy IP" argument: just go ahead and buy yourself an IP boost. No, it's not instant gratification, but that's not what this game is about.

As for making RP from IP... To be honest, this game is free. There is no serious penalty for not paying cash: the cheap champions are just as liable to be overpowered as the expensive ones. And you certainly will spend a LOT of time playing this. Basically, you could compare this to a WoW or other MMO subscription: you'd have spent $120-180 a YEAR otherwise. So it's still vastly cheaper just to buy a little RP. Just go ahead and figure "well, this is part of my entertainment, so it deserves a bit of a budget."

You'd be surprised: in the end you'll wind up justifying the purchase of more RP than you would through any REMOTELY sane "convert IP to RP" procedure. (remember that rune pages are 590 RP vs. 6,300 IP, so THAT has to be the lowest conversion rate) Earning 6,300 IP is a pain; much easier to just occasionally drop $5 on an RP card. I know most playing have casual spending money that they could divert to that... And those genuinely destitute enough to not? Well, I'd hazard a guess that they aren't the ones doing the complaining, since they're the kind of people who're used to doing without.

Beaumains 12-14-2012 03:25 AM

@ACGIFT, I probably should have clarified that the gigantic IF was not meant to be an iff. You clearly put a lot of thought into your response, but I was well ahead of you on that count, and having taken the OP to mean a strictly IP => RP conversion, I guess I pulled both a Twitch and a Shen there; my apologies.

That said, and in case my original comment wasn't clear enough, I'd be more worried about the potential abuse in never actually paying money for RP; Riot is a business, and if they don't make money somewhere, we don't have a game.

ValorAndGlory 12-14-2012 04:09 PM

Regardless of how good of an argument you think you might have it all boils down to one point.

You want RP but don't want to pay for it, as Panzerfaust told me once
Quote:

Originally Posted by Panzerfaust (Hozzászólás 28874936)
While I can understand your reasoning, it would be extremely unhealthy for the game to do so. Riot's monetization strategy is extremely solid. You can only buy convenience or cosmetics with cash, and the only thing you can't get with the in-game currency is skins, which have no effect on the power or versatility you have access to.