League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   @RIOT: How to discourage AFK and get people wanting to not leave the game (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2872361)

Aerinx 12-06-2012 07:05 AM

@RIOT: How to discourage AFK and get people wanting to not leave the game

So... sometime ago a thread crossed my screen with someone wanting to work on Game Design, and one of you guys challenged him with a few design problems. I could not post at the time (I usually play in dev-forgotten EUW server, didn't have forum permissions here) and I can't find the thread now. Here is my approach to solve one of those problems:

How to encourage players to stay in the game instead of going afk

Reward them for consecutive played games without going afk. If you play let's say 50 consecutive games without going afk you are rewarded with a ward skin. A different ward skin is unlocked at higher numbers of consecutive played games, let's say at 100 and 250 games.

You are allowed to disconnect from a started game and don't come back once or twice every 24 hours with a small penalty towards your next goal (the next 10 games will not count towards getting your next ward skin). This allows for the normal service and personal problems that arise from time to time without hitting too harshly.
Maybe maximum of twice per day but restricted times in a week, you will not want to punish on second disconnect because people would stop playing after the random disconnect in fear of the next point, but you would want to restrict it weekly so people don't use that as a free leave game card.

So... I said punish and you won't want to punish people for going afk without being able to assess the reasons for doing so, sort of. If you fail to comply with the previous point and disconnect without coming back more times than allowed, you just lose one rank in your rewards ladder, losing access to one ward skin and having to play the necesary games without going afk to regain the skin ward again.

Additional notes:
<>Custom games should not count towards this rewards.

<>It would be nice if you could activate your ward skins and view your progress on the profile section (a new tab) instead of using the shop, you want visibility on this.

2nddimension 12-06-2012 07:10 AM

Bump, pretty good idea. The rewards need to be minor, but tangible.

Yusuf Almunadem 12-06-2012 07:19 AM

bump

N0un0urs 12-06-2012 07:30 AM

Bum p

MrGrimm999 12-06-2012 07:34 AM

Just give something that people want, boost in IP/RP while you have been in 25/50/75/100/150/200 etc consecutive games. Have the boost be small, but enough that people will want it.

Aerinx 12-06-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGrimm999 (Hozzászólás 32146022)
Just give something that people want, boost in IP/RP while you have been in 25/50/75/100/150/200 etc consecutive games. Have the boost be small, but enough that people will want it.

Do you think ward skins is not something people want? Or do you think it would not be enough?

LuminesDragon 12-06-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGrimm999 (Hozzászólás 32146022)

Sounds like a good step.

Pulsefire EzreaI 12-06-2012 09:05 PM

There's still detriments in this community that will do it without thinking about it because they just like to make people miserable. There's no way to end "afking" in this game.

Insane Shank 12-06-2012 09:17 PM

This is a great idea, RIOT please read!

Aerinx 12-06-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pulsefire EzreaI (Hozzászólás 32165214)
There's still detriments in this community that will do it without thinking about it because they just like to make people miserable. There's no way to end "afking" in this game.

Of course not, there is no way to completely end it unless you start banning left and right, but there are ways to reduce the people doing it and encourage them to not go AFK.