League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   In-Game HUD Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New version UI frustrations and simple solutions (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2868450)

EasymodeX 12-05-2012 06:11 AM

New version UI frustrations and simple solutions

I'm reposting this from another forum because I actually put >10 seconds into it, and if Riot fixes any of this stuff I'd be happy.

1. The new interface is frustrating because the design seems to be oriented towards "MAKE THE INTERFACE LOUDER". This is 100% opposite of what I want in a HUD/UI. I want the UI to "NOT BE THERE" as much as possible, while still segmenting information. Specifically, all the bright borders (bronze-theme / yellow / gold) are very distracting. The prior version had a mellow blue/dark blue border theme that was easily ignorable. I'm playing the game, not the UI.

At the very least, make the interface customizeable so players can disable borders or something if they don't want to see it. Whether this is a full-on customization (yeah right) or just a checkbox to disable loud borders (<-----!!!) ...

2. The chatbox text is extremely small. I think this is a known issue so I won't belabor the point.

3. The UI scale for LoL still has not been fixed since release. Specifically, the maximum UI scale is far too small. The max UI scale should be DOUBLE (e.g. 2x width, 2x height = 4x total area) the current value. The native resolution on my monitor is 2560 x 1600, at ~33". The maximum UI scale playing at that res is microscopic. Even at 1920x1200, maximum UI scale is slightly small (for the champ icons on the left).

4. The shop interface is frustrating for a few specific reasons:

- It takes more clicks and shuffling to get to the item I'm looking for. I feel the primary culprit of this is that the recommended items and "all items" are on separate tabs, so I have to click back and forth between the two. In the prior UI, the recommended items and "all items" were accessible via the same panel.

- The multiple checkbox approach is theoretically useful, but currently awkward because of the amount of space the selection area uses compared to the results area. In a practical use-case, I typically remember ONE stat on an item I'm looking for and search on that. Then, I select the item from the list. This poses two basic requirements: (a) the list of items is large, and (b) conversely, the criteria selection is small.

Currently, the criteria selection area is very large, and takes up way too much footprint. I recommend a checkbox option for "COMPACT MODE" where all the criteria (e.g. "ATTACK, ABILITY POWER", etc) are all abbreviated and condensed into a small width:

[ ] AD
[ ] AS
[ ] AP
[ ] ArP
[ ] Arm
[ ] MR
[ ] HP
[ ] HP/5
[ ] crit%
[ ] MP
[ ] Consum

For example. This would allow 80% of the panel space to be allocated for The Results List.

Now, for the results list I recommend one simple adjustment: segregate the results by item tiers using simple horizontal bars. This will help the player quickly navigate and skim through the items.

Also, the icons for items should be larger for the "inventory mimic" area and the "build up information" area on the top. In the prior interface I used those parts over half the time for item navigation, and now they are small.

DAVdaBRAV 12-05-2012 10:31 AM

BUMP. You make good observations and suggestions without sounding whiny or cursing, which most of the posts critical of the new UI seem to have. Riot might actually reply to this one if it gets enough attention.
and...
@ Riot, please allow the item shop to be scaled down at least as small as the old shop window. The new one really does take up the entire screen on 5:4 and 4:3 monitors.

Skevoid 12-05-2012 06:35 PM

Upvote from me. Non-scalable interfaces always seem wrong, since people will be playing on vastly different monitors.

Skidd6666 12-05-2012 06:59 PM

Honestly the new hud is looking good, but the fact is that my computer was running the game at 60 fps all the time and now has barely 30...kinda hard to get used to the item shop and stuff....my computer is right on the limit between cheap and close to fair...so i think people like me will suffer from it...

Brogue 12-05-2012 08:17 PM

I have to agree. The chatbox text is just waaayyy to tiny for me. Even with my glasses, it's just a pain.

boourns 12-06-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EasymodeX (Hozzászólás 32111748)
I'm reposting this from another forum because I actually put >10 seconds into it, and if Riot fixes any of this stuff I'd be happy.

1. The new interface is frustrating because the design seems to be oriented towards "MAKE THE INTERFACE LOUDER". This is 100% opposite of what I want in a HUD/UI. I want the UI to "NOT BE THERE" as much as possible, while still segmenting information. Specifically, all the bright borders (bronze-theme / yellow / gold) are very distracting. The prior version had a mellow blue/dark blue border theme that was easily ignorable. I'm playing the game, not the UI.

At the very least, make the interface customizeable so players can disable borders or something if they don't want to see it. Whether this is a full-on customization (yeah right) or just a checkbox to disable loud borders (<-----!!!) ...

2. The chatbox text is extremely small. I think this is a known issue so I won't belabor the point.

3. The UI scale for LoL still has not been fixed since release. Specifically, the maximum UI scale is far too small. The max UI scale should be DOUBLE (e.g. 2x width, 2x height = 4x total area) the current value. The native resolution on my monitor is 2560 x 1600, at ~33". The maximum UI scale playing at that res is microscopic. Even at 1920x1200, maximum UI scale is slightly small (for the champ icons on the left).

4. The shop interface is frustrating for a few specific reasons:

- It takes more clicks and shuffling to get to the item I'm looking for. I feel the primary culprit of this is that the recommended items and "all items" are on separate tabs, so I have to click back and forth between the two. In the prior UI, the recommended items and "all items" were accessible via the same panel.

- The multiple checkbox approach is theoretically useful, but currently awkward because of the amount of space the selection area uses compared to the results area. In a practical use-case, I typically remember ONE stat on an item I'm looking for and search on that. Then, I select the item from the list. This poses two basic requirements: (a) the list of items is large, and (b) conversely, the criteria selection is small.

Currently, the criteria selection area is very large, and takes up way too much footprint. I recommend a checkbox option for "COMPACT MODE" where all the criteria (e.g. "ATTACK, ABILITY POWER", etc) are all abbreviated and condensed into a small width:

[ ] AD
[ ] AS
[ ] AP
[ ] ArP
[ ] Arm
[ ] MR
[ ] HP
[ ] HP/5
[ ] crit%
[ ] MP
[ ] Consum

For example. This would allow 80% of the panel space to be allocated for The Results List.

Now, for the results list I recommend one simple adjustment: segregate the results by item tiers using simple horizontal bars. This will help the player quickly navigate and skim through the items.

Also, the icons for items should be larger for the "inventory mimic" area and the "build up information" area on the top. In the prior interface I used those parts over half the time for item navigation, and now they are small.

1. I'll talk to the visual designer about making the borders tighter, my personal preference is for minimal chrome as well. But I'm also not representative of all players.

2. Unintended side effect of a font change, we are fixing this (in fact that was most of my last couple days investigating this)

3. Mmmmmm at that monitor size your UI should be HUGE. It scales relative to screen height, it should always take the same proportion of the screen. If you *really* want it bigger you can edit your config/game.cfg. Look in this forum, someone has posted details. Also try resetting your HUD scale in the options menu.

4. I think there's a problem with the function, but tab should swap you between all items and recommended. I would also encourage you to explore the custom recommended item builders people have made, we created that API so you guys could customize. I would, of course, have preferred to have created tools for you as well.

I'd consider abbreviated stat names for advanced users. Maybe if you have selected icon only mode. For newer players, the abbreviations would be hella confusing :(

BooleanCube 12-06-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boourns (Hozzászólás 32166044)
I'd consider abbreviated stat names for advanced users. Maybe if you have selected icon only mode. For newer players, the abbreviations would be hella confusing :(

This is exactly the issue we'd like to pursue; customization hidden in layers. Only a player who's already comfortable with the interface and the game is going to know where every button is and tweak the exact HUD scales, keyboard layouts, and things like that to their preference; while any new player is just going to roll with what they see. There are even some pro players who, for all of their mechanical skill, still haven't realized there is a Grid Layout button.
As long as you put these options are tucked away behind menus, out of the immediate sight of new players, they are not going to pose problems for getting immersed into the game. Honestly, the Grid Layout button shouldn't even be in the shop itself, it should be in the Interfaces menu, next to the "Compact Filters" button under a "Shop Options" heading.
You could even consider hiding some of these menu options behind ANOTHER button in the menus labelled "Show Advanced Options."

On another issue: If/when Riot implements their own built-in Item Changer, there should be a checkbox for a "global recommended loadout" that, when toggled, uses that global loadout on every champion (not overwriting any previous loadouts of course, just substitution). The purpose of this would be to allow what many players have dreamed of: A simple implementation of a "tree" system where you could have organize everything by 3 categories: Basic Items, Consumables, and Other (Doran's, Hex Core, etc...) which many players would love since we maneuver between items by what they build into/from.

EasymodeX 12-07-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boourns (Hozzászólás 32166044)
1. I'll talk to the visual designer about making the borders tighter, my personal preference is for minimal chrome as well. But I'm also not representative of all players.

2. Unintended side effect of a font change, we are fixing this (in fact that was most of my last couple days investigating this)

3. Mmmmmm at that monitor size your UI should be HUGE. It scales relative to screen height, it should always take the same proportion of the screen. If you *really* want it bigger you can edit your config/game.cfg. Look in this forum, someone has posted details. Also try resetting your HUD scale in the options menu.

4. I think there's a problem with the function, but tab should swap you between all items and recommended. I would also encourage you to explore the custom recommended item builders people have made, we created that API so you guys could customize. I would, of course, have preferred to have created tools for you as well.

Thanks for your reply.

1. The borders thing is really just going to end up being a "personal preference" topic. It seems like it would be preferable to just switch the "UI skin" in-game between various options, but I don't know how easy that would be with the game architecture.

3. I wish it were huge and I could scale down the UI. It's been like that for the past several years (and I've re-installed LoL a few times over that duration). I'll check out the game.cfg.

One other note: do you have any thoughts on the size of the "upper tier progression" tree icons and the "this is your inventory" icons on the shop panel? I use those (and I would guess a lot of players use those) to navigate for items over half the time (e.g. you have a Brutalizer in your inventory and you are upgrading to BC -- it's easiest to just click on the Brut then the upgrade tree). Currently they seem small to match the icons throughout the shop panel.

In the prior UI version, the icons for those things were much larger and easy to interpret in the 1.5 seconds I want to spend at the shop :D.

Labomba 12-07-2012 12:30 PM

While we're reading this, can we ....

- Get chat to work while viewing the store? Currently, I'm unable to communicate with my team because the shop's search box captures the enter key.

- Find some way to allow the scoreboard to be displayed while viewing the score. On the previous shop, I was able to drag it down on my screen, then hold the tab key to view each player's items to determine what I needed to buy in cases of uncertainty. Now, you cannot view the scoreboard at all while the shop is up.

boourns 12-08-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Labomba (Hozzászólás 32186227)
While we're reading this, can we ....

- Get chat to work while viewing the store? Currently, I'm unable to communicate with my team because the shop's search box captures the enter key.

- Find some way to allow the scoreboard to be displayed while viewing the score. On the previous shop, I was able to drag it down on my screen, then hold the tab key to view each player's items to determine what I needed to buy in cases of uncertainty. Now, you cannot view the scoreboard at all while the shop is up.

Yeah we're investigating both those things. It's more complicated because we had to handle keyboard input into search. Probably won't see anything before the new year...