League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Tribunal Ban Inquiries (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   3 Years Played, 4000+ Games, 2000+ Elo, And Perma Banned [LONG POST] (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2861494)

Demunlul 12-03-2012 06:44 PM

3 Years Played, 4000+ Games, 2000+ Elo, And Perma Banned [LONG POST]

Hey guys, this is Demunlul, formerly of Team LgN. My friend Myth51 was banned about a week ago after more than 3 years of us playing together. I’m posting this because I feel that Myth has been wrongfully abused by a system that needs reevaluation as to its purpose. I hope that you will read and consider what I have to say; truly my only intention is to improve how this community handles so-called “toxic” behaviors, as well as use of the Tribunal and the reporting system as a whole.

Like I said, I’ve played hundreds of games with Myth over the years, and I’ve always had a good experience with him. I find his behavior to be substantially better than many people that I’ve had the misfortune of playing with. I’ve always looked at his reform cards every time he has been suspended leading up to this and I’ve always been very confused by how the things that he says in the games are being punished by the Tribunal. I would classify even the “worst” comments as generally mild. And the most recent reform card – the perma ban – completely boggles the mind as to how this is something that this community considers to be ban worthy.

I think the largest problem stemming from the Tribunal is the stigma that is set, and rightfully so, that reporting players, regardless of the quality or correctness of the reports (evidenced by the vast majority of reports in games on reform cards having absolutely no reason listed with the report.) Additionally, I remember reading a red post which stated something along the lines of: Entrance to Tribunal = # Of Reports x Time. meaning that, if the formula yields a high enough value, an account goes to the Tribunal (However I have no clue as to how the 3-5 games are selected for review, maybe someone can enlighten me.) This leads to a huge amount of players accounts entering the Tribunal, especially those who play the game many hours a day. Because of this stigma, everyone loves to threaten to report, and click that report button when a player : 1) does poorly; or 2) says that you are doing poorly, giving reasons as to why; or 3) Insults your skill.

Now, in my opinion, none of the 3 things above should be something players should be reported for. Reporting should be reserved for malicious or wanton attacks (i.e. not those made jokingly) on someone’s character and intentional trolling. It would then follow that players would, and should, only be suspended for the two things listed above. I understand that some of the community disagrees. Some believe that “gg noobs” or “wow what are you doing wtf” as well as “you’re bad” are such terrible and hurtful comments that the utterance of such a phrase in game is evidence that a player should no longer be able to play the game, permanently or otherwise. I disagree.

Should attacks to someone’s gameplay skill warrant bans? I think that is a question that this community, as well as Riot needs to ask themselves. In my mind, the answer is No. And why would it be anything else?

Now I’d like to talk about this, in relation to my friend Myth. For analysis, please refer to his most recent Reform Card, http://na.leagueoflegends.com/tribunal/en/case/5974404.

I submit that the only way to properly evaluate if someone has crossed the symbolic line is through empathy, that is, trying to put yourself in the player’s shoes.

I think we can all agree that games 3 and 5 contain no malicious material what so ever. Specifically, game 3 contains a Clarity, AP, Support Ally Lux with no chat, and 5 contains nothing malicious, even while the Irelia player spammed the chat all game. I found that Myth contained his composure very well that game, so I believe we can skip over those, or perhaps take them into consideration in a positive light, your choice.

In game 4, Myth jokingly asks a player if he is autistic. This summoner is actually named “Autism5ever” and once he starts freaking out in chat, Myth jokingly asks if he actually has autism. I’ve played with Autism5ever several times, and he has anger issues. He’s actually stole my red buff with Tibbers once when I was jungling. I can’t fault him for that game. However, none of this is known to those judging the case.

Now as to games 1 and 2; game 1 contains competitive jests to the laneing opponent. Is challenging someone’s skill, especially not even a teammate, something you feel that YOU should be banned for? I personally don’t, but clearly some do. There’s a lack of mandate in this issue, but I guess Riot’s stance is that it should be. I fundamentally disagree with that. Without personal attacks or trolling, how could we as a community think that’s enough to stop someone from enjoying the game with the rest of us?

Game 2, probably contains the most border line statement of the group:

Nunu: did cait and shaco duo
Nunu: because they both
Nunu: are braindead

Attack on character? Perhaps. Maliciously? Of course not. Surely no one here believes that Myth actually considered the players to be physically braindead. In context, we can see that the statement was made as an attack on skill, and I think what it comes down to is an attack on a players skill something reportable?

So, do we as the community hold that 2 instances of attacks on player skill warrant a perma-ban? I would argue no, but generally, I think that many of you may, which I think is something that needs to be considered more in depth.

I’ll leave you with this:
Should attacks to someone’s gameplay skill warrant bans? Shall it be limited to malicious and wanton attacks on character and trolling, or are you ok with players being permanently banned for telling someone they believe them to be unskilled?

HatredTrinity 12-03-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LgN Demunlul (Hozzászólás 32054340)
I’ll leave you with this:
Should attacks to someone’s gameplay skill warrant bans? Shall it be limited to malicious and wanton attacks on character and trolling, or are you ok with players being permanently banned for telling someone they believe them to be unskilled?

Well stated. This made me think about it, and I think I do tend to agree with you. I won't say that I have never insulted a players skill; I have many times. But do I think that I should have been banned for doing it? No, I honestly don't.

Freak3r 12-03-2012 06:47 PM

I agree, for justice!

Warbéar 12-03-2012 06:48 PM

So the system is wrong.

Your friend is an angel.

You're not biased in this predicament.

No.

Edit: Aaand I was right, thanks for the downvotes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DimasPyrros (Hozzászólás 32054618)
Annie [00:27:02] LOL
Annie [00:27:03] THIS GRAVES
Annie [00:27:05] IS SO BAD
Annie [00:27:10] no wonder were losing

Annie [00:27:24] wait
Annie [00:27:24] wait
Annie [00:27:25] wtf
Annie [00:27:27] look at ur items
Annie [00:27:28] YOU HAVE NOTHING
Annie [00:27:29] WOW

Annie [00:41:00] NO ONE ON THIS TAEM
Annie [00:41:01] CAN GROUP
Annie [00:41:02] ****ING

Annie [All] [00:42:54] zyra honestly you are terrible stop talking

Annie [00:43:32] please
Annie [00:43:34] just stay as 5
Annie [00:43:37] ITS REALLY NOT HARD
Annie [00:43:44] wt
Annie [00:43:45] wtf
Annie [00:43:45] wtf
Annie [00:43:46] wt
Annie [00:43:46] wt
Amumu [All] [00:43:47] LOL
Annie [00:43:47] wt
Annie [00:43:48] wtf
Amumu [All] [00:43:49] THAT FLASH
Annie [00:43:49] wtf
Annie [00:43:50] wtf
Zyra [All] [00:43:51] nice

Annie [00:44:09] insanely retarded

LMAO thats just from 1 game...

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM

tears of a toxic player

bileybegia 12-03-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warbéar (Hozzászólás 32054463)
So the system is wrong.

Your friend is an angel.

No.

I bet you are autism5ever

Freak3r 12-03-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

So the system is wrong.

Your friend is an angel.

No.

You formed an opinion without even reading the thread. Good job.

Warbéar 12-03-2012 06:51 PM

O.o No I'm just a rational individual who doesn't suck every e-celeb's dong like a lot people do.

Demunlul 12-03-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

So the system is wrong.

Your friend is an angel.

No.

I'm not being biased at all, did you even read the post or look at the reform card? I doubt so considering you posted within 2 minutes of this being posted.

RYOThatesme 12-03-2012 06:51 PM

DUUUUUUUUUUUUR I TROLL HUR AND SAY IT DESERVED CAUSE IM A RETARDD KID THAT CANT THINK ON HIS OWN DUR duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuur

Demunlul 12-03-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RYOThatesme (Hozzászólás 32054573)
DUUUUUUUUUUUUR I TROLL HUR AND SAY IT DESERVED CAUSE IM A RETARDD KID THAT CANT THINK ON HIS OWN DUR duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuur

?