League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   PVP.net Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Spanish Speakers (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2861066)

myaimisme 12-03-2012 03:45 PM

Spanish Speakers

I've played about 3 games in a row now with teammates who only speak spanish, and all 3 of these matches resulted in losses. A major factor in these losses was the difference in language. I sensed my teammates were giving me feedback as well as I to them; however, you can only do so much through text.

It has gotten to the point where I can no longer play a random public game because there is a huge chance I might have to team up with four non-english speaking players, which is equivalent to a loss, 'a wasted 45 minutes loss'. Imagine having a conversation face-to-face with a foreigner who doesn't know how to speak your language. It isn't very fun. In fact, it is extremely tiresome just to get through a sentence. Now imagine forcing yourself to do so for 45 minutes (since you can't really leave a game or you'll be punished) and strictly through text, which means no hand motions or facial expressions (two of which are very important in communication). It is extremely challenging even if both of you are given a topic/common interest to talk about, in this case League of Legends.

A specific language shouldn't be a requirement to play League of Legends. So we should have separate servers for different groups. In the log-in screen, we could display multiple servers (based on language and location) for the user to choose, and based on the choice we could send him to a specific server. In addition, any language other than the chosen will be censored from the chat and excessive use of the language will result in punishment. I understand some players may want to play in a different server for whatever reason. To these players, unfortunately, we can only ask them not to chat. Since majority of the server won't understand what the player is saying, the texts act as mere spam of letters/symbols, which will only cause distraction.

Note: The given example is just one of many options. Although it may seem a bit cruel, being forced to play with others who don't speak the same language as you is just as cruel. This problem must be fixed.

Also, I understand this issue has been brought up many times, but that is because it is such a crucial aspect to the game.

Vesuvias 12-03-2012 04:15 PM

I would much prefer a matchmaking system based on language ability.

You could even test the language:

(Random question of one of the following)
If you can read this, check the affirmative: yes / no
Communication is important when playing LoL: yes / no
I want to violate the summoners code: yes / no

(repeat in other languages)

If they check the appropriate one, we know that they speak the language and can match them with people who also speak the language.

We can then add a report feature that would remove a language from a player being matched with other people without answering a new question. (3+ reports in a week means they have to answer a new question to confirm fluency)

I think this is a great idea, especially for people like me who are from Texas, live in South Korea, and can speak English and Spanish.

Ramlock 12-05-2012 01:04 PM

So basically, if your team doesnt speak english, u always lose?

im kinda tired of "Americans" that blame their defeats to "foreigner" which in most cases speak spanish, most of the time blaming their teams with racism

but i agree with the fact, that the game should identify your native language and country
this could make the matchmaking system more efficient

KaraKuroness 12-05-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramlock (Hozzászólás 32123412)
So basically, if your team doesnt speak english, u always lose?

im kinda tired of "Americans" that blame their defeats to "foreigner" which in most cases speak spanish, most of the time blaming their teams with racism

but i agree with the fact, that the game should identify your native language and country
this could make the matchmaking system more efficient

Obviously this individual has never been placed in a team of four Brazilians who all, and I repeat ALL lost their lanes because they didn't understand why you were pinging.

Honestly, BR's are my biggest problem when queuing for either ranked OR normal. I feel your pain, Myai and Vesu.

In fact, if I knew we didn't have a large difference in our timezones I would say let's play and avoid the people who don't speak English.

As for you, Ramlock, I am largely against segregation in most forms, but I think LoL is an exception that needs to be made. There's a reason there are national servers. People should use them and gtfo ours.