League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   PVP.net Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Honor System (problem) (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2860656)

FuriousDonut 12-03-2012 01:17 PM

Honor System (problem)

I've encountered several players who either abused the honor system or have acted in a way that was not appropriate for the commendations they received. For example, a player in a recent game had an Honorable Opponent ribbon, but insulted our weaker team members and refused to cooperate (during summoner selection, I had selected a character to play in the jungle but did not lock-in in case of team composition problems, at which point he locked-in as a jungler and said something to the effect of, "sucks to be you," forcing me to do something else). These aren't really major enough issues that I would report someone over them, but they are still issues that do not reflect that this player is honorable.

What I would like to see is a counter to the honor system. There is no way to submit a complaint with whether or not someone has truly been friendly, a good team member, or an honorable opponent. I understand I can always report rude players, but sometimes the behavior does not necessarily warrant filling out a report and falls in some sort of grey area of "bad, but not bad enough." I know it's a new system and still has to be worked out, but in the event that the honor system is actually used to mean something, it would be a shame for players to abuse this otherwise solid mechanic and be rewarded.

(this was submitted as feedback to the the support page; I was just reposting here)

owlmazing 12-04-2012 04:00 PM

A counter to the honor system? That's what reporting is for. You can't pass judgement on other people's honoring choices, lest the meaning of honor become pointless. Honor-begging however should be reportable if it isn't already. The honor system has no actual effect on game-play, so it only means something when a player giving or receiving honor knows that it does. Honoring is only worth in how much one values it, and that can't be regulated or countered. Nor should it.

FuriousDonut 12-04-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by owlmazing (Hozzászólás 32090519)
A counter to the honor system? That's what reporting is for. You can't pass judgement on other people's honoring choices, lest the meaning of honor become pointless. Honor-begging however should be reportable if it isn't already. The honor system has no actual effect on game-play, so it only means something when a player giving or receiving honor knows that it does. Honoring is only worth in how much one values it, and that can't be regulated or countered. Nor should it.

Well, like I said, I'm not going to report someone for something taking jungle when I had wanted it and already chosen/called it because that's kind of trivial (I admit that I'm splitting hairs here, and maybe my complaint itself is trivial). But for that person to be deemed "honorable" with a ribbon seems unfair. I'd like to have a method or way of addressing that. And maybe I can't pass judgment, but maybe if enough complaints were to be filed someone else would be able to and that person would lose their titles or something.

I said it up there, but I'm very aware that the honor system means nothing. However, if one day it actually holds some kind of weight, I'd like these things to be considered.

owlmazing 12-04-2012 04:53 PM

I think the honor system not holding in-game weight is what gives it value and makes honor-begging/trolling for honor pointless. And I believe the honorable opponent ribbon disappears either with time or when the games played recently without being honored by the opposing team outweighs honor-less games by some degree. This sort-of ensures that only consistently honored players maintain the ribbon. If honor were to have an in-game weight, I agree that it should be regulated, though in that case it wouldn't be honor as we know it now and therefore it is probably best that honor remains in its present player-controlled state as long as it is weightless.

Beaumains 12-06-2012 10:58 PM

Actually you can report them, but must do so carefully. If someone has a Friendly Honor Ribbon, and are decidedly unfriendly as a matter of course, then their honor is suspect, and could be the result of honor trading, which is reportable (as spamming). Same thing goes for Teamwork and Honorable Opponent, and even Helpful.

However, lack of the recognized attribute should not be construed as its absence. If someone has a red ribbon and doesn't "GG" at the end, you shouldn't report them for that; not every honorable player is 100% consistent. But if they have a red ribbon and they end with "ez game nubs", that's clearly not in line with being an Honorable Opponent, and you might consider reporting them for honor trading. Also note that deficiency in one type of honor does not negate the veracity of another type. For example a player could excel at Teamwork and still be unfriendly, so only consider this if they're displaying qualities that directly contrast their award.

Honor may not have readily tangible benefits right now, though Reds have hinted at the possibility of future tangible rewards, but that doesn't mean it's meaningless or totally subjective. It at least shows a certain respectability which should niether be taken lightly, nor falsely traded.