League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   PVP.net Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Petition to Remove Adobe AIR (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2859920)

Vesuvias 12-03-2012 07:37 AM

Petition to Remove Adobe AIR

Dear Riot, and Fellow summoners,

I am writing to you today to request support for the removal of Adobe AIR from the PVP.net client. There have been MANY complaints, groans, and all around problems within the last few months with it, and this would be something that Riot and the community could write off if it was an isolated incident, but it is not. Adobe AIR has been a constant pain for many summoners, and it doesn’t seem to be getting any better.

Why now? Well, there are some recent developments that would make this an ideal time to make the switch. One of the most notable is that you already have to make changes due to the adoption and pains of Windows8, but not to be over looked is the recent push from developers like Valve to work towards adopting Linux as a legitimate OS. Many of your competitors will soon either be capable of running on Linux natively, or through Wine. And then there is Mac, which could likely run LoL if it were not for one big hurdle.

So what keeps people from being able to enjoy LoL while running other operating systems? Adobe AIR. It is not only a major hurdle, it seems to be the ONLY problem that seems to consistently block any attempt to enjoy LoL on another OS.

While I enjoy LoL on a Windows7 machine, I would appreciate the ability to run it in Linux, but that is not what prompted me to write this request. In the same evening that I am writing this, I experienced what has become a long running problem: When I finish a game, it takes approximately 3-5 minutes for the game to exit and PVP.net to load the end of game results and then a popup talking about deleting task log comes up. What causes this hang? The same thing that also seems to cause it to hank when switching from PVP.net to the game client: Adobe AIR. It isn’t game breaking; it is simply an annoyance that has not been corrected by any “improvements” in the last year since it started. My computer now boots faster than Adobe AIR lets me exit a game.

If you are a summoner, and also would like Riot to abandon Adobe AIR: Please like this post, and respond with support.

If you are a Riot employee: Please work to end the use of Adobe AIR.

Sincerely
-A guy who used to talk to some of you Riot staffers on AIM and Bnet regularly, and former member of MaP

Teh March Hare 12-03-2012 12:29 PM

Yup. If Riot can afford to give 5million a year towards tourney money, they can afford to hire some programmers that know how to use a real programming language that can deliver a client that won't crash me out of ranked games and make me have to wait an hour. Minus the connectivity stuff that adobe air probably does for them, building the thing itself isnt even a big deal. I could probably write a functioning clone of the UI as it is now by myself that didn't crash every couple hours.

Sure it was fine years ago when they wanted to get their product out quickly to get the fan base, but at this point, its really inexcusable.

Call Me Senpai 12-05-2012 09:47 AM

bump

PatriotBob 12-07-2012 03:52 PM

It really is a shame that this isn't taken more seriously. Adobe AIR was a terrible technology to begin with, and can be chalked up with other idea's like Adobe Flex. It really should be replaced and as stated, writing a cross-platform application to replace it is not exactly complex.

People can yell "Why game on Linux/Mac? Game on Windows." all day long. But the long and short of it is that the only reason Linux and Mac don't have are larger market share than they do is for the singular fact that there's a lack of native applications, namely games. People would be far more accepting of Linux if I could just install some off-the-shelf game on it and go. But until developers pull their head out of the sand and realize the more of the world runs on not-Windows than they care to admit, they're doing the world a disservice.

Vesuvias 12-08-2012 12:16 PM

With companies like valve betting big on things like media center computers,
http://kotaku.com/5966860/kotaku.com...h-out-consoles

and LoL not being a very technical specs dependent game, there is really no reason that Riot should be looking to avoid new markets / platforms.

From everything I can read / research, this ONE part (granted it is a big part) of Riots game is keeping it from being played on Linux / Mac.

Why Riot? Why?!

Nightwhite3 12-08-2012 03:52 PM

This needs to happen, I'm tired of having to close out my game because Adobe AIR isn't responding.

Vesuvias 12-09-2012 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MxGDoctor (Hozzászólás 32228382)
This needs to happen, I'm tired of having to close out my game because Adobe AIR isn't responding.

A problem that I have encountered, but not often. I have read many posts that say something similar though.

Vesuvias 12-23-2012 05:08 AM

Riot, this is happening. Now.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/20/st...e-it-a-go-now/

Please support us Linux users. I have spent I don't know how much money supporting your business model. I am really going to miss you.