League of Legends Community
12

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Lore Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Do us ALL a favor. (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2852026)

Brian Wildblade 11-30-2012 04:59 PM

Do us ALL a favor.
 
Seriously, the lore of a champion isn't a piece of text, it's an ARTWORK.

If you're going to try and waste the time of those of us who actually care about it and actually read some HUGE pieces of **** every now and then, don't.

I think that I speak for many when I say that the last lores have been incredibly downgrading.

Zed's involvement with Shen is so minimal that it's not even funny. Besides, Why would you just slap a sudden ninja who's gotten rid of Shen's master like that? Just seriously think of a better way to put him into the League.

This leads me to my first problem: THERE IS NOTHING WORSE THAN RANDOM ENTRIES.

If you're going to tie characters around, at least make sure that they work well with each other, because there two friendly lores which get me on my nerves whenever I think about them: Singed and Warwick - They have NO SYNERGY other than their lockdown with Fling + Infinite Duress, even if it's interesting, why would Singed and warwick even work like that in actual Runeterra? Next one: Shyvana and Garen - If the two *******s are loyal to Demacia, I want to know why (in the name of god) their lores don't have ANY SORT OF RELATIONSHIP. Ingame, they work sort of nicely because of the several types of initiation you can come up with, but their lore NEEDS IMPROVEMENT.

Ashe always was a champion I had trouble with, because her own lore is perfect, but ANYONE who's linked with her seems to have a problem:
Tryndamere - "I like Ashe's ideals... I'll just marry her" Nuff said.
Anivia - "I like Ashe's ideals... I'll just help her" Anivia is lost on a new world, but that doesn't matter, she's a Phoenix, she doesn't negotiate, she rules where she wants.
Sejuani - "Ashe has to be joking with that peace stuff, I'll fight her" When this ***** has the best Synergy with Ashe ingame, you just can't be serious.
Volibear - "I have to protect my species, war won't help, Ashe is right, I'll help her" Holy mother of god. HE IS A BEAR IN ARMOR, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, IF HIS WHOLE RACE WANTED TO THEY'D TAKE OVER FREJLORD!!!!

Another problem that I have is that somehow, the characters may or may not have their lore inserted into their skills:

Fizz's E = Playful / Trickster

Fits the lore! This one made my quite happy because it was good material, besides, playing Fizz means you have to be the nasty type of person, play pranks with you shark and all.

Amumu = Tantrum

Who said that he was a spoiled 3 years old kid?

Talon = Rake

Fits perfectly, nuff said. This skill makes an allusion to his name as well as to it's flow, which reminds me of his judgement, in which he moved past the league's emissaries in the blink of an eye.

Riven = Blade of the Exile.

The only skill that has a perfect impact if you ask me. It both creates the allusion of what is her reality as well as bringing a steroid that matches the skill's name. THIS IS a great way to make the gameplay reflect the character.

Jarvan IV = Demacian Standart

God, why do you have to be SO ROYAL-BLOODED!!! Holy christ, this is such a bad way to insert the gameplay into lore, man... What's worse, you can't even slap that thing down as an enemy.

__________________________________________________ __

Fair enough, if you think that the lores are fine the way they are, feel free to flame me, but it's my personal belief that Riot hasn't focused their job on such a crucial part of the game: it's story.

Methelod 11-30-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Wildblade (Hozzászólás 31962534)
Seriously, the lore of a champion isn't a piece of text, it's an ARTWORK.

If you're going to try and waste the time of those of us who actually care about it and actually read some HUGE pieces of **** every now and then, don't.

I think that I speak for many when I say that the last lores have been incredibly downgrading.

Fairly inflammatory way of writing this. Yes, the lore quality has been going down hill but not that fast.

Quote:

Zed's involvement with Shen is so minimal that it's not even funny. Besides, Why would you just slap a sudden ninja who's gotten rid of Shen's master like that? Just seriously think of a better way to put him into the League.

This leads me to my first problem: THERE IS NOTHING WORSE THAN RANDOM ENTRIES.
Zed's lore was a bit odd due to the plotholes, not really the lack of involvement with Shen. And a lot of the earlier lore felt as random as the present entries.

Quote:

If you're going to tie characters around, at least make sure that they work well with each other, because there two friendly lores which get me on my nerves whenever I think about them: Singed and Warwick - They have NO SYNERGY other than their lockdown with Fling + Infinite Duress, even if it's interesting, why would Singed and warwick even work like that in actual Runeterra? Next one: Shyvana and Garen - If the two *******s are loyal to Demacia, I want to know why (in the name of god) their lores don't have ANY SORT OF RELATIONSHIP. Ingame, they work sort of nicely because of the several types of initiation you can come up with, but their lore NEEDS IMPROVEMENT.
Uhm, what? This makes no sense. Lore doesn't always equate synergy. In any form. They were friends. And not all Demacians will know each other or personally interact with them. That's like asking why Galio doesn't personally know J4. So far your suggestions seem a bit silly.

Quote:

Ashe always was a champion I had trouble with, because her own lore is perfect, but ANYONE who's linked with her seems to have a problem:
Tryndamere - "I like Ashe's ideals... I'll just marry her" Nuff said.
Anivia - "I like Ashe's ideals... I'll just help her" Anivia is lost on a new world, but that doesn't matter, she's a Phoenix, she doesn't negotiate, she rules where she wants.
Sejuani - "Ashe has to be joking with that peace stuff, I'll fight her" When this ***** has the best Synergy with Ashe ingame, you just can't be serious.
Volibear - "I have to protect my species, war won't help, Ashe is right, I'll help her" Holy mother of god. HE IS A BEAR IN ARMOR, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, IF HIS WHOLE RACE WANTED TO THEY'D TAKE OVER FREJLORD!!!!
Tryndamere-"We need to unite our people. I'll marry her." Not sure on the others. Honestly, I'm fairly sure that at this point you are trolling.

Quote:

Another problem that I have is that somehow, the characters may or may not have their lore inserted into their skills:

Fizz's E = Playful / Trickster

Fits the lore! This one made my quite happy because it was good material, besides, playing Fizz means you have to be the nasty type of person, play pranks with you shark and all.

Amumu = Tantrum

Who said that he was a spoiled 3 years old kid?

Talon = Rake

Fits perfectly, nuff said. This skill makes an allusion to his name as well as to it's flow, which reminds me of his judgement, in which he moved past the league's emissaries in the blink of an eye.

Riven = Blade of the Exile.

The only skill that has a perfect impact if you ask me. It both creates the allusion of what is her reality as well as bringing a steroid that matches the skill's name. THIS IS a great way to make the gameplay reflect the character.

Jarvan IV = Demacian Standart

God, why do you have to be SO ROYAL-BLOODED!!! Holy christ, this is such a bad way to insert the gameplay into lore, man... What's worse, you can't even slap that thing down as an enemy.

__________________________________________________ __

Fair enough, if you think that the lores are fine the way they are, feel free to flame me, but it's my personal belief that Riot hasn't focused their job on such a crucial part of the game: it's story.
Sigh. I'm fairly sure that you are trolling. Good day.

HerbaNoctis 11-30-2012 05:13 PM

And then you go play TT as a Shadow Isles champion and realize that they've put more lore into there than anywhere else lately. They've stopped explicitly explaining why champions join the league because they felt that they were setting the character too much in one place.
Let's not get off the subject though. Yes, a good deal of the lore in the game is a bit weak. Yes, there's been markedly less lore lately besides the Shadow Isles. But your complaints seem to ignore the actual purpose of the league which is to rep for your hood.

Brian Wildblade 11-30-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methelod (Hozzászólás 31962940)
Sigh. I'm fairly sure that you are trolling. Good day.

Think as you will, I'm not joking, certain champions have their gameplay based on their lore much more than others do.

You don't see, for example, why would Nunu and Willump be able to throw snowballs with such efficiency to slow people and all, whereas the lore allows for Kassadin to have his ultimate as a source of teleportation.

If you still think that I'm trolling, prove it better.

Vuther 11-30-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Wildblade (Hozzászólás 31963354)
Think as you will, I'm not joking, certain champions have their gameplay based on their lore much more than others do.

You don't see, for example, why would Nunu and Willump be able to throw snowballs with such efficiency to slow people and all, whereas the lore allows for Kassadin to have his ultimate as a source of teleportation.

If you still think that I'm trolling, prove it better.

For the same reason Talon's ultimate makes a bunch of blades circle out from him, render him faster and invisible, and then return to him.

IT'S A GAME!

Brian Wildblade 11-30-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vuther (Hozzászólás 31966270)

IT'S A GAME!

Thing is, A game isn't a piece of random info put together, you have to follow a pattern, in LoL's case, there is no such thing as logic, someone can be the most powerful swordsman on Noxus, they'd still be able to lose lanes like if it was cheese, be unable to gank, etc...

I'm pointing out that there is not enough lore involvement on the overall game.

Vuther 11-30-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Wildblade (Hozzászólás 31969169)
Thing is, A game isn't a piece of random info put together, you have to follow a pattern, in LoL's case, there is no such thing as logic, someone can be the most powerful swordsman on Noxus, they'd still be able to lose lanes like if it was cheese, be unable to gank, etc...

I'm pointing out that there is not enough lore involvement on the overall game.

The game does have a pattern - attempts to make something fun.

This is not a wholly uncommon pattern in games, no matter what background material they may have (such as Halo, which contains an enormous expanded universe and is still a run-and-gun first-person shooter where your allies walk about outside of cover waiting to get shot).

Gameplay and story integration is very nice and should be extolled. But it is difficult for the gameplay to be very varied and deep if any adheres to it absolutely rigidly - if any does, you can be sure it will take them a long time to do it, certainly longer than every two weeks.

SrWim 12-01-2012 01:39 AM

Could make things more interesting.

Melancholy Exile 12-01-2012 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Wildblade (Hozzászólás 31962534)
Next one: Shyvana and Garen - If the two *******s are loyal to Demacia, I want to know why (in the name of god) their lores don't have ANY SORT OF RELATIONSHIP. Ingame, they work sort of nicely because of the several types of initiation you can come up with, but their lore NEEDS IMPROVEMENT.

I'm honestly not sure what you're suggesting here. I understand that Garen is, in many ways, the iconic Demacian figure but he also isn't the only Demacian in the League. Shyvana's principle relationship is with Jarvan and her lore focuses on them, rather than involving another character who played no real part in bringing her to the Institute. This really makes about as much sense as complaining that Lux didn't appear in her background.

Shyvana and Garen don't exactly see eye-to-eye anyway. To quote RiotRunaan:

"Garen ... finds Shyvana to lack the principles that truly make a Demacian warrior. He values discipline and self-control, and in his mind, Shyvana exemplifies none of this. He'll fight beside her, but he may disapprove of her methods".


Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Wildblade (Hozzászólás 31962534)
Ashe always was a champion I had trouble with, because her own lore is perfect, but ANYONE who's linked with her seems to have a problem:
Tryndamere - "I like Ashe's ideals... I'll just marry her" Nuff said.
Anivia - "I like Ashe's ideals... I'll just help her" Anivia is lost on a new world, but that doesn't matter, she's a Phoenix, she doesn't negotiate, she rules where she wants.
Sejuani - "Ashe has to be joking with that peace stuff, I'll fight her" When this ***** has the best Synergy with Ashe ingame, you just can't be serious.
Volibear - "I have to protect my species, war won't help, Ashe is right, I'll help her" Holy mother of god. HE IS A BEAR IN ARMOR, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, IF HIS WHOLE RACE WANTED TO THEY'D TAKE OVER FREJLORD!!!!

Trydamere's lore, in the utterly literal sense, has absolutely nothing to do with his marriage. Said marriage though was born, in no small part, because both parties desired the protection and stability offered by becoming an Institute protectorate. Their union served to legitimise Freljord on the political stage and paid dividends for both of them. I'm honestly not sure what the "problem" is here.

Anivia is a spirit of elemental balance and most certainly does negotiate with others. You're really just forcing your own ideas about who the character should be, rather than actually using the information Riot has given us.

Of course Sejuani has great synergy with Ashe: They're both descendants of the same bloodline. If I was being particularly generous, and I really don't feel this way, I'd even suggest that you could take that as an element of satire about how well the two of them could work together, if only they would put aside their quarrel.

As for Volibear, we have no idea how many ursine there are, how well matched they would be in any actual war or what the prophesy he saw was pertaining to. Again, you're just saying "This should work this way" without any regard for the way the developers have chosen to play their hand. Why would they want to take over Freljord?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Wildblade (Hozzászólás 31969169)
Thing is, A game isn't a piece of random info put together, you have to follow a pattern, in LoL's case, there is no such thing as logic, someone can be the most powerful swordsman on Noxus, they'd still be able to lose lanes like if it was cheese, be unable to gank, etc...

I'm pointing out that there is not enough lore involvement on the overall game.

If you want to approach this from an utterly lore-friendly angle: That'd be the summoner's fault, wouldn't it?

I'm also not sure what your point is here. Combat in the League is far from a truly fair fight and features characters with a huge range of esoteric skills and disciplines. Why would a mere master swordsman, of only one city-state, be anything exceptional?

Dracorya 12-01-2012 11:44 AM

All I'm getting is you're skimming over a lot of available information and are just rambling for the sake of rage.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:05 AM.
12


(c) 2008 Riot Games Inc