League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Dominion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Clearing up the Ranked issue (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2852006)

Redeemed In Fire 11-30-2012 05:51 PM

Clearing up the Ranked issue
 
Quote:

RiotNome: when brackhar says infrastructure
RiotNome: it means if we devoted a week or two's time off the current projects, it's doable
RiotNome: that doesn't sound like much time
RiotNome: but it's actually a lot of time
RiotNome: because of the number of people involved
RiotNome: and how important their own projects are
RiotNome: the real answer comes down to a low population, so it's difficult to justify from a production standpoint to dedicate those resources
[from DD chat]

Ranked isn't that easy, and it isn't going to help that much. So please, don't act like its the OMG SAVIOR OF EVERYTHING DOM RELATED. =p

bierfaust 11-30-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCIX (Hozzászólás 31962424)
[from DD chat]

Ranked isn't that easy, and it isn't going to help that much. So please, don't act like its the OMG SAVIOR OF EVERYTHING DOM RELATED. =p


Actually ranked will make the majority of the playerbase happier, simply because it removes blind picking, allows countering picking, limits 1 Champion per game (instead of double ups) and gives those that actually take it seriously a way to avoid queuing with the SR scum that muck around and potentially ruin the game for 9 other people. (Because nobody, even the winning team, likes a heavily 1 sided match)

Not to mention they gave TT ranked, and that was a complete joke before, is even worse now (amount of viable champs has shrunk even further) and it's in BETA. I mean that right there is WTF.

No, ranked might not automatically make DOM fixed, but it will make the playerbase happier, and what's wrong with that?

Also, they could just remove blindpick and make it draft pick only, Id be happy if they at least did that.

Redeemed In Fire 11-30-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bierfaust (Hozzászólás 31962598)
Actually ranked will make the majority of the playerbase happier, simply because it removes blind picking, allows countering picking, limits 1 Champion per game (instead of double ups) and gives those that actually take it seriously a way to avoid queuing with the SR scum that muck around and potentially ruin the game for 9 other people. (Because nobody, even the winning team, likes a heavily 1 sided match)

Not to mention they gave TT ranked, and that was a complete joke before, is even worse now (amount of viable champs has shrunk even further) and it's in BETA. I mean that right there is WTF.

No, ranked might not automatically make DOM fixed, but it will make the playerbase happier, and what's wrong with that?

Also, they could just remove blindpick and make it draft pick only, Id be happy if they at least did that.

See:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotNome (Hozzászólás 31421272)
And what changes are those?

What's your plan to stop Dominion from hemorrhaging players? What fixes can we do that addresses the concerns of the top 0.001% of the Dominion community that will fix the perception issues of the 99.99%?? What would you suggest we do to convince everyone that's quit on Dominion to come back? How do we message to players that Shaco isn't the best champ on Dominion? How do we address the complaint that a lot of players have of the lack of progression? The lack of game phases? The lack of differentiation from game to game? You focus on Blackfire Torch, but among the sea of real problems that Dominion has, that really should be barely a consideration. It's imba. OK, we nerf it next patch. Hell, I already did.

These aren't buzzwords. This is the reality of Dominion. We're in do-or-die mode. If you really love Dominion, then subscribe yourself to the program and dig down deep. The rug's going to be pulled out from beneath your feet over and over again, and you'll have to get used to that.


bierfaust 11-30-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCIX (Hozzászólás 31962907)
See:


Already read the post ages ago, and spent a good while arguing with him about the point. He still failed to provide any evidence that it would be a bad thing for the game mode as a whole.

In fact, nobody has provided any evidence at all as to ranked causing any harm to DOM at all. All this **** about "you're a minority" "0.0001 %" blah blah blah, completely ignoring the fact that regardless of how many or how few (in relative terms) people want it, doesn't make it any less valid.

Adding Ranked in the interim while they address the issues of losing players, attracting new players, etc. would make the CURRENT playerbase happier. And the rate they are going with the stupid items changes and lack of balance adjustments to map issues so far, this would be a wise thing to do before they start losing the people that have been playing DOM since day 1.

Just because most people prefer deathmatch, doesn't mean you can't have a server hosting CTF or King of the Hill.

Lindre 11-30-2012 06:53 PM

"RiotNome: the real answer comes down to a low population, so it's difficult to justify from a production standpoint to dedicate those resources"

This is the main reason right here.

Also people on this forum need to stop thinking that the addition of ranked will be a panacea to all of Dominion's woes and flaws. It isn't, it won't be. It's not even remotely close to ever being that.

Is it a sad truth? Yes. Is it a bitter pill to swallow? Yes. Does it royally suck? Hell yes. But the fact is, it's the truth.

Nome makes some really strong points that are true, and some people just don't seem willing or able to take off the rose-colored glasses and accept it for what it is.

He's doing what he can, but realistically, he can't really do that much because of things that are out of his control. Mostly in terms of resources, manpower, and time. He's probably heavily restricted in that because of Dominion's small playerbase. At least at the current time. Remember, he's only one guy who can only do so much. It's rather unfair and unrealistic to him to tout him as the Jesus of Dominion that's going to solve any and all of Dominion's issues.

bierfaust 11-30-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindre (Hozzászólás 31964443)
"RiotNome: the real answer comes down to a low population, so it's difficult to justify from a production standpoint to dedicate those resources"

This is the main reason right here.

Also people on this forum need to stop thinking that the addition of ranked will be a panacea to all of Dominion's woes and flaws. It isn't, it won't be. It's not even remotely close to ever being that.

Is it a sad truth? Yes. Is it a bitter pill to swallow? Yes. Does it royally suck? Hell yes. But the fact is, it's the truth.

Nome makes some really strong points that are true, and some people just don't seem willing or able to take off the rose-colored glasses and accept it for what it is.

He's doing what he can, but realistically, he can't really do that much because of things that are out of his control. Mostly in terms of resources, manpower, and time. He's probably heavily restricted in that because of Dominion's small playerbase. At least at the current time. Remember, he's only one guy who can only do so much. It's rather unfair and unrealistic to him to tout him as the Jesus of Dominion that's going to solve any and all of Dominion's issues.


Once again, nobody has brought up a valid point to NOT have ranked. It will do nothing harmful to the game as a whole and will only make the current playerbase happy.

Why not start with that, and while people that already do play enjoy a competitive environment without people ruining it for them, then look at addressing the issues such as attracting new players.

Redeemed In Fire 11-30-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bierfaust (Hozzászólás 31965065)
Once again, nobody has brought up a valid point to NOT have ranked. It will do nothing harmful to the game as a whole and will only make the current playerbase happy.

Why not start with that, and while people that already do play enjoy a competitive environment without people ruining it for them, then look at addressing the issues such as attracting new players.

Quote:

RiotNome: the real answer comes down to a low population, so it's difficult to justify from a production standpoint to dedicate those resources
^

bierfaust 11-30-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCIX (Hozzászólás 31965209)
^

Still not a valid point, there are almost no resources involved. After initial setup of a the virtual server, there's an extra 10 mins on the weekly maintenance. Regardless of whether they put ranked in now or in 6 months time doesn't matter. Cost to run a virtual server is next to nothing.

Pretty weak arse excuse once again. Not surprising though.

Redeemed In Fire 11-30-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bierfaust (Hozzászólás 31965302)
Still not a valid point, there are almost no resources involved. After initial setup of a the virtual server, there's an extra 10 mins on the weekly maintenance. Regardless of whether they put ranked in now or in 6 months time doesn't matter. Cost to run a virtual server is next to nothing.

Pretty weak arse excuse once again. Not surprising though.

TIL bierfaust is a stealth Riot employee

bierfaust 11-30-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCIX (Hozzászólás 31965471)
TIL bierfaust is a stealth Riot employee


No, just more than enough experience in the IT industry that I know for a fact that virtual server maintenance is cheap as chips. Not to mention as for setup time, they would have images of all server builds kept somewhere, so it take half a day at most to setup the base and then a couple of days to populate the databases with the necessary information for DOM.

T.T what is educated?

And still nobody seems to be able to address why TT has ranked, when even the people that play it consider it a complete mess due to the item and map rework.

And yet all we are asking for is a separate queue where we can play with like minded people that want to play to win.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:18 PM.


(c) 2008 Riot Games Inc