League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Summoner's Rift (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   AFK and Rank ELO. (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2851719)

Akr 11-30-2012 03:17 PM

AFK and Rank ELO.

1 Attachment(s)
Hello. I normally don't complain much. I try the best I can in every game. I do not consider myself the best. I am what you would call your average player. But allow my to point something out I believe a lot of us deal with.

I just played 4 Solo/Duo Rank games and the results were bad. 1 win 3 losses. 2 out of the 3 losses could have been avoided if not for AFK-ers.
I understand that people have connection issues. Its happened to me a time or 2. But lets put this into perspective:
I've been playing since 2010, going on for 2 and a half years. I've probably disconected maybe 20 times over that course given I've played rounding about 900-1000 games (no I don't play as often as others) that gives me a Disconnection Rate (DR) of 2%. And I live in the middle of the forest were the best internet I get is DSL.
There is something that has to be done here. Here is a brief recap of my last 4 games:
  • Rank Defeat Taric 1/7/5 = Legitimate defeat, we got outplayed bot. No excuses
  • Rank Defeat Sona 4/6/3 = ADC Had horrible ping which led him to DC. He was gone for the major part of the first 25 minutes of game play. By the time he came back it was too late.
  • Rank Win Taric 1/1/6 = No AFK,DC's,Good ping, and no trolls. Hey look at that we won...surprising? I don't think so.
  • Rank Defeat Wukong 1/5/2 = AFK Jungler, popped in, then popped out. Never left platform.

I am positive that many players, especially those in what is know as "ELO Hell" (pretty much anything under 1100), Have very similar stories. There has to be something we can do about it. Yes we can report them all day and they can get banned but we still lost the ELO. Digging ourselves deeper in a hole almost impossible to come out of. This has got to change. It is discouraging and even makes me not want to play at times. This AFK epidemic seems to prevail in low ELO because if my memory serves me right, in season 2, I rarely got AFK'ers in the 1100-1200 ELO bracket.

I'm not the best player by any stretch of the imagination. But I believe we all deserve a chance to play at our best and not suffer the consequences of the ignorance or wrath of others.

My Suggested Solution:
A very simple solution. Reduce the ELO lost when a Leaver is involved. I know you guys have systems in place to track AFK-ers/Leavers. Use it to determine the ELO loss.
My last loss took away 32 ELO, say there was an AKR-er, reduce the ELO by half to 16. That way someone who say sits in the 1100 range would lose only 48 ELO over 3 losses due to AFK-ers rather than losing 96 ELO. You don't have to abide by that number but it would help to know that something is being done to help correct the wrong.
As for the AFK-er/Leaver. If being banned is not enough, put in consequences like if you force quit i.e. going threw the menu option, you lose 50 ELO automatically or something along those lines, and impose a dodge timer as well. Or if you DC more than 3 times in less than 10 games you'll get a dodge timer and reduce ELO by 25 or something.
You guys managed to control ranked QUE dodging by increasing the timer. It gives place to trolls trying to get someone else to dodge but overall it has helped. You also took care of communication lapse because of people connecting by not putting them in to the champion select until everyone has connected. Perhaps instituting something like this may curve even further to better games and more sportsmanlike conduct.

Well I'll climb off my soapbox for now. Here is to hoping someone cares.

PogoPogoPogoPogo 11-30-2012 03:33 PM

Are you also suggesting that they reduce the amount of Elo you gain when the enemy has an AFK/Leave/Disconnecet/Idle?

adc 11-30-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo (Hozzászólás 31960125)
Are you also suggesting that they reduce the amount of Elo you gain when the enemy has an AFK/Leave/Disconnecet/Idle?

You know, as simple as it is... This is a damn good idea. Give me 5 Elo for beating a team of 4 players. That wasn't really a fair win. At the same time, only make me lose 5 Elo for losing in a 4v5. But then there'll be that guy who troll and leaves every game to make the enemies gain slowly.

And again, the same problem of the losing team harassing a player out of the game for "the good of the team" crops up.

Hmm.

PogoPogoPogoPogo 11-30-2012 03:53 PM

Yea, there's still the problem with this that Riot cites regarding harassing teammates out of obvious losses to prevent your team from losing Elo (or in this case, a lesser Elo loss), and I'm not really sure how to get around that.

BUT, the fact of the matter remains, people leave games. People leave games on both teams. If it's an unfair loss when a teammate leaves, then it's an unfair win when an opponent leaves. And if you want a system that gives you a reduced Elo loss for these unfair losses, then it's only fair that you're also rewarded less Elo gain for your unfair wins.

Akr 12-01-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo (Hozzászólás 31960667)
Yea, there's still the problem with this that Riot cites regarding harassing teammates out of obvious losses to prevent your team from losing Elo (or in this case, a lesser Elo loss), and I'm not really sure how to get around that.

BUT, the fact of the matter remains, people leave games. People leave games on both teams. If it's an unfair loss when a teammate leaves, then it's an unfair win when an opponent leaves. And if you want a system that gives you a reduced Elo loss for these unfair losses, then it's only fair that you're also rewarded less Elo gain for your unfair wins.

Thanks for responding guys, and it is an option to work both ways, but I am not sure if it would work in the other direction. Simply being what if the AFK-er team won? Being they had to overcome a one-man down scenario should they be compensated more for the win? Sadly even my solution is also flawed but I still believe it would be a step in the right direction. Its open to improvements.

Akr 12-01-2012 05:05 PM

Here goes to trying to keep this thread alive in hopes riot sees it, got into another ranked, with another AFK-er, and another loss...

Akr 12-01-2012 07:23 PM

I'll keep posting here in hopes a Riot sees this. Riot, if your reading this, a simple ok we read it would suffice. At least I know someone heard me.

Aeshura 12-01-2012 07:26 PM

no sage tags... it's a good idea though.

mdiaz28 12-01-2012 07:33 PM

Won't work even though its a nice idea because people would take advantage of it and quit the game if they where losing, or they'd like they said badger someone to quit to not loose so much Elo

Akr 12-02-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdiaz28 (Hozzászólás 31995935)
Won't work even though its a nice idea because people would take advantage of it and quit the game if they where losing, or they'd like they said badger someone to quit to not loose so much Elo

Point taken, didn't really think of the badgering part. I addresses the leaver would get punished with like a 50 elo loss or something but there would be no stopping someone trolling someone else to leave.

Like I stated before, its a suggestion, not a very good one I suppose but a suggestion nonetheless. thanks for the comment.