League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Lore Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Soraka/Warwick's new lore conflicts with Karma's judgement (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2844595)

SoresuMakashi 11-27-2012 11:57 PM

Soraka/Warwick's new lore conflicts with Karma's judgement

I know this is kind of minor, but I've been meaning to make this thread for a while time, and I've finally found the time for it.

Yes, yes I know. Who's Karma, right? Apparently even Riot didn't remember her lore. However, believe it or not, there's actually a small group of devoted fans out there.

Here is an excerpt from Karma' League Judgement:
Quote:

Just as she consigned herself to join those scattered around her, a blinding ray of light descended from the heavens, landing squarely on Warwick. He screamed as his skin melted away. His body contorted, muscles bursting outward. His head and limbs stretched, yanking joints apart and forming new ones. Long claws cut through the tips of his fingers and toes. He wrenched forward, then back, and when the spasms ceased his spine was long and hunched. His high-pitched wail suddenly turned to gravel, and blue hair stabbed out from every pore of his body. He fell to the ground in a heap. The light subsided.

Not far from him, a new form lay in the mud. Karma fought her way to her feet, acid still eating into her, and stumbled to the form. There in front of her laid Soraka, the spiritual icon of her people. The Starchild had lost the celestial radiance which characterized her transcendence. She lay staring upward, her expression vacant.
Of course, this event refers to Soraka and Warwick's old lore, in which Soraka smites Warwick from the heavens, turning him into a werewolf and losing most of her own celestial powers in the process. Of course, since, according to the new lore, this event doesn't happen, Karma's judgement no longer makes sense in this regard.

Just wanted to point it out.

Elite Midget 11-28-2012 12:17 AM

They'll change it... Eventually.

This is why I hate reboots and retakes of established Lore. It's why I don't read DC anymore after they deleted Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown from Tim Drake's history and left them in limbo.

OneSixthIrish 11-28-2012 11:19 AM

Kitae, nor any of the riot creative staff care about the old lore, simple as that.

If you've ever seen LOTR: The Two Towers, then remember this excerpt from Tree beard. (Not quoted flawlessly) "Nobody cares for the woods anymore.... (blah blah) They come with axes, and torches, gnawing, biting, breaking, hacking, burning."
Pretty much how I feel about the current lore direction.

Aurionin 11-28-2012 01:23 PM

Karma's getting a rework, soon. Safe to say she'll get relored as well.

Raburi 11-28-2012 04:20 PM

It's just ridiculous that they even changed WW/Soraka's lore. It was ICONIC in this game. It was part of the turning point of the war, in my opinion. Without Warwick's concoctions they had a chance to fight back on an even playing field. But now? Soraka is an idiot and Warwick tricked her. Childish. I HATE the new lore with a passion but Riot has never answered ANYONE about it. They really don't care.

Aurionin 11-29-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raburi (Hozzászólás 31903149)
It's just ridiculous that they even changed WW/Soraka's lore. It was ICONIC in this game. It was part of the turning point of the war, in my opinion. Without Warwick's concoctions they had a chance to fight back on an even playing field. But now? Soraka is an idiot and Warwick tricked her. Childish. I HATE the new lore with a passion but Riot has never answered ANYONE about it. They really don't care.

Rage more? Anyways, feel free to not like the new lore, but Riot HAS answered several people who asked about it. Just because they didn't answer you, don't assume they didn't answer other people. They said that they changed the lore because it felt like Warwick and Singed filled the same spot in the lore, and that Warwick's lore was completely unrelated to the way he played in-game. They changed the lore to both make his gameplay(chasing injured enemies with you Scent, pouncing on them and ripping them apart with your ult) have a relation to his lore, and to give him his own, unique spot within the history of Valoran, instead of having to share the same position with Singed. Perfectly reasonable explanation. They gave him his own special spot, and they made it so that you actually feel like you're playing the person in the lore.

CabecoteNA 11-29-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurionin (Hozzászólás 31898162)
Karma's getting a rework, soon. Safe to say she'll get relored as well.

^ I hope so

Arcane Azmadi 11-29-2012 07:06 PM

I just realised- there's ANOTHER champion whose lore is tied to Soraka's presence in the Noxus/Ionia conflict- Irelia. When she died fighting, it was Soraka who resurrected her:

Quote:

In the chaos of the ensuing fight, Irelia was cursed with dark Noxian necromancy. As her life ebbed, Soraka, the Starchild, made a final attempt to anchor Irelia’s fading soul. Unwilling to relinquish her home, Irelia rose at the brink of death, and her father’s sword lifted in the air alongside her.
Unless Soraka (who no longer even necessarily comes from Ionia at all) "just so happened" to be in Ionia during the conflict, this will need to be retconned as well. Of course, that's not so much of a stretch as Soraka's new lore emphasises her desire to protect those in need, so it wouldn't be that strange for her to travel to Ionia to fight alongside them during Noxus' invasion. Of course, the whole Warwick thing is still obsolete...

Trazier 11-30-2012 09:07 PM

They don't care about karma and the other supports, you really think they'd give some sixth grader a handful of tootsie rolls to retcon the lore into some new attrocity? I sure don't.

GrandOméga 12-08-2012 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurionin (Hozzászólás 31924992)
They said that they changed the lore because it felt like Warwick and Singed filled the same spot in the lore, and that Warwick's lore was completely unrelated to the way he played in-game. They changed the lore to both make his gameplay(chasing injured enemies with you Scent, pouncing on them and ripping them apart with your ult) have a relation to his lore, and to give him his own, unique spot within the history of Valoran, instead of having to share the same position with Singed. Perfectly reasonable explanation. They gave him his own special spot, and they made it so that you actually feel like you're playing the person in the lore.

Pathetic excuse IMO. The short of it was that he was a tormentor, with Singed being his apprentice, before being cursed and turned into a werewolf. When someone becomes a werewolf and cant control the primal urges, it's obvious what they're gonna be like regardless of their history, as was the case with Warwick's original lore.

Now he's portrayed as a Black Market Dealer who always gets what he's after. That's a pretty big change from being a top alchemist who effectively paved the way for Singed to be who he is now.

Shouldn't be a reason to change things like skins and lore, not even for a new char (eg Diana's Valkyrie skin changed due to similarities with Syndra). Riot are digging themselves into a hole by remaking the lore of champs. Each champ has some link to other champs, as has been pointed out here. Changing Soraka and Warwick's lore has left loose ends with Karma and Singed. Karma witnessing the curse and Singed being Warwick's apprentice on a contract with the Noxian military.