League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Lore Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Mundo lore needs a rework (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2840236)

Farranor 11-26-2012 02:09 PM

Mundo lore needs a rework

Mundo's lore has a plot hole so big that it ruins the story.

"By his teenage years, his parents were nowhere to be found. By the time he had legally acquired his license to practice medicine, he had been acquitted of thirty-eight separate charges of murder by the Zaun authorities; the lack of evidence made prosecution impossible."

Not having enough evidence for a conviction is one thing - that happens all the time, even outside of Runeterra. But the idea that people would do nothing is simply preposterous. Being acquitted means that, although they may not have had concrete proof to tie Mundo to the crimes, he was under frequent, heavy suspicion. What was his attitude to the repeated attention from the authorities, I wonder? Did he display shock at their accusations and disappointment in their lack of faith in his innocence? Or did he rub it in their faces, skirting the thin line between caution and confession?

The scale of his "alleged" crimes makes the reactions of his victims' acquaintances downright anomalous. One murder victim's family may trust the rule of law and accept that the suspected murderer was not convicted. But so many murders, and all perpetrated by the same person? After a while, the whole town should eventually have risen against him (possibly with torch and pitchfork) to exile him or kill him - even just one crazed vigilante would've given the story some grounding. There's a limit to how often people will say, "well, we can't find a murder weapon and he says he was nowhere near the scene of the crime, so we'll let him go as soon as he stops pointing at us and laughing."

That isn't believable.

If nothing else, I would expect there to be a counter-Mundo champ: perhaps someone who lost too many pets and family members to Mundo to abide the incompetence of Zaun's court system and now seeks to execute Mundo for vengeance and justice.

Or just fix the plot hole.

Tim Allen Talon 11-27-2012 07:19 PM

Read his lore, the second paragraph, where it saids the city state of noxus looks at this as a good thing and not inhumanity

Farranor 11-27-2012 07:29 PM

He grew up in Zaun, not Noxus.

WulFoX 11-27-2012 07:47 PM

Ever think that the multiple counts were a family breaking upon his cleaver? As in, he killed one guy, and then a series of people looking for revenge.

Farranor 11-28-2012 12:46 PM

Given that a lot of it happened before he became a muscle-bound mad scientist, that doesn't work either.

Geokhan 11-28-2012 03:32 PM

Mad scientist. Zaun looks approvingly on PROGRESS.

Unofficial motto is 'The ends justify the means'. Mundo does just kill for fun, although it is the primary goal. His kills advance science. Zaun isn't a haven of Justice.

Also as a scientist, you think he isn't ready for things like....mad relatives? He probably has chemicals to stun invaders of his lab and then he can test on them. He's crazy, not stupid.

Farranor 11-28-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geokhan (Hozzászólás 31903485)
Mad scientist. Zaun looks approvingly on PROGRESS.

Unofficial motto is 'The ends justify the means'. Mundo does just kill for fun, although it is the primary goal. His kills advance science. Zaun isn't a haven of Justice.

Also as a scientist, you think he isn't ready for things like....mad relatives? He probably has chemicals to stun invaders of his lab and then he can test on them. He's crazy, not stupid.

Zaun, perhaps. But Zaunites themselves? I'm sorry, but that's just not believable behavior. People care if their pets/children/cousins/etc. are tortured and killed. This isn't only a human phenomenon, either; it's common to almost all life. If individuals in a species don't care if their offspring or other family are killed, the species generally has a worse chance of surviving. Does it make any sense at all for even a Zaunite to say, "oh darn, that guy killed my kid. Kinda sucks, but he learned something new about pain, so there's a pretty good silver lining"? I don't think so.

And no, I don't believe young Mundo would've been able to fend off a horde of maddened pet owners.

The whole thing is just glossed over, because it's not credible.

Farranor 04-06-2013 11:06 AM

So, with all the recent lore reworks, could we get a Mundo lore rework that at the very least makes a bit more sense than his current one?

IceHound 04-06-2013 11:26 PM

Zaun is a very volient city-state, chances are with every murdered victim there are hundreds of suspects in Zaun. So facts are Mundo most likely doesn't even stand out from the crowd of criminals of Zaun.

ElevenOfClubs 04-07-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farranor (Hozzászólás 31837993)
Mundo's lore has a plot hole so big that it ruins the story.

"By his teenage years, his parents were nowhere to be found. By the time he had legally acquired his license to practice medicine, he had been acquitted of thirty-eight separate charges of murder by the Zaun authorities; the lack of evidence made prosecution impossible."

Not having enough evidence for a conviction is one thing - that happens all the time, even outside of Runeterra. But the idea that people would do nothing is simply preposterous. Being acquitted means that, although they may not have had concrete proof to tie Mundo to the crimes, he was under frequent, heavy suspicion. What was his attitude to the repeated attention from the authorities, I wonder? Did he display shock at their accusations and disappointment in their lack of faith in his innocence? Or did he rub it in their faces, skirting the thin line between caution and confession?

The scale of his "alleged" crimes makes the reactions of his victims' acquaintances downright anomalous. One murder victim's family may trust the rule of law and accept that the suspected murderer was not convicted. But so many murders, and all perpetrated by the same person? After a while, the whole town should eventually have risen against him (possibly with torch and pitchfork) to exile him or kill him - even just one crazed vigilante would've given the story some grounding. There's a limit to how often people will say, "well, we can't find a murder weapon and he says he was nowhere near the scene of the crime, so we'll let him go as soon as he stops pointing at us and laughing."

That isn't believable.

If nothing else, I would expect there to be a counter-Mundo champ: perhaps someone who lost too many pets and family members to Mundo to abide the incompetence of Zaun's court system and now seeks to execute Mundo for vengeance and justice.

Or just fix the plot hole.

Or, y'know, they could say, "I can't believe Sheriff Whatshisface keeps arresting this guy without any evidence. Clearly he's heavily biased against an innocent man.

And then you get Intrepid Reporter Nicelady, running this "Police uses horrible tragedy to harass innocent man" story for all itls worth; and it gets pushed by corperate interests that wants the public to assume accusations of misconduct on the part of police officers isn't worth getting all hextech torch and pitchfork over.

So when Sheriff Whatshisface says "I'm sorry ma'am, but that Mundo killed your daughter," Momma Fakename's reaction is to rage, not against Mundo, but against Whatshisface for not doing his job and putting a personal vendetta before catching her daughter's real killer.

Now, I don't like Dr. Mundo's lore, but that's really not a plot hole; nor is the lore internally nor externally inconsistent with the setting presented.