League of Legends Community
12345 ... 6

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Dota 2 or LoL? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2837371)

Burizar 11-25-2012 01:50 PM

Dota 2 or LoL?

Both are free to play, although all the champions in Dota are free.

Which game is better or should i say what is the advantage and disadvantage of each game?

Burizar 11-25-2012 01:54 PM

bump

DeathByWaffle 11-25-2012 02:10 PM

Well, I haven't really played dota 2 much (though I do have the game lol), but I used to play dota a lot back in the day. I just find LoL to be far more fun than dota. Despite the complaints people make about Riot's balancing issues and stuff, Riot does a very good job on keeping the game balanced overall and the best job out of any game company I know in keeping power creep in check. Compare that to dota which has horrible balance issues and is very prone to power creep.

Aircross 11-25-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathByWaffle (Hozzászólás 31806509)
Well, I haven't really played dota 2 much (though I do have the game lol), but I used to play dota a lot back in the day. I just find LoL to be far more fun than dota. Despite the complaints people make about Riot's balancing issues and stuff, Riot does a very good job on keeping the game balanced overall and the best job out of any game company I know in keeping power creep in check. Compare that to dota which has horrible balance issues and is very prone to power creep.

That shows that you really don't play Dota 2 much.

DeathByWaffle 11-25-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aircross (Hozzászólás 31807870)
That shows that you really don't play Dota 2 much.

Quote:

Notice how I change the subject from Dota 2 to just Dota

Aircross 11-25-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathByWaffle (Hozzászólás 31808003)
Notice how I change the subject from Dota 2 to just Dota

Any balance changes by IceFrog in DotA are implemented into Dota 2.

One game's hero balance is the other's.

Fox P McCloud 11-25-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aircross (Hozzászólás 31808685)
Any balance changes by IceFrog in DotA are implemented into Dota 2.

One game's hero balance is the other's.

This is true, but there are engine limitations on WC3 DotA that don't exist in DotA2.

This results in a few subtle differences and makes some heroes in WC3 DotA mediocre, while making them perfectly viable in DotA2 (the opposite happens as well).

Here's an example--Bounty Hunter has a skill called Jinada that gives you a guaranteed critical hit every few seconds (leveling it decreases the CD and increases the critical damage).

There's also an item called "Shadow Blade" that cloaks you and gives you increased MS--when you break stealth with an auto-attack from it, it gives you 150 bonus damage.

in WC3 DotA Jinada will not amplify Shadow Blade's 150 bonus damage...why? Due to the way Shadow Blade is coded, the only way to get that 150 bonus damage was to create a type of critical hit...therefore Jinada will not amplify it. That said, in DotA2, this limitation doesn't exist so Shadow Blade's 150 bonus damage can be amplified by Jinada (or any critical strike, really).

That said, on the whole balance between the two games is very largely the same.

Burizar 11-25-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox P McCloud (Hozzászólás 31809025)
This is true, but there are engine limitations on WC3 DotA that don't exist in DotA2.

This results in a few subtle differences and makes some heroes in WC3 DotA mediocre, while making them perfectly viable in DotA2 (the opposite happens as well).

Here's an example--Bounty Hunter has a skill called Jinada that gives you a guaranteed critical hit every few seconds (leveling it decreases the CD and increases the critical damage).

There's also an item called "Shadow Blade" that cloaks you and gives you increased MS--when you break stealth with an auto-attack from it, it gives you 150 bonus damage.

in WC3 DotA Jinada will not amplify Shadow Blade's 150 bonus damage...why? Due to the way Shadow Blade is coded, the only way to get that 150 bonus damage was to create a type of critical hit...therefore Jinada will not amplify it. That said, in DotA2, this limitation doesn't exist so Shadow Blade's 150 bonus damage can be amplified by Jinada (or any critical strike, really).

That said, on the whole balance between the two games is very largely the same.

mind blown?

JediMindaugas 11-26-2012 02:27 PM

And thou art asking this on LoL forums?
On a serious note, it is a matter of preference. Dota(2) has more depth, but is far more difficult to get a hang of. Thou might say that it is more brutal too, some combos are just devastating.
And don't listen to LoL players about Dota(2)'s balance. It is just different, heroes excel at different stages of the game as well as different areas, whereas LoL's champions art more generic and tend to do fairly equally all around.

Janin 11-26-2012 05:26 PM

I have actually played Dota 2... It is unbalanced... I think Lol is a lot funner