League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Looking for some advice. (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2833174)

Locust NA 11-24-2012 12:24 AM

Looking for some advice.

Alright, so I've been playing this game for roughly two and a half years, and I obviously enjoy it, or else I'd be long gone by now. Over the course of season 1 and 2, I didn't participate much in ranked games because I always felt people would reach level 30, say, "Hooray, I can play ranked now!", and just jump right into ranked games and ruin everything for everyone who learned how to play the game/their champions and actually play ranked to make something of their gaming career with League of Legends.

The reason I am writing this post to begin with is to simply ask, how in Nasus' name do I start winning ranked games? I know I'm a well rounded, decent player over all. I don't think I'm incredible, but I know much more about the game, champions, items, and can say with confidence that I am not bottom of the barrel. However, every time I play a ranked game, I get a few things..

1. Instant DC. I understand some people's internet connection sucks.
2. People who do not listen to their teammates in the slightest, and troll from champion select.
3. People who don't watch their map at all. It's like they forget they have one.
4. People who I'm positive don't speak any English, or just refuse to communicate.

5. (This one is important) I'll get people who play pretty well, but once we get an advantage, won't take towers, or objectives(dragon, baron), and will just dick around in the jungle forcing us to go into late game and lose the game because the opposing team will actually take advantage of won team fights and push.

Something I can't believe people don't understand in this game is that, "Champions respawn, tower's don't." or that they don't seem to realize that champions have a respawn time, and after that time is up, they have to move to a tower to stop your team from taking it. The reason this is important is because more often than not, when my team is pushing a lane, they'll back off to get dragon or something of equal or lesser value instead of taking the tower first. Why do people do this? If you take the tower it's global gold, more lane dominance, and the enemy team is more than likely going to stay near where the tower is downed for multiple reasons.
1. They don't know if you're around to gank them if they run out past that area.
2. There's creep to be had.

So I am perpetually irritated that people will give up lane push and global gold for just global gold that we could have ON TOP of the tower anyway.

Anyway, those are my concerns, and I may very well be completely retarded, but I'd really enjoy some feedback, and perhaps even some advice on how to win more games than I lose and overcome these adversities. Thanks!

Locust

Astoru2306 11-24-2012 01:28 AM

The way I've gone 8/3 so far in ranked was coming in with a positive attitude and with the mindset of winning the game. I'd suggest during champion select that you call the role that you want most, regardless if you're a filler. I'd also suggest leading by example, if your team mates are kinda goofing off in the jungle, ask them to help take a tower or push another lane as your doing those things. People who feel like they can be carried are going to contribute more than those who aren't going to, I've come across this many times, especially true with myself; I've gone into ranked games where I feel like I'm going to carry, but I end up being carried and want to contribute more so that I don't have to be a weight down for my team.

So, over all what you want to do to win ranked games (Personal experiences by the way) are;
1) Go into a game with winning as your mindset.
2) Lead by example
3) Have and keep a positive attitude

Locust NA 11-24-2012 01:35 AM

And if I've done all these things, how do I just all out carry my team? I'm constantly telling people that their mistakes are "okay." "no big deal, we'll come back from that." or I'll just ping the tower we should be pushing and say, "This first, then we drag.", but nobody pays attention.

I rarely even say anything negative to anybody during the game, and if I do, our Nexus is blowing up at that point. In champion select, I always call my two best roles, and try to even help teammates pick counter picks to enemy champions. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm nice, or if I'm not, I just need to figure out the right champion and playstyle that will completely carry my teams. I think that's what I'm really needing at this point.

Point in case would be my last two ranked games where I've watched multiple people just farm overextended with no wards and then complain about being ganked 30 minutes into the game.
Or 1 person runs into 4-5 on the enemy team and legitimately thinks they're going to win it.
Or someone runs AWAY from a fight that their team is coming to back them up on. Yes, YOU might die, but your team will pick up the ace.

I need a How To Carry For Dummies book.

Astoru2306 11-24-2012 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locust NA (Hozzászólás 31762621)
And if I've done all these things, how do I just all out carry my team? I'm constantly telling people that their mistakes are "okay." "no big deal, we'll come back from that." or I'll just ping the tower we should be pushing and say, "This first, then we drag.", but nobody pays attention.

I rarely even say anything negative to anybody during the game, and if I do, our Nexus is blowing up at that point. In champion select, I always call my two best roles, and try to even help teammates pick counter picks to enemy champions. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm nice, or if I'm not, I just need to figure out the right champion and playstyle that will completely carry my teams. I think that's what I'm really needing at this point.

Point in case would be my last two ranked games where I've watched multiple people just farm overextended with no wards and then complain about being ganked 30 minutes into the game.
Or 1 person runs into 4-5 on the enemy team and legitimately thinks they're going to win it.
Or someone runs AWAY from a fight that their team is coming to back them up on. Yes, YOU might die, but your team will pick up the ace.

Sometimes it can be just the matchmaking that can predetermine if you win or lose. I was just playing as Shaco jungle and I had a really bad start, but I kept on going and no one said anything about it, they kinda just ignored it and went on their way.

If you really want to help carry your team, you should really learn to jungle if you haven't already. Sometimes your team mates just care about being fed, and jungling can really help.

Some other things I forgot to mention; Wards. Wards have won the majority of games. You can never go wrong with wards. Also, play the champions that you want to play, don't even help your team mates try to counter pick at whatever elo you're at, the higher elo you're at, the more knowledgeable your team mates should be. Having fun is what League is all about, and if you can't play the champion you like the best, pick one that you also like.

EDIT: Also watching streams can help; One person who has really helped me learn is: twitch.tv/PhyISP
He's jungles Shaco and he answers a lot of questions you might have. He's gone all the way to 1800 just jungling as Shaco.

Etherimp 11-24-2012 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locust NA (Hozzászólás 31762621)

Imagine you're a moderately heavy drinker, and you're at a bar having a good time, and someone from across the bar says, "Hey, buddy, you need to go to AA and stop drinking."

You'd probably think, "Hey, that's none of your business, this is my life."

Now, imagine the same scenario, except the person who is telling you you need to clean up your act has gone out of their way to bail you out of numerous bad situations. They have led by example and showed that they have their sh*t together. Maybe they're a family member or a friend or a girlfriend/boyfriend or a co-worker.

Point is, you trust them because they have come through for you in the past.

If you want your team to take direction from you, you need to earn their trust.

Also, an important factor is WHO is in control?

Is the Support in control?
Is the AD Carry in control?
Is the AP Carry in control?

Who's in control?

Who's in control is partially determined by who is the tank/initiator, followed by who is most fed.

I find that when I am 2/0/8 as Jungle Cho'gath, I've pulled off several successful ganks, I have 6 stacks on my Ulti, and I'm landing my Q like a boss, people are much more receptive to my suggestions. They recognize me as the team leader and they know that if they stay behind me, good things will (usually) come about. And if I make a mistake, I acknowledge and apologize for the mistake.. I don't blame others for it. This is being a leader.

Likewise, if I am Caitlyn or Sivir and I am dominating bot lane to the point where I can 3 shot anyone on the enemy team, I will stick with my tank and they will follow me around protecting me IF they are smart.. If they are not, then I just have to follow them around and hope they put me in a position to get more kills.

If I am a Soraka or Taric, I just follow my AD carry around and if my AD carry keeps getting me and him/herself killed, I will find someone else to follow.. Usually the tank.

If I am solo-top Yorick or Garen or (whoever), I will hold my lane and take the tower and farm until I am fed enough to stroll into late game and dominate the enemy carries. I will do so by showing up when my team needs me the most, and then I will stick with my team and bolster their morale with my presence. They will know that I am willing to peel for them or that I am willing to dive and take tower hits to ensure they get a kill.

If I'm an AP Carry, I just hang out behind the tank and make plays by CCing and bursting down the enemy teams squishiest targets... But it's not my job to call the shots or push the towers, so I don't try to do that.

Bottom line.. If people aren't listening to you it's because you haven't shown you are the leader of the team OR you are playing a position which cannot be in a "leadership" role.

Locust NA 11-24-2012 02:02 PM

It just sucks when I know 30 seconds into the game we're probably going to lose it. When the team is arguing over nonsense, picking ridiculous items for their first item, or just trolling, I know we're going to lose 30 seconds in. That doesn't stop me from playing my best, however, but it does put the idea in the back of my head.

As for wards, I buy 2-3 wards on every back I make. It saves my life on numerous occasions and helps the entire team. However, after I've set my last ward, I'll hear, "NO WARDS NOOB. BAD." even though I'll have a much better score in terms of kills to deaths and CS.

Most games I play, I try to ADC Ezreal or Top Lee Sin. Reasons being is because those are my two best roles and champions for the roles, and I always do well with those champions.

I can(and have) played a game as Lee Sin top and had a score similar to 9/1 around 18 minutes in, but I'll look at the rest of my team and see a 2/6 mid, 1/4 jungle, 2/5 adc, and 1/8 support. I've ended games as Ezreal as 16/3 in a loss because the rest of my team does outlandish things that make me question whether or not their monitor is even plugged in.

I do my best to help the team, be productive, be positive, and win the game, because isn't that the ultimate goal here?

The enemy team noticed how frustrated I was getting in my last ranked game and were actually voicing sympathy for me in all chat, saying things like, "Wow, Locust, I'm sorry you have to play with people like this. It was a gg up top." or "Lol, what? Lee(Myself) is the best player on your team." or "It's okay, Lee(Myself), I'll duo with you after this. I feel for you, man." or(this one's the best)"Lee, if you feel like you can't carry these idiots right now, wait about 2 weeks to play ranked. That way all the bad kids will be around 700 ELO and you won't get queued up with them again."

Which leads me to believe I should just drop ranked games for a couple weeks, because it does make sense.
"SEASON 3 IS OUT? TIME TO RANKED!" I think I'd like to avoid every fresh 30 with 80 wins who wants to play ranked and still builds hybrid Warwick or something.

I don't say any of this out of arrogance or malice, but...I've won almost 1,500 games in my League career. I've played games with 1900 rated players and beaten them/been told I should be queued up with them, so it's disheartening to constantly play with the people I play with.

BroBabySitMeOrGG 11-24-2012 03:20 PM

idk

BroBabySitMeOrGG 11-24-2012 03:21 PM

idkk

Locust NA 11-24-2012 06:37 PM

Bump.

Patyfatycake 11-24-2012 07:41 PM

When you win your lane roam to others/push hard, ward their jungle and kill their jungler. The dc's and stuff you can't do anything about, you just have to do the best with what you have.

When you are dominating your lane push it as hard as you can and ward, if your going to their second tower the jungler WILL have to focus you, one he is focusing you then your other lanes are safe. Hopefully your jungler can help them then.