League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Tribunal Ban Inquiries (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Homophobic Slur - punish or pardon (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2818273)

x SEM x 11-19-2012 11:41 AM

Homophobic Slur - punish or pardon

I figured it was an insta-punish, and I find that offensive and immature, and bad for the community in general. When I see that, I almost immediately think punish. However, I was in the minority on a recent case.

The person wasn't terrible in their game, just kind of borderline negative. He likely would have gotten a pardon from me, if he didn't then end a game saying "GG Gays".

I punished him, but I was in the minority.

I want to keep punishing people for saying things like that, but I'm confused as to why I'm in the minority for agreeing with the person that reported him for being offensive. Does the community really believe that this offensive language should be pardoned?

Pratz Strike 11-19-2012 11:45 AM

Absolutely not. This is an example of the false positives we get from time to time. Can you link the report card for the case?

nothingxs 11-19-2012 11:45 AM

Just keep doing the right thing. This is a case of most of the people voting not reading -- I think the people who got stuck voting on this one ought to get warned about things like that.

Can you post the case link?

TheFlyingSpoon 11-19-2012 11:46 AM

I would probably insta-Punish for saying "GG Gays" at the end of a game. It would take a rare case where I wouldn't.

Can you post the link to the case?

Sereg Anfaug 11-19-2012 11:48 AM

That wouldn't be punishable by itself, no. It might seal the deal if there was other stuff making me consider the Punish button, but if I'd otherwise have Pardoned, this single line wouldn't have changed my decision.

Why? Because it doesn't meet my definition of Toxic. Is it uncalled for? Sure. Rude? Yes. Toxic? No.

pwndabear 11-19-2012 11:49 AM

That would be an insta-punish for me too; I wouldn't look at any of the other reports.

I have to say, however, that I have seen racial slurs in cases before where the culprit is pardoned. I find that to be so odd. I'm sorry, but thats just wrong and should be treated accordingly.

pwndabear 11-19-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereg Anfaug (Hozzászólás 31605079)
That wouldn't be punishable by itself, no. It might seal the deal if there was other stuff making me consider the Punish button, but if I'd otherwise have Pardoned, this single line wouldn't have changed my decision.

Why? Because it doesn't meet my definition of Toxic. Is it uncalled for? Sure. Rude? Yes. Toxic? No.

If you were homosexual and you read that, you would feel differently. If you were of any ethnicity and saw a slur that was specifically against what you are, you would feel differently.

this kind of talk is grounds for instant retribution.

Sereg Anfaug 11-19-2012 11:59 AM

What? If I was a homosexual and someone referred to me as one, I would presumably be less offended then I am now if that happens. I'm straight. I don't enjoy being called a "gay". If I was gay, I doubt I'd mind as much.

If it was actually a slur, f*ggot for example, that might change things.

However, that's not the case here, nor is it what we're discussing. We're discussing a player making a rude and uncalled for parting remark - not being graceful in victory(or defeat, I don't know which). Against the Summoner's Code? Technically. Bad enough to be punished, lacking anything else offensive? Probably not. Not enough that I'd trust the Majority to vote with me if I chose to Punish, which I assume is why alot of judges erred on the safe side and called it a Pardon.

pwndabear 11-19-2012 12:03 PM

gays, in this scenario, is used in a derogatory way regardless of the sexual orientation of the opposing players. and that IS what i am arguing.
it would be just as bad if he had said "gg blacks"

Sereg Anfaug 11-19-2012 12:11 PM

And that, by itself, is not something I would punish. And I tend to err on the side of Punishing, in general... I'm one of the stricter Tribunal judges, at least as far as I can tell.