League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Champ/Skin Concepts (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Ryeau, Savant of the Springs (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2817809)

Mytharionas 11-19-2012 08:25 AM

Ryeau, Savant of the Springs

The support is one of the most underestimated roles in the League of Legends. Individually, they might not be threatening on their own, but in teams they bring a power that no other role can accomplish. Ryeau is no exception, using the rejuvenating power of the mythical hot springs to bolster his allies and befuddle his enemies.

Whether he's using steam blasts to harry his enemies, or healing his allies with potent springs, Ryeau brings a great deal of utility and tenacity to the League, and that isn't even mentioning the drinks.

Tags: 1-10
Offense: 3
Defense:6
Ability Power:8
Difficulty: 8

Statistics:
Health: 361(+76)
Health Regen 4.5(+.55)
Mana: 283(+58)
Mana Regen: 6.95(+0.65)
Range: 475
Attack DMG: 48.2(+3)
Attack Speed: 0.625(+2.07%)
Magic Resist: 30
Movement Speed: 330
Armor: 9(+3.7)

Appearance:
Ryeau is a mage, and while the magic springs empower his body, he isn't nearly as buff as the other champions of the League. With silver hair, golden eyes, and a lithe physique, his appearance would be adequetely described as "boyband pretty." Which is pretty fortuitous for him considering his profession. His weapon is a simple staff with a stark white crystal embedded in one end.

The attire that Ryeau uses is simple in design. Leather boots, protective vambraces, and a sleeveless trenchcoat with a protective shawl (similar to Mafia Graves) around the shoulders. However, the original colors have long since faded, and the outfit mostly consists of pale greys and deep browns. On the shawl is a symbol similar to the Yin-Yang symbol, except with blue and red dragons circling one another.

There are several alternate skins that can be derived from just his lore alone. Prophesized Ryeau would mix the deep blues and bright reds of his home into a regal attire, complete with dragon adornments. The spell effects would also change from Ryeau's normal steam clouds into combinations of fire and water. Alpha Barista Ryeau uses a modern uniform, blending the styles of a high class bartender with that of a massage therapist. Those spells would change into much more colorful splashes, as if he shot martini's everywhere. Non-lore skins could really go anywhere, from thunderclouds to fog machine blasts to RPG-styled outfits with two hundred belts.

His stance resembles that of a monk more than any sort of wizard, wielding his staff with one hand while the other is in front of him, ready to bring his potent steam magic to bear. When attacking he swings his staff and launches bolts of boiling water from the crystal in his staff. Critical strikes shoot the bolt directly from his free hand.

Skills:
What Ryeau lacks in offensive power, he makes up for with strong utility and considerable healing power. His playstyle rewards bold advances and allows Ryeau to put the enemy team into a state of disarray.

Passive: Sponsorship - Ryeau utilizes the power of the springs, as well as his finest stock. Healing effects on allies are 6/9/12/15% stronger. Whenever Ryeau is healed by his own spells, he gains mana equal to 50% of the health gained. Additionally, health and mana potions are replaced with finer beverages.

Health Potion --> Rioter's Raspberry Punch - Restores 150 health and 50 mana over 15 seconds.
Mana Potion --> Mauve Mango Martini - Restores 100 mana and 75 health over 15 seconds.

Ryeau's healing power is a considerable boon to his allies, but no one in their right mind would underestimate the unbridled power of a good drink! Combined with the rest of his repetoire, Ryeau has the defensive power you need to prevail in a heated battle.

Q: Fissure - Ryeau summons steam from below the earth, dealing 75/115/155/195/235(+0.55AP) magic damage to all enemies in a line and slowing their movement speed by 30/35/40/45/50% for 1.25 seconds. If Fissure hits a Miracle Geyser, the Geyser is instantly charged to full power.
Projectile Speed - 1050
Range - 825
Cooldown - 12/11/10/9/8
Mana Cost - 70/75/80/85/90

This is Ryeau's signature attack. By itself, it's nothing to be too concerned about. However, this ability allows you better positioning for your other abilities. If you hit a geyser with Fissure, it will instantly increase to maximum power! What does that mean exactly? Read on, and you will see the wonderful combination start to take shape.

W: Miracle Geyser - Ryeau infuses a target area with his magic, healing allied champions for 65/110/155/200/245(+0.3AP) and creating a geyser lasting up to five seconds. After he can activate the spell again to trigger the geyser's eruption, which deals 65/85/105/125/145(+0.6AP) magic damage to enemies within the geyser. Every second the geyser charges, it gains 20% extra damage and 0.3 seconds of stun.
Range - 1000
AoE Range - 300
Cooldown - 18/17/16/15/14
Mana Cost - 70/90/110/130/150

This is Ryeau's tool for supporting his allies and controlling the position of the enemy. A well placed geyser in the middle of a fight combined with a Fissure can destroy the momentum of the enemy team, giving your own team time to press the assault. It can also be used for solely offensive purposes. By placing the geyser in your enemy's escape route, you effectively prevent them from running away, lest they risk getting nuked and stunned. In conjuction with Fissure, Ryeau brings a very threatening combo to the fields. Thanks to Fissure's relatively slow speed, you can easily place a Miracle Geyser in the way and instantly follow up with a fully charged geyser!

E: Pressure Palm - Ryeau unleashes a blast of steam from his hand, dealing 60/100/140/180/220(+0.65AP) magic damage in a cone to enemy targets and lowering their magic resistance by 15/20/25/30/35 for 3.5 seconds. Enemies hit in close range are also knocked back.
Cone Degree - 40
Range - 525 (175 for knockback)
Knockback Distance - 275
Duration - 3.5
Cooldown - 13/12/11/10/9
Mana Cost - 60/70/80/90/100

With Pressure Palm, Ryeau has a reliable way to deal damage to nearby targets. However, using it in close range allows you to knock the target away. Such an ability is useful for harassing enemies from far away, preventing them from attacking vulnerable targets, or herding them towards an untimely demise. It's especially devastating in conjunction with Miracle Geyser. However, we certainly can't forget about his greatest ability...

R: Sublimation - Ryeau's body becomes a gaseous mass, gaining 30/50/70 bonus movement speed, and ignoring unit collision. During this time, Ryeau cannot cast his other abilities, but gains access to Deposition. This form lasts for a maximum of 4/5/6 seconds.

R: Deposition - Ryeau's body reforms and expels a vast amount of magic, healing nearby allies for 225/375/525(+0.9AP). Using Deposition ends Sublimation.
Cooldown - 170/155/140
AoE Diameter - 800
Mana Cost - 150/200/250

Sublimation is Ryeau's ultimate, allowing him to become a fast mass of gas. When an ally needs some emergency aid, Ryeau can quickly get himself to the scene and get them back in fighting shape with Deposition. His heavy healing ultimate paired with his positional control allows skilled Ryeau players to protect their allies as well as securing their kills.

Playing as Ryeau:
Fissure allows you to fully charge a Miracle Geyser, but Fissure has a somewhat slow speed. Because of this, a well positioned Miracle Geyser can be immediately charged after casting Fissure.

If you or an ally are retreating, Miracle Geyser is an exceptional tool to protect yourself with. Not only does it heal you, but it will deal damage to and stun your pursuer if they continue the chase.

Sublimation grants Ryeau a great deal of mobility. While Deposition works wonders in healing your allies, it may be more useful to bait an opponents into a trap and evading their attacks with Sublimation.

Playing against Ryeau:
Miracle Geyser is both a heal, and an AoE stun effect. If he places it offensively, he won't be able to heal himself or his teammates with it.

Pressure Palm has the ability to knock back opponents at close range. If you engage Ryeau in melee, take care that you don't get knocked back into an unfavorable position.

Sublimation is a very strong mobility tool that also serves as a massive short range heal. If a team fight looks set to happen, focus Ryeau to prevent his teammates from benefitting from the Deposition.

Lore (is still in the works):
When the forces of Noxus had begun to invade Ionia, many of the island nation's finest warriors readied themselves for war. While they have done well in defending their homes from the Noxian threat, another force believed that the war was far from over. The reclusive magi of the Serpents Entwined trained and perfected their magics for centuries. With the twin disciplines of fire and water, the only balance that the magi needed was granted by their rival faction. Such was the creed held dear by the Serpents, save for one.

The day Ryeau discovered his magic was one of turmoil and confusion, for while his fellow mages wielded fire and water, his magic was a motley combination of the two. The steam magic he used was potent in its own right, but nobody among the Serpents could guide him on the path of the mage. Without the ability to learn their arts, Ryeau was exiled from their sanctum until the day he comes of age. Upon that day the Order would find him, and decide whether he was to become a mage among the Serpents, or a corpse. As a final gift, they granted him one of the dormant staves crafted by their order. The crystal in the head was mere glass, but would one day serve as a focus for Ryeau's magic. With nothing left for him at the sanctum, he departed for the woods.

Despite being exiled from the only home he's ever known, Ryeau was in good spirits. He often snuck away from the Serpents in favor of walking the lands they were sworn to protect. This time however, he had a task that would take him far from familiar grounds. If he was to become a mage, he would need a mentor. While the cities of Ionia had potential, something inexplicable was calling to him from deeper in the wilds. He could not deny that call, and it led him to a strange cavern far from civilization. It was deep within that Ryeau found the source, a lone spring that seemed to draw power from his presence. Curious, Ryeau drew closer to the spring...

As time passed, Ryeau built his home into the caverns. Through his hands, one spring became many. As he gave his powers to the springs, so too did the springs give power to Ryeau. The focus in his staff roiled and swelled with their power, and his magic grew to heights that he would've expected only from the archmagi of the Serpents. The day that his order would come was far away, and Ryeau needed only to wait. But Ryeau had other ideas. The springs were a monument to the magical prowess Ryeau had worked so hard to achieve, but it would be selfish to deny the world of it's healing power...

To be continued...

This story is not an easy one to write, as i've been rather busy the past few days. I will have it finished properly in due time, so i'll just give you the details:

Ryeau is a mage that invoked steam magic. The order to which he was born to cast him out because his magic is, to them, a mockery of the flame and water magics that their order practices. The order promised that they would find him when he was of age (18) and if Ryeau didn't become a mage worthy of their order in that time, they would kill him.

Ryeau is drawn to a magic hot spring, and they form some kind of bond. The springs empower Ryeau, and he uses his magic to give power back to the springs by creating more of them. He was an exceptionally powerful mage even before he came of age. He decided that the rejuvenating power of the springs is too useful to keep it away from the world. He essentially turns it into a giant spa/classy bar, and it becomes popular with many warriors, including some Ionian champions. That's as far as i've got. Any feedback would be quite helpful here.

Quotes:
Champion Selection - "Glad to be of service."

Moving - "You can't rush these things."
Moving - "Relax, i'll be there in a moment."
Moving - "Things seem to be heating up."
Moving - "It's good to get away from the springs, sometimes."
Moving - "No pressure."
Moving - "They underestimate me."
Moving - "My power bides, and will soon be released."

Attacking - "Let us spring into action!"
Attacking - "I'm on a hot streak!"
Attacking - "I'm pretty good at this kind of wetwork."
Attacking - "You might wanna visit the springs after this one."
Attacking - "Come on now, i'm just getting warmed up!"
Attacking - "Don't throw in the towel just yet!"
Attacking - "The heat of battle is nice, but it just doesn't compare!"

Taunt - "Is it hot in here, or is it just me?" Ryeau begins to expel steam power from his body. "Heh, as if I needed to state the answer."
Taunt - "At the springs, I provide quality service to all! Ryeau begins to expel steam power from his body. "Regardless of whether or not I beat them down earlier today."

Joke - Ryeau takes out a sheet of paper. "Hmm...'I'm getting steamed up here!'...No, that won't work. 'You're under a lot of pressure, aren't you?'...That's just stupid...'Out of the frying pan and into the springs!'...GAH! Why is this so difficult?!"
Joke - Ryeau takes out a sheet of paper. "'Again' she murmured, her many tails furling in ecstasy. It was not long before the bedroom was once again bathed in that radiant green hue. She moaned in delight as the gentle hum of the Hyper Kinetic Position Reverser...Wha-WOAH! The hell did I just read?!"

Final Thoughts:
Ryeau is a champion i've worked on for a great while now. I wanted a champion that had something to with water, but I had no idea how to bring it a unique identity. Eventually I arrived at the concept for a steam mage. I feel like there may be some ways to improve it but i've yet to think of them. I hope you all like the Savant of the Springs. (Or should I call him the Sauna Savant?)

11/21/12 Lowered the AP Ratios on Fissure and Miracle Geyser and added a mana component to the passive, hopefully bringing the power down to reasonable levels while making Ryeau more sustainable and accessible. My thanks to Halagren and Leo Tomita for their input.
1/14/13 Lowered the slow duration on Fissure and the knockback distance and threshhold on Pressure Palm. My thanks to Nysta for his/her input.

Let me know what you think, whether it's bad or good, critique to take the story, issues with the kit, and so on, so forth. If you wish to look at my other champions instead you can find them at this index.

Every review helps, and i'd be more than happy to review your champions in exchange.

Agathoric 11-19-2012 09:14 AM

Very exceptional job putting this all together. I think it has a chance

Halagren 11-19-2012 10:32 AM

I think it is an interesting champion to say the least. The ability mechanics are very cool but some of the numbers seem a bit off. I would see the champion play more of a support role but the AP scaling on the W seems a bit much with the active. I mean you could just stack ap and have insane harass, though I think harass is a bit of an understatement, and the heals coming out would be just nuts. Again this is just my opinion but, I think that it should be more focused towards a support. Maybe lowering the CD or mana cost on the W and reducing the ap scaling on the damage would help it?

Mytharionas 11-19-2012 12:03 PM

You make a fair point Halagren, but I have taken a look at other champions values for references, and I don't think Miracle Geyser is quite as powerful as you might think.

Other champions with heals tend to have a rather hefty defense bonus attached to them. Soraka grants armor, Kayle grants movement speed, Nidalee grants some pretty strong attack speed. There is no such bonus on Ryeau's heal. Also, if Ryeau uses his W solely to harass an enemy, he throws away his heal, and needs to rely on his Q+W combo in order to do any considerable damage.

If you still find Miracle Geyser to be too strong in the damage department, i'll take a look at the ratios. I still want a fully charged geyser to do a hefty bit of damage, but a minimal geyser should be considered an inefficient attack for how much it costs.

Halagren 11-20-2012 07:38 AM

Well my main concern with the ability is if you take the champion mid lane. Lets say you get caught in a gank or the other mid lane dives you, all you have to to is q+w and your back at half health and your opponents get nuked hard. It just seems a little hard to balance in that regard. Of course I don't claim to be an expert on these things. Just an opinion. Maybe a riot employee would have better insight into it.

Leo Tomita 11-20-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Passive: Sponsorship
this idea is good...at early game is quite fun BUT at the end games, not THAT usefull dont you think?

Quote:

Q: Fissure - Ryeau summons steam from below the earth, dealing 75/115/155/195/235(+0.7AP) magic damage to all enemies in a line and slowing their movement speed by 30/35/40/45/50% for 2 seconds. If Fissure hits a Miracle Geyser, the Geyser is instantly charged to full power.
alright!! this skill fits him...but the damage by itself is kinda strong adding the other spells damage...and since this is a combo starter skill the cooldown is ok... the AP ratio...not so much...but i love the sinergy with the other spells tho!

Quote:

W: Miracle Geyser - Ryeau infuses a target area with his magic, healing allied champions for 65/110/155/200/245(+0.4AP) and creating a geyser lasting up to five seconds. After he can activate the spell again to trigger the geyser's eruption, which deals 65/85/105/125/145(+0.8AP) magic damage to enemies within the geyser. Every second the geyser charges, it gains 20% extra damage and 0.3 seconds of stun.
nothing to add here...or almost...this skill heal more than Soraka in a AoE plus stunning...this can be tricky (to use or calculate)...the second activation part i like it...kinda like Kunka on Dota rigth? what else could i say? the sad part is that none of these concept will ever come to life, cause i want to see this mechanics working...

Quote:

E: Pressure Palm - Ryeau unleashes a blast of steam from his hand, dealing 60/100/140/180/220(+0.65AP) magic damage in a cone to enemy targets and lowering their magic resistance by 15/20/25/30/35 for 3.5 seconds. Enemies hit in close range are also knocked back.
sweet Lord now i realize!!! what HUGE mana costs on this dude!....this can be tricky as well...i was reading thinking "its kinda normal a mage have great mana costs...like Veigar etc...but he has a regain mana skill.....Ryeau has nothing to regain mana...and he uses A LOT...because low CD+ High mana cost= depleted when teamfight starts....only good players will be able to save some mana to do it!"....OH another great disruptive skill i didn't see the Fissure sinergy....you forget it or it is intentional? other than that! FINE SKILL!!!!

Quote:

R: Sublimation - Ryeau's body becomes a gaseous mass, gaining 30/50/70 bonus movement speed, and ignoring unit collision. During this time, Ryeau cannot cast his other abilities, but gains access to Deposition. This form lasts for a maximum of 4/5/6 seconds.

R: Deposition - Ryeau's body reforms and expels a vast amount of magic, healing nearby allies for 225/375/525(+0.9AP). Using Deposition ends Sublimation.
thats what i was talking about...his heal skills are kinda strong ...nerf the geyser a lil bit because this is the skill to use in teamfigths!
"Amumu, Galio, Soraka...whatever ult your team......
OH NO! we gonna die! _Says your team...
NO YA WONT!!!_ Says Ryeau...
OH !!! Thanks dude you save the day!!!
thats why im here for!!!"
get it?

OVERALL

great supportive champion ...mechanics concern....as you mentioned before ...thats your strong point...i suck at Lores quotes...explanations...

as all your champs..they are always well writen and stuff

ill soon review your quotes and Lore...im going dinner now

Mytharionas 11-21-2012 06:46 AM

Quote:

Well my main concern with the ability is if you take the champion mid lane. Lets say you get caught in a gank or the other mid lane dives you, all you have to to is q+w and your back at half health and your opponents get nuked hard. It just seems a little hard to balance in that regard. Of course I don't claim to be an expert on these things. Just an opinion. Maybe a riot employee would have better insight into it.
You do bring up an interesting theory there. Of course, the only mid lane match ups that would fit in with this would be ones like Kat, as a ranged Q+W would be significantly harder to land on far away targets. Your point absolutely works when fighting a jungler though, i'll take a look at the damages in a bit.

Quote:

this idea is good...at early game is quite fun BUT at the end games, not THAT usefull dont you think?
I have to agree there. Originally the healing component on W was going to be built into the passive. It went something like this;

"Landing 3 consecutive abilities on enemy champions creates a hot spring at their location. Allies who enter the hot spring are healed by 50/60/70/80% of the damage done by the third ability."

At the time, I thought it was a nifty passive. But having Ryeau's only real support ability tied to a nuking combination seemed like a rather unwieldy tool for a support. If I had to make a change to the passive, i'd probably add a component that allows Ryeau to gain mana whenever he is healed by his own spells.

Quote:

alright!! this skill fits him...but the damage by itself is kinda strong adding the other spells damage...and since this is a combo starter skill the cooldown is ok... the AP ratio...not so much...but i love the sinergy with the other spells tho
Looking back at the abilities, I did go a bit strong with the ratios. I'll see what I can do about that one.

Quote:

nothing to add here...or almost...this skill heal more than Soraka in a AoE plus stunning...this can be tricky (to use or calculate)...the second activation part i like it...kinda like Kunka on Dota rigth? what else could i say? the sad part is that none of these concept will ever come to life, cause i want to see this mechanics working...
It is, but the healing will rarely hit multiple allies until late game. Being a support, Ryeau will want to use this on his lane partner when they're low, or in close range to an enemy if they're mid. It has many other uses such as blocking off paths and punishing junglers, but using it solely for one purpose prevents the other component from coming into play unless Ryeau uses some very risky tactics.

As for the Kunka comparison, I think Kunka's ability requires a full delay all the time, while Ryeau's can be activated quicker at the expense of power. With that in mind, i'll try to make change the ratios a bit, but I think the max level charge is in a fair position.

Quote:

sweet Lord now i realize!!! what HUGE mana costs on this dude!....this can be tricky as well...i was reading thinking "its kinda normal a mage have great mana costs...like Veigar etc...but he has a regain mana skill.....Ryeau has nothing to regain mana...and he uses A LOT...because low CD+ High mana cost= depleted when teamfight starts....only good players will be able to save some mana to do it!"....OH another great disruptive skill i didn't see the Fissure sinergy....you forget it or it is intentional? other than that! FINE SKILL!!!!
Ah, see I was wondering what Ryeau's situation was with mana. Perhaps I have some room to add that heals-to-mana passive in exchange for lower ratios. After all, Ryeau's playstyle is supposed to allow him to pull off the risky plays that other supports/mages would balk at. Being able to successfully use both components of W should yield a sizable payoff in that regard.

And the Fissure thing? Sorry, that's just for Miracle Geyser. Not sure how one would interact with the other without the addition of some sort of mark mechanic, and i'm not sure if that would fit Ryeau.

Quote:

thats what i was talking about...his heal skills are kinda strong ...nerf the geyser a lil bit because this is the skill to use in teamfigths!
"Amumu, Galio, Soraka...whatever ult your team......
OH NO! we gonna die! _Says your team...
NO YA WONT!!!_ Says Ryeau...
OH !!! Thanks dude you save the day!!!
thats why im here for!!!"
get it?
Glad to see the ultimate is in a good state. I'll see what I can do about the geyser.

Thanks for your reviews and critiques, i'll be implementing these changes shortly.

Leo Tomita 12-12-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Upon that day the Order would find him, and decide whether he was to become a mage among the Serpents, or a corpse.
sutil.....
cool Lore so far...a hard working mage.....because most of mage Lores starts with
"A prodigial student of magic, who beats the **** out of his professors with only 4 years old......"
this dude suffers quite a little to became something ....as we ALL do!!
when finished....
but i dont think you can get lost from here....only needs a motivation to enter the League...and bingo

Moby the White 12-22-2012 08:26 PM

i'll come back when the lore is finished :D

Mytharionas 12-31-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

i'll come back when the lore is finished
You might be waiting a while on that one. All of my attention is currently being spent on my next project. Which is taking forever because I cannot manage to construct a decent skillset.