League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   New Player Forum (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Newbie here! (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2814503)

Kismettle 11-18-2012 09:07 AM

Newbie here! (w/ questions about champions)

I've played a few games against bots, so I'm slowly getting the hang of things already.

There are so many champions though, and I've read somewhere that you shouldn't play the same champion all the time because that might imbalance your team? As a new player, I'd find it a lot easier to just stick with one champion for now and try out others once I'm comfortable.

So it that true, do veteran players switch champions a lot?

Also, there are a number of champions available to me now...what day do they usually switch out to new ones?

Thanks!

BStein 11-18-2012 09:50 AM

hello and i hope you are enjoying LoL so far.

honestly when you are first starting out you shouldnt worry too much about your team comp. but i dont think you should just stick with one champ. i would recommend trying out all the free week champs, who knows you might find a champ you like more then the current champ you are playing.

veteran players dont really switch champs as much as they know all the champs and are able to play them all. so when the champ they are best at is counter picked or banned they are able to pick an other champ and not have it effect them much.

the 'free week' champs changed every week on tuesday i think. there will be a post on the lol home page letting you know who the new free champs are.

Kismettle 11-18-2012 02:00 PM

Thanks BStein! Yep I think that's what I'll do.

One more question: I can't figure out how to create my own game with bots. I click on the Play icon at the top of PvP.net, but afterwards I don't see any Practice or Bot game icons. Am I just a moron and I'm not looking in the right place, or have things changed since they wrote the help pages?

I know there is Co-op vs AI, but I thought that a practice game would be kind of like the tutorials, with all bots and no other "human" summoners besides yourself.

BawksUvAydes 11-18-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kismettle (Hozzászólás 31574494)
Thanks BStein! Yep I think that's what I'll do.

One more question: I can't figure out how to create my own game with bots. I click on the Play icon at the top of PvP.net, but afterwards I don't see any Practice or Bot game icons. Am I just a moron and I'm not looking in the right place, or have things changed since they wrote the help pages?

I know there is Co-op vs AI, but I thought that a practice game would be kind of like the tutorials, with all bots and no other "human" summoners besides yourself.

What you want is a Custom Game, it lets you choose more options, like which of the maps you want to play on, how many bots to add, etc. Just go to the custom game option and choose Create Game or whatever the new game button is at the bottom.

The main thing when you're starting is to learn what each champ does, like what their main draw is. For example, you don't need to know that Singed has a ranged area slow and the exact stats on his ultimate, just that he leaves a poison trail, is tough to kill, and you shouldn't chase him.

As for your earlier question as to learning 1 champ vs multiple, I would say try out a few and stick to a few in different roles. If you like playing Ashe, that's great, but when two people on your team instantly pick Vayne and Graves then instantly lock in (as tends to happen at lower levels), you've already two other characters filling Ashe's role, and playing Ashe would be a bad idea. You would be much better served playing a support-type or tanky or mage character, which your team would be lacking. So yeah, picking a few characters is fine, just try one or two for each role so you can pick a character you like that the team actually needs.

jlmoss 11-18-2012 03:14 PM

Yeah... I just started myself and after the tutorial it tried to put me in a group co-op vs. ai but it took way too long, so I went straight into the pvp aspect of the game... since that is what were here for, hehe. Why not just jump right in and learn your characters that way?

So far, I'm level 11. Have run into a few bummers, and have caused 1 or 2 bummers myself, but all in all, it's been a decent experience.

As to the different champs, I've come to the conclusion to learn three champs at a time. One ranged caster, one tank/utility/jungler, and one melee dps champ. Veigar/Skarnar/& that barbarian guy with the axe. I think I'll switch the barbarian guy out with the rat guy soon as I think he would be a bit more fun.

When I hit the selection screen, I'll wait a few secs to see what everyone else is picking. If there are some tanky/melee champs selected already, I'll go with Veigar. If there are no tanks, I'll happily pick Skarnar. I'm not much of a fan of melee champs but if the team is lacking in that area, I'll pick the barb. hehe

It really all depends on what your teammates pick, then you can pick whatever type character will help the most.

By the way, I'm level 11 now. Friend me, and if you see me on, we could certainly group up and queue for a game!