League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Lore Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Thank you Maokai (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2804708)

Trollgernautt 11-15-2012 08:26 PM

Thank you Maokai

When Maokai was released, I had just started seeing a therapist. I was depressed. I really enjoy tank/support champions, so he was a very pleasant addition to my playable characters. I could not realize at first, but game after game, after hearing his quotes over and over, I finally started connecting with him.

Have anyone ever stop to think about one of his quotes? It goes like: "I would end this burden, but it always returns".

Can you grasp the content of this phrase?

Well, it means Maokai tried to kill himself (I won't refer to him as "it").

Most of us are adults here, ok? We all get it, it's a game. But... when I realized the hell Maokai was going though. Trapped in a life he did not ask for, in a world he could not fully understand, surrounded by people that could not (or did not want to) help. I swear, it brought tears to my eyes. Because I can completely relate to that feeling.

And to finally state something: I believe that is the role of the lore in the game. Making you feel connected to something, making you think about yourself and the ones around you. Riot can only go so far with the lore, we have to meet in the middle. We have to reach and listen to the champions, because many of them have very deep messages behind them.

You may not like some of the stories told, you may call them "weak" or "fail", but remember that they mean something to someone over there. And every now and then, try to listen to what your favorite champion have to say. You might be surprised.

I'd like to thank Riot's artists who work on the champions lore. Especially the one responsible for Maokai's lore. You helped me a lot with the simple words of a sad tree.

And sorry for my english, hue hue hue hue hue.

goeasyonme89 11-16-2012 12:36 AM

you're kidding right?>

Eredaar 11-16-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goeasyonme89 (Hozzászólás 31483316)
you're kidding right?>

based off his name I would say yes, BUT this eems like a legit posts and YOU good sir get a dislike

Zyorhist 11-16-2012 07:41 AM

Real or not the message is pretty good...

1Eredale 11-16-2012 08:26 AM

Indeed, this one Champion whose Lore was written through player interaction, worked on by the former Creative Team members, and published in the JoJ, has a quite likeable and relatable character. I will never forget the moment when I saw the words 'Official RP Event' marked with Riot emblem among other threads of the Lore forum.

And what do we have now, instead of that?... It makes me thoroughly sad.

Lagginator 11-16-2012 08:51 PM

Don't worry, the lore team will probably take care of that "complexity" or the "relatability" you have with Maokai soon. They moved Twisted Treeline, so they'll probably update Mao's lore soon.

LastTestament 11-17-2012 11:40 PM

THESE WOUUUUUNDS REQUIRE A POOOOTION!!!!

also...what says he doesn't want to kill himself just go back to being a tree?
I think Maokai feels out of place and wants to be a tree...I don't get the suicidal feel off him more the isolation feel same as malphite.

Maokai wouldn't listen to death cab for cutie...he'd listen to john denver

Thanias1 11-19-2012 10:07 AM

Somebody needs a bro hug

OneSixthIrish 11-19-2012 01:06 PM

And the lore for new champs will never be as they were, and the new riot creative team will retcon all the good old lore to new piles of ****.

Morec0 11-19-2012 02:19 PM

Manly tears were shed upon reading this! I had never honestly thought of Maokai like that before, but now I will never think of him any other way.

Carry on, good sir; carry on!