League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Zed Analysis (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2803005)

Foomps 11-15-2012 02:32 PM

Zed Analysis

Taken from http://dd.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegen...with_pictures/ credits to the original author

As far as his playstyle goes, I think he's extremely fun. I've always enjoyed playing highly mobile champions, especially if there's an element of deception to them (Wukong, Shaco). That being said, in his current state he doesn't seem to flow very well. His energy costs are very high, and on a cooldown-based champion that requires chaining your abilities in rapid succession, this is an extreme weakness.

After playing him pretty extensively today I've realized that, given this aforementioned weakness, his teamfight presence is virtually non-existent. You ult into a fight, combo your abilities, and immediately have to disengage with either Flash or Living Shadow or risk dying. In the time it takes your energy to regenerate, the fight is over and your team probably lost because they were down a player.

Other than that, I've noticed that for a high mobility champion, he has a very hard time sticking to targets. His only crowd control is a slow that requires you to waste your escape to fully utilize, and, given how small the range is on his E, isn't entirely likely for it to land anyway. In my experience, if your ult is on cooldown, chances are you're not going to be able to catch up to someone running away from you unless you burn Flash. This is a bit of a problem.

As far as Living Shadow goes, I love it. The cooldown is rather long, which seems to hold him back a lot, but given the utility it provides it's fully understandable that Riot would want to err on the side of caution. The mind games you can play with this ability are insane. You can throw out a shadow, make enemies think you're going to juke them with it, and then just continue running while they turn to head towards your shadow. There's also the obvious usage of using it to scale walls which makes Zed extremely slippery when being chased. I'll have to play and practice with it more before I can utilize it fully, as is the case with any ability as versatile as this. That being said, it's an extremely fun ability in general. I look forward to learning the ins and outs.

Now for counters... Well. It sucks to say it but Zed has a lot of counters. Champions with hard CC (stuns, knockups) shut him out of fights completely. Your standard bruiser setups top lane (Irelia, Jax, Darius, Jayce) will be able to not only out-sustain him but out-trade him consistently. He has no answer to champions like these and should generally be played mid or in the jungle (though his ganks are very weak unless the champion he's ganking for has their own CC) as opposed to top. AP bruisers (Ryze, Swain, Cho'gath) will also give him trouble mid, so watch out for those as well.

Playing against Zed is pretty simple. Avoid his damage as best you can until he's out of energy and then all-in. Bait him into small skirmishes so he either has to use his abilities risk dying to your harassment over time. His energy costs are obscenely high and unless he plays extremely conservatively he will have no response to an assault like that. His only options will be to disengage using Living Shadow or Flash, or die outright.

I don't know. A lot of my initial thoughts may be incorrect, but I think that after my games with him both in 3v3 and 5v5 I've got a good feel for his strengths and weaknesses. I don't think he's at all competitively viable in his current state but don't let that stop you from having fun with him. Under the right circumstances and when played well he can be an incredibly effective pubstomper as well as an absolute blast to play. In the end, though, only time will tell if he can become anything more than a situational burst assassin.

Foomps 11-15-2012 02:36 PM

bump

Covenants 11-15-2012 02:39 PM

This is pretty accurate and correct. Reduce his W cooldown fairly drastically to make him really viable in any lane or role is a must have.

CloudedInSanity 11-15-2012 02:39 PM

His ult has too short of a range. His ult does such little damage for an assassin burst type of champion. His E should ALWAYS slow. His Shurikens are fine. His shadow has far too long of a CD.

He energy starves himself all day.

Not sure how this champ got out of PBE...

BanditManSteve 11-15-2012 03:10 PM

He just feels overall weak imo. His top lane presence is pretty meh, jungle is fast with decent ganks, really weak ult. His skill shots dont pay off like other champs do. He also has to be VERY picky about when he enters a fight, because if you just jump in onto the carry, your dead, unlike champs liek talon who can esccape with ult. Here is what i say:

Buff ult, its too weak, and very unconsistent. Buff ratios or base damage on q and E. I realize he has unlimited resources, but unless your target builds straight glass cannon with no sustain, its going to take WAY too long to poke them down. Do something to make his passive useful too. Right now he doesnt have a passive unless you get them below 50%, and then you hit for a small amount of magic damage. Its weak and dismissable.

Its a real shame that his high skill cap doesnt come with high reward, because hes hella fun to play.

Primanocte 11-15-2012 03:23 PM

Good post. He's got issues. Doesn't feel polished. Energy regen/costs and not being able top stay on target are the two worst issues imho.

BanditManSteve 11-15-2012 05:08 PM

bump

Foomps 11-15-2012 07:55 PM

bump

MakinBacnPanCaks 11-15-2012 07:58 PM

I feel his restrictions on clone is his biggest problem because it is your gap closer to land your E to lower the cooldown to get it back up.

Haestro 11-15-2012 08:00 PM

I just don't understand why his E doesn't always slow. It's range is so small that if someone is sitting right next to you they should really be punished for it considering how much energy that move costs.

It's not really possible for him to use his E to permaslow anyway due to the cost, so I think it's fair so that he can get an edge.