League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   @ Riot GypsyLord (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2802202)

Thunderfrog 11-15-2012 11:34 AM

@ Riot GypsyLord

Is the Naga your champ?

Also, this was left over from your AMA thread. Thought I'd ask again.

GypsyLord!

(Notice the caps on your "L". That is for respect!"

Question 1: You are playing AP Teemo. Do you build AS/On hit or true AP? I usually build Zerker Greaves, Malady, Haunting Guise, Nashors Tooth, sell my zerker greaves for Lucidity boots for 40% CDR, then build deathcap and void staff.

Question 2: Do you feel that a career with riot has a short-term lifespan? I am in no way condemning Riot as doomed to fail, but all games eventually end, and usually before a person has a 20 year career rife with retirement options fulfilled.

Granted, companies like Acclaim and Midway are different than a solo-focus company like Riot, but is the general mantra around the office to "ride this train till it explodes in a kaboom of glory" or to hedge bets and invest for the long long term?

I have a lot of knowledge in game design, having worked as a playtester and contributor for a lot of popular table top rpgs and games like warhammer and warma/hordes, but I fear trying to get vested with a young company making internet-dollars in a field with a fairly high turnover and only one real product.

Question 3: Fire Emblem + Super Smash Melee begs the question: Marth or Roy?

Question 4: You are a champion designer. Is your job more about balance, feel, and fairness or more about inputting the 1's and 0's and writing your projects code? (TLDR: Do you do everything with your champ or do you go to a techie and say "She needs more X on her R, make it happen.")

Comment 1: I agree with your assessment of Karma. The mantra is a perfect representation of what I expect out of a champ with her namesake. What heals harms, what helps hinders, and what gimps can grow. The key is balancing her Mantra to keep her theme viable and enjoyable. To what degree it needs remade is the true balancing factor.

Comment 2: I dislike Teemo's voice. His lore makes him read as a Yordle Rambo with a penchant for murder. His voice.. not so much. I expect a gruff smoker voice from Teemo. Not Bambi's friend Flower. Also.. Skunk Teemo plz.

gypsylord 11-17-2012 02:39 PM

Oh man, as a support main I would have loved to design Nami. She's a Classick champ. He did some great work on her. Can't wait to play her in main.

I don't cap my name because THAT'S WHAT CS PROS DO. Or at least that's what I was told back when I made it freshman year of high school...Also, didn't want to deal with adding caps every time I tried to log in to something.

1) I usually go true AP and shy away from AS/onhit items asides from Nashor's and Malady, but it really depends on the matchup. If I'm against a Vlad for example I may lead with a few doran's rings into a Wit's end.

2) At this point I'm not too concerned with the long term. I'm 22 and just out of college. I've got options if things turn bad. My short term goals ATM are to learn as much as I can and help make League the best game possible. I really want to be able to look back in 5 years and take pride in what I did, even if LoL isn't a thing anymore. That said, I think Riot and LoL have a ton of potential, and so far I'd love to stay with the company as long as possible. Riot puts huge emphasis on its employees and players. This is a key factor as to why I think it will succeed in the long term. I've seen similar factors in play at places like Southwest and Bridgewater and they're two of the most successful firms in their respective fields. Keep your employees happy and they'll keep your players happy. Take care of your players and they'll take care of you.

3) Marth. Dat speed.

4) I kind of do all of that. My PRIMARY focus is mechanics and feel. I design the kit and make sure it feels awesome and fun to play while upholding my character's thematic and promoting cool and healthy gameplay patterns. Some secondary considerations include balance and art. Live design gives me feedback on how she'll fit into the game and I tweak numbers and skills accordingly. It's not fun if she comes out and ults you for 100000 damage at level 6 (unless it's a CertainlyT champ). Also not fun if she comes out, does no damage, and can't hit the broadside of a sentient barn. Also work with the art team to ensure her look and thematic matches her gameplay and what we're trying to achieve with the character. What's the fantasy we're trying to deliver?

C2) I love Teemo's voice. You THINK he's this cute friendly dude but he's ACTUALLY a psychopath.

Eat Orange Be K 11-17-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

I don't cap my name because THAT'S WHAT CS PROS DO. Or at least that's what I was told back when I made it freshman year of high school...Also, didn't want to deal with adding caps evertime I tried to log in to something.
I see rickless got a hold of you.

JohntheMage 11-17-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsylord (Hozzászólás 31538424)
C2) I love Teemo's voice. You THINK he's this cute friendly dude but he's ACTUALLY a psychopath.

This ^ Haha.

OptimisticC 11-17-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsylord (Hozzászólás 31538424)
It's not fun if she comes out and ults you for 100000 damage at level 6 (unless it's a CertainlyT champ).

HA!

I see what you did there.