League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Twisted Treeline (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Why does it matter if the community is divided? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2791477)

sobek16 11-12-2012 05:48 PM

Why does it matter if the community is divided?

Why does it matter if the community is divided over two twisted treelines?
I do not care if the community is divided over two twisted treelines, if it means more people are happy, since whoever wants to play each version will. I understand the reasoning that riot wants to have tournaments on twisted treeline and thus they do not want the community divided. But if they do this however the tournament community will be divided between twisted treeline and summoner's rift turning one great tournament community into tow sub-par ones. The reason it is worse for a tournament community to be divided than a casual one is because it means less prizes less, publicity, and less money for riot. On the other hand if two casual maps are divided it does not matter since it for casual gamers having fun and no money is involved. In short have both twisted treelines as an option riot.

Boagster 11-12-2012 06:01 PM

It's not the competitive scene being divided that's the big issue: it's the queue times. The less people in queue, the harder it is for the game to find matches. You could be waiting several minutes on the old TT, maybe even the new TT, if they had both maps with matchmaking.

Snoop Nome 11-12-2012 06:36 PM

Right. It's queue times and community support. We have a fundamental issue with not supporting a piece of the game; and while we know there's a lot of frustrated players wanting the old map for its gameplay, the preferred solution would be to NOT bring back the old map, but to address those issues on the new one.

HunterHagen 11-12-2012 07:06 PM

I thought hundreds of thousands of players play this game at a given time though.
/devilsadvocate

King of Onions 11-12-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotNome (Hozzászólás 31334166)
Right. It's queue times and community support. We have a fundamental issue with not supporting a piece of the game; and while we know there's a lot of frustrated players wanting the old map for its gameplay, the preferred solution would be to NOT bring back the old map, but to address those issues on the new one.

Then get rid of all the alters, bring back wards and gives us our map back that we loved how hard is it to do that? you guys made some good changes but for the majority went way overboard and screwed up big time. So whats stoping you from correcting your mistakes... too much pride? dont want to aknowledge that you could of made a mistake?

Solari Brigadier 11-12-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterHagen (Hozzászólás 31335261)
I thought hundreds of thousands of players play this game at a given time though.
/devilsadvocate

There are multiple servers whose populations don't intermingle, 4 maps, and multiple queue types (vs. AI Beginner, vs. AI Intermediate, Normal Blind, Normal Draft, Ranked Solo, Ranked Team, Custom). Even if there are 100,000 players on the NA servers right now, they're diluted between a dozen different types of matches.

zohan219038 11-12-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotNome (Hozzászólás 31334166)

Okay, so address problems in the new twisted treeline map.

Remove alters.

alpha137 11-12-2012 09:58 PM

Would it be possible to use the old twisted treeline as a custom map? Those that want to play it recreationally could do so, but it wouldn't have to be given specific, consistent attention in terms of balance (similar to the proving grounds).

cobonthecorn 11-13-2012 12:28 AM

Honestly never had long ques on Twisted Treeline, and to be honest I for one wouldn't mind waiting 4-5 minutes to have the option instead of being streamlined into this. Is it really so cumbersome to go back to ignoring the existence of TT for long periods of time? It survived without support before, and I believe there are enough dedicated players for it to weather being ignored AND siphoned off of into Shadow Isles. What matters here is the choice in variety, and to an extent the efficacy of the community that wants the old map and play style back as an option.

I can attest to the damage in my belief in Riot because of the ignoring of the community efforts to resolve the issue.

TL DR: Seeing all the die hard TT fans, being so apparently fervent about an option between BOTH TT and SI, I see no reason why they wouldn't be willing to discuss getting the map back despite its lack of any support from Riot.

Commander Yocko 11-13-2012 01:18 AM

Why not demand a test? If you want to decide which was the map the community decided on I think there are a few ways this could be achieved. We've seen the vote options on several of the threads, but that's not a reliable way to decide this.

Maybe a better way to decide which map would be to poll the entire player base, you could always set up a voting option that was officially designed by the actual developers and see where the community stands on it.

Another option could be to even run both maps at the same time for a short period (2-3 weeks) and determine which map was the most used based on the players that played the map (meaning whichever map was the most played is the victor). While I know may want to continue ranked in 3s, I personally think it was bit of a disservice to suddenly release this map as it was. Beta to me means BETA SERVERS not testing it on live servers during the season even though the developers aren't sure if it's balanced yet or not (BTW it wasn't).