League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   PVP.net Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Much Needed Suggestion - Role Selection (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2783817)

Frost Unit 11-10-2012 12:10 PM

Much Needed Suggestion - Role Selection

After starting queue, we should be able to mark off what roles we would like to play. For example, if you want to play top lane, check off top lane and leave the others unchecked. If you can play any role, check off everything. There can also be an option to set defaults so that you do not have to check off the same thing every game. There are far TOO MANY times when people complain over who plays what roles, and we get two people locking in that role. And ofcourse, this leads to dodges, or a bad-experience game.
You may say, you shouldn't be playing ranked if you can't play any role? What if you're a much better top laner/jungler than you are bot lane/mid? And sometimes you are just in the mood to play a certain role. So at least try implementing this into normal games.

I don't see how this can cause any problems. It will only lead to better cooperation within teams, and it will make the elo system more accurate. You won't have as many losses due to bad team comps, so your skill level is taken more into account.

Please thumbs up if you agree, and if you don't, I would be glad if you could post your concerns.

cF Tempest 11-10-2012 08:55 PM

I wanna chime in on this as well. A majority of the games I play in solo queue involve fighting for roles. Inevitably someone either a) dodges, b) trolls, c) just sucks at the role they were forced into.

While I have the capability to play multiple roles if I wanted to increase my win % I would climb quickly if I could play AP mid every game I played. But oftentimes I'm forced into positions I'm not acclimated to and get paired against an enemy whom mains that role. Not to mention the fact that its an adjustment mentally to transition from jungling (focusing on ganking and disruption) to ADC (focus on last-hitting.)

I remember World of Warcraft implemented a dungeon finder system that allowed you to queue for a role you wanted to fill in the party. Depending on the popularity/scarcity of the role would determine how long it would find a group to play with. But everyone that was queued in the group would know exactly what their role in the party was.

I'm inclined to mention that LoL and it's current meta would work for that purpose. However, we must keep in mind that this is a strategy game and while the cookie-cutter "tried and true" methodology is the popular choice, it is not the only way to play.

For instance, you do not NEED a jungler. Have two top lane, one mid lane, and two bottom is fine. I think with the anonymity of our demographics, people need a safe comfort zone to know that the puzzle pieces fit. And that's why we uphold the META amongst the masses.

Just my two cents.

FlyingHenanMan 11-11-2012 01:39 AM

1.Riot does not approve the EU style which 90% of the games are played with. They want to make the game more uncertain.
2.What if someone checked off "support", and demanded a "solo mid or feed" in the game? There is no absolute distinction between roles. For example, kayle can solo top, solo mid, jungle, AD or support, and it is impossible to forbid a "support" kayle to go to another lane and get some CS.

Frost Unit 11-11-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingHenanMan (Hozzászólás 31275958)
1.Riot does not approve the EU style which 90% of the games are played with. They want to make the game more uncertain.
2.What if someone checked off "support", and demanded a "solo mid or feed" in the game? There is no absolute distinction between roles. For example, kayle can solo top, solo mid, jungle, AD or support, and it is impossible to forbid a "support" kayle to go to another lane and get some CS.

Well if that Kayle wanted to play support, then they should have checked off support.
If they wanted to play top lane, then check off top lane.
If they can play any, then check off all of them.

Corruption44 11-11-2012 03:53 PM

i vote no due to the meta being changable.

TvorRyn 11-11-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Do you have any evidence to back that up or suggest that? It seems to me like the changes they are making right now are more like tweaks, than things that will drastically break up the meta. Teleport scrolls would do that though, if they wanted. If they really do not approve, why don't they do anything about it?

Frost Unit 11-13-2012 03:35 AM

Quote:

More uncertain? You mean more chance, and less skill is involved in the outcome? I doubt that's what riot wants, and if it is, it just takes down the accuracy of the elo system