League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Top lane & more: I just don't get it.. Help pls? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2778352)

M4A1 Fox 11-08-2012 04:34 PM

Top lane & more: I just don't get it.. Help pls?

I consider my strength to be mid lane, so I'm a bit of an average top laner, and I just want some tips to get better at all positions.... Story below..

1 enemy jungler gank and I'm behind 2 levels, enemy laner is freezing the lane and jungler doesn't help, despite numerous pings and requests.. Soooooo.. I just sat in the bush gaining XP and farming like a little girl, getting as many creeps as I could, but the other guy was just a monster by that point that he could just bully me out of lane (due to a grand total of 1 [one] jungler gank)..

What do you usually do in this situation? I couldn't 1v1 the guy little less trade with him, and our jungler was also so far behind that he'd end up giving the enemy a double kill.. I kept taking golems and wraiths when our jungler went bot, and came back to my tower when it was pushed to clear it (thats when the enemy laner dove me at one point for yet another kill)..

Bought GP10 and just farmed wherever I could (asked to switch with bot lane after they took bot turret), and farmed at any lane whenever someone was absent, and even pushed turrets when I saw all 5 of the enemy mid..

P.S.
I did come back and even had a nice 8k streak (legendary status, started 0/4, ended 9/8/8), but in the end we threw the game after 2 non-contested barons and 1 bad play. (just their nexus was left, and 2 inhibitor turrets vs 8 of our turrets.. My team wanted to rush the nexus, but I really wanted to take the other inhibitors out to improve our chances since the enemy team was way ahead of us but we were more effective at taking turrets (was I wrong? were they impatient?).. I'm guessing my early game would have convinced my team that my ideas were probably not the right ones..

td;dr: Pls read, I want to get better at all positions and shot-calling (or an attempt at shot calling, since it seems every game no-one knows what to do late game)..

Mussolini 11-08-2012 04:36 PM

don't die in the first place

Xam Nozid 11-08-2012 04:44 PM

IMo top lane is the hardest role to play. Why? Because you are punished sevearly for the slightest things. Such as not knowing how to play your champ well, not knowing the enemy champ well, not knowing how to keep your lane pushed, now knowing when to push your lane, not knowing when to trade, not having map awareness, not knowing about the jungle ( when certain junglers tend to gank), the list goes on..

The reason you are having trouble top is because it is a role that requires a lot more knowledge than mid lane, though I am not saying that mid laners don't have this kind of knowledge, as the best mid laners do.

Also buying gp5 is not always a good idea. Remember that gp5 make you weaker, so if you were to get ahead in lane, and instantly bought a gp5, you are basically sacrificing that advantage just so you can get gp5. How is that so? Well you could have used that gold for something else such as a defensive or offensive item that could have put the enemy at a greater disadvantage.

Lame Dude 11-08-2012 04:46 PM

Wards, lots and lots of wards.

SUPERMANDATHOE 11-08-2012 04:50 PM

If you're getting completely destroyed, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it, push and then leave the lane and gank. Take objectives, set things up for your team. Get dragon, push turrets, anything productive rather than sitting in lane doing absolutely nothing but get zoned.

Tapyu 11-08-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanbyaku (Hozzászólás 31200508)
I consider my strength to be mid lane, so I'm a bit of an average top laner, and I just want some tips to get better at all positions.... Story below..

1 enemy jungler gank and I'm behind 2 levels, enemy laner is freezing the lane and jungler doesn't help, despite numerous pings and requests.. Soooooo.. I just sat in the bush gaining XP and farming like a little girl, getting as many creeps as I could, but the other guy was just a monster by that point that he could just bully me out of lane (due to a grand total of 1 [one] jungler gank)..

What do you usually do in this situation? I couldn't 1v1 the guy little less trade with him, and our jungler was also so far behind that he'd end up giving the enemy a double kill.. I kept taking golems and wraiths when our jungler went bot, and came back to my tower when it was pushed to clear it (thats when the enemy laner dove me at one point for yet another kill)..

Bought GP10 and just farmed wherever I could (asked to switch with bot lane after they took bot turret), and farmed at any lane whenever someone was absent, and even pushed turrets when I saw all 5 of the enemy mid..

P.S.
I did come back and even had a nice 8k streak (legendary status, started 0/4, ended 9/8/8), but in the end we threw the game after 2 non-contested barons and 1 bad play. (just their nexus was left, and 2 inhibitor turrets vs 8 of our turrets.. My team wanted to rush the nexus, but I really wanted to take the other inhibitors out to improve our chances since the enemy team was way ahead of us but we were more effective at taking turrets (was I wrong? were they impatient?).. I'm guessing my early game would have convinced my team that my ideas were probably not the right ones..

td;dr: Pls read, I want to get better at all positions and shot-calling (or an attempt at shot calling, since it seems every game no-one knows what to do late game)..

Sadly that's the issue with "top"lane currently, it works that way since Top has the same potential exp as mid does, however mid is much shorter distance to get back and forth, which means a single death, will put you further behind then the other lanes would. Also you want to take objectives, and group with your team to get kills, and try to do your best in that situation.

M4A1 Fox 11-08-2012 04:53 PM

I mean, I've lost some, and I've won some as top lane, but feel as though it is my weakest lane---I'm mostly curious about this situation.. It seems to me that this lane is the most snowbally.. Unlike mid where I can fall behind one kill and come back immediately, this lane feels like it can be influenced greatly by only 1 gank.. (fwiw, my last game was Ahri top and I won that one, lol)

and Jar555, thanks for the insightful information, I'll keep that in my notes... :P

NutrientPolecat 11-08-2012 04:54 PM

Best advice I can offer op, is just to farm until you have enough for the most effective resistance or a dorans if you're doing well and a ward, once you have that gold go b, idc where the lane is how close to dying they are, go b, buy that ward and and item of your choice and come back. Now you can play more agressive. And stop from getting snowballed

M4A1 Fox 11-08-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUPERMANDATHOE (Hozzászólás 31201023)
If you're getting completely destroyed, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it, push and then leave the lane and gank. Take objectives, set things up for your team. Get dragon, push turrets, anything productive rather than sitting in lane doing absolutely nothing but get zoned.

Thank you, this is somewhat of what I was looking for.. But, if I were to roam, wouldn't my lane get pushed and likely that my turret get dropped? Would it be more preferable to let the turret drop and freeze the lane at the 2nd turret to catch up after roaming? (pls Don't flame me, but I was actually thinking about this in-game)

NutrientPolecat 11-08-2012 05:01 PM

I've maimed top and mid a fair deal and they are worlds apart as far as jungle presence goes, early wards are the best thing to save your ass up top though, if they have a quick jungler like lee or Skarner, expect him to gank early, if he hasn't ganked anywhere in the osrt 5 minutes and you're in the middle or slightly past river, you better believe he's Coming for you