League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   @ Riot: Matchmaking Roles (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2778309)

Empyrius 11-08-2012 04:20 PM

@ Riot: Matchmaking Roles

I have had many instances where I go into games and then my teammates just insta lock characters claiming spots. This is normally not an issue but sometimes it leads into aggressive behavior. Example would be when 2 people claim top and one just insta locks to get it, and then they lose their lane. It promotes aggressive behavior towards and from the player who insta locked.

Is there a chance that matchmaking can have role selections? Such as before you enter the q, in your profile page you have your roles ranked from 1-5. 1 being Best, 5 being worst. This would be shown in champion select and used so that you are paired up with people who prefer their roles.

Example:
Player 1 has:
1-jungle
2-top
3-mid
4-support
5-adc
Player 2 has:
3-jungle
3-top
2-mid
1-ADC
5-support

These two players would have higher chance to match up together and fufill roles that each other player may not be able to cover.

True this may increase matchmaking times, but it would facilitate better gameplay and behavior!

Dr Clueless PhD 11-08-2012 04:23 PM

Bla bla bla... search bar, been talked to death... bla bla bla... cementing the meta... bla bla bla... Riot said no.

Talrok 11-08-2012 04:23 PM

Why cant the millions of people who make these threads simply type "role selection" into the little search bar? OP, this thread has been made a MILLION times, and the reasons why it wont happen remain the same

Empyrius 11-08-2012 04:59 PM

Have done that, however dont see any(if there are) red posts. Can you point one out? I am bringing this up because since there is an "HONOR" incentive these days which help group people with other skilled and kind and teamworking players, that it would make sense to make things like the above into the game to help reduce trolls, ragers, and insta lockers.

Dr Clueless PhD 11-08-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikyre (Hozzászólás 31201299)
Have done that, however dont see any(if there are) red posts. Can you point one out? I am bringing this up because since there is an "HONOR" incentive these days which help group people with other skilled and kind and teamworking players, that it would make sense to make things like the above into the game to help reduce trolls, ragers, and insta lockers.

A few misconceptions here:

1. Honor isn't used in matchmaking. At all. You don't get matched with similarly honored players preferentially.
2. While you think this makes sense, Riot has explained why it doesn't a few times. Can I find the posts? Hell, no. They are LONG buried in the bowels of GD. If someone has them bookmarked, I'd glady save them if I saw the link.

If you want a quick summary of why this isn't a good idea, I can offer one.

The quick-and-dirty: By making a role-based queue system, you are hardcoding the "meta" into the game. THIS IS BAD. This means that there can no longer be innovation in terms of team organization. Has this strategy been around for a while? Yes. Has it been dominant? Yes. But, to make it permanent? That's a bad idea for game health. This isn't the first "meta" this game has had. Would you like it if an older one had been hardcoded in? There are other problems, but this is the big one.