League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I want to make Champions for League of Legends (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2768187)

Izzabelle 11-05-2012 06:59 PM

I want to make Champions for League of Legends

3 Attachment(s)
That's the dream isn't it? Well for me it is anyways. But since I'm not a Riot employee, I've decided just to draw concepts for champions. Next best thing, right?

I've decided to post a new champion every week, and I will soon apply to Riot Games to hopefully nab a position in their Art Department. Bump if you enjoy the art or support my dream :)
Please feel free to post your theory kits here too. I like reading how these concepts are thought of in a game-play manner.

1000 Upvotes:
Quote:

I just wanted to take a moment to thank the community for their support. When I made this thread I didn't think it would receive the amount of attention it has, let alone the support and good wishes. Imagine my amusement when the whole Quinn thing happened! I have been incredibly humbled and I will continue to work to improve my craft so that I may have the best chance of joining the Riot team -- and in return, shoot for getting you guys more champions that appeal to you. Once again; thank you community for your continued support and feedback.
Recent Update 09|08|13
Quote:

Work has me bogged down at the moment. Next champ will be later this week or the next -- depends on when my hours let up :)
Working On 08|12|13
Quote:

Next champ, revision, new skin.
Champion Concepts Blog aka: where you should go when visiting this threadLatest Champion: Mort
Quote:

Attachment 755066
Concept Lore

Bilgewater is a busy place. Between trade, thievery, bounty-hunting, and other shenanigans -- occasionally a story is told about Mort, the great Water Sage. The stories vary from traveler to drunkard; How Mort uses the ocean itself to crush pirates, or calms the currents to provide safe passage for ships. Everything said about Mort has been just a story. Few believed Mort even existed. Until the old sage himself rowed into Bilgewater from the ocean.

When he appeared -- the only thing Mort would say is "must warn the two of the danger," and then proceeded to hobble toward the League.

Concept Game-Play

Mort is a Bilgewater Mage and Support that specializes in titanic ocean spells that shield, slow, and crush. Some of his abilities are meant to be terrain altering or terrain creating. He's meant to be a little more tanky than typical Mages and Supports too.

Art Direction

This is my first approach at painting the champion without being reliant on outlines and sketches (looking for feedback about that). Mort is super old to provide a change of pace from the typical hyper-athletic champions we already have. He also fills the old hermit/sage archetype. He houses this really colorful shell on his back, which is about as big as he is. I wanted players to think "what's under that thing?". One of Mort's eyes are missing and he has a crab claw for an arm -- which suggests that Mort may not be human at all. He's also missing a leg, which is why he has a staff -- it's for walking and magic!
Latest Skin: Death Blossom Zyra
Quote:

Attachment 742492
Art Direction

I know that Riot has a new Zyra skin somewhere in the pipeline (my luck is it will be a Death Blossom skin) -- but I had to make this. So there were a few goals fleshing this skin out. 1; It had to share the base palette of Death Blossom Elise. 2; I wanted to include Spring colors. 3; It had to be different enough, that if you had Zyra and Elise rocking Death Blossom skins -- you can tell them apart on the field. Unlike Zyra's current models, Death Blossom makes her asymmetrical; the blooms on one shoulder/leg are larger than the other. For contrast and pop, I added a high saturation magenta color to areas; mostly in petals. Zyra also now has only 1 vine circulating her arm as I thought this would help pop her silhouette in game more, and distinguish the skin.
Latest Revision: Castor/Pollux
Quote:

Attachment 747264
Art Direction

The long awaited Castor/Pollux revision is here! Going off of the feedback I received from the original versions -- this Champion is now a mirror of the Summoner's Rift minions. This all ties back to an attempt at duality -- and as such, Castor and Pollux both represent two different kinds of minions. Of course, they're their own champion, so they're a little more "beefed up" than the minions. I think they share enough resemblance to get the idea across. Also, Castor and Pollux are different enough from each other to dictate how they play differently depending on which one you are playing. One's a hero, one's a villain -- and they're both very childish about it. Hope you enjoy the revision!
Quick Information
Quote:

0) I will apply to Riot Games when I feel I have a portfolio that accurately shows that I can do what they require of me.
1) It is my dream to work for Riot Games.
2) I have an almost completed college education in Illustration, with a focus on character art.
3) I am not taking requests.
4) You can make lore/kits for these champs if you want.
5) These champs are my creations and thus my property
6) Lore/Kit ideas I provide are just "baselines" for the concept itself. They are not set in stone.
7) I encourage any questions regarding the champs.
8) I will only answer appropriate questions regarding myself
9) I am no longer accepting friend requests in-game that come about this thread.
10) Yes, I know that champ X looks like character Y from series Z. That's why I am also posting revisions.
11) New champs will be posted on Mondays
12) Revisions will be posted during the week (if at all) and only after a healthy amount of feedback is gathered.
13) Feedback is welcome, and encouraged -- but I will ignore obvious hate/troll posts.
14) The latest champ will be posted in this thread, but all champs will be in the blog.
15) Skins will be posted during the week (if at all)
Red Bait
Quote:

RiotZeronis, Xelnath, IronStylus, RiotPenguin, Griftrix, Volty, Gypsylord, RiotAmes, Pabro, NeuroCat, Hitstreak, Solcrushed, Zileas, Morgageddon, Gradius, Riot DudeBro, Dannamoth, RiotScruffy, ohmikegoodness, Kades, Riot Noc, Xypherous, RiotChris, Vesh, LiQuiD StRiPeS, Riot Pwyff, Meddler, Phreak, WizardCrab, Kitae, Statikk, Scarizard, Morello, ricklessabandon

Rewdas 11-05-2012 07:04 PM

I can see some interesting lore for the mini-baron thing. The second one is Samus, though.

Izzabelle 11-05-2012 07:04 PM

And I guess because it is Monday here, Mondays are when a champion will be added without a doubt here.

Izzabelle 11-05-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rewdas (Hozzászólás 31092196)
The second one is Samus, though.

I'll grant you the similarity in appearance -- but the playstyle I envisioned is completely different. Think X-Men's Juggernaut meets Riven.

Rocko15 11-05-2012 07:07 PM

Whats the point of having a eyeball in your mouth? but there both well drawn,.

Izzabelle 11-05-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocko15 (Hozzászólás 31092331)

Who said that was his mouth? ;) Thank you

Rewdas 11-05-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzabelle (Hozzászólás 31092260)
I'll grant you the similarity in appearance -- but the playstyle I envisioned is completely different. Think X-Men's Juggernaut meets Riven.

Okay. You said in the OP that you don't make kits though.

JunkRamen 11-05-2012 07:11 PM

Shuma-Gorath?

Enrayged 11-05-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocko15 (Hozzászólás 31092331)

Kog'maw has a phallus in his mouth, sooo....

Izzabelle 11-05-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rewdas (Hozzászólás 31092451)
Okay. You said in the OP that you don't make kits though.

I don't -- but I picture generally how they might play while drawing. For example -- if I draw someone with a huge gun, I imagine the way they would play would involve that gun somehow.