League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Summoner's Rift (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Been playing almost a year, I still suck, and I need help. (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2739520)

PDiddy 10-29-2012 08:14 AM

Been playing almost a year, I still suck, and I need help.

I feel like I know what I'm doing. My Elo and w/l rate say otherwise. I watch streams, try to get good with specific champs. No avail. I feel like I'm outa options, where do I go from here? I like the game, I don't want to uninstall.

Sometimes I feel though that bad play begets bad play. Its hard to cs when your lane opp is just auto shoving and harassing the whole time.

Its hard to support a bad carry.

Its hard to play mid when jungle never ganks.

Its hard to jungle when mid doesn't realize he needs to watch your back.

I want to enjoy the game as it's meant to be played. I just dont know what to do. So I'm asking the community. Where do I go from here?

Grollm 10-29-2012 08:27 AM

It might be your lane matchups. I always double champion select before I lock in just to make sure I'm not countering myself. If you think you are good play carry roles. Also if you don't already try to have a basic understanding of all the lanes and positions so you know what to expect from the enemy and from your team. Try to coordinate ganks and objectives AND ALWAYS WARD. Its a team based strategy game, some things are on you some are on the team as a whole. Hope this helps!

SentinelOfPain 10-29-2012 08:33 AM

It's hard to get ahead from where you are, but you have to realize that both teams, yours and your opponent's, will have bad carries, bad supports, bad mids, bad tops, and bad junglers. Sometimes you will be counter-picked, or end up playing a champ that you probably aren't very good at.

There will be games that may justifiably be unwinnable. But no matter how many of these games you have the common factor here is you.

You cannot control anyone but yourself. Simply focus on improving yourself and trying to keep your team together. Use pings to coordinate people and take every objective (dragon, blue, red, Baron) that you possibly can all while talking minimal risk.

There is no amount of specific advice I can give you that will help you improve your play that is better than simply continuing to play. If you feel you're good enough at champs and want to keep blaming other people, that's fine, but you don't really learn that way.

I recently played against a Darius with over 1,300 wins. Sure that's a long time, but he would basically pull me (Olaf) at full health while I was coming toward him, and ult me. That's how he would start the fight. He lost every time and I regenerated all the damage he put on me. When I tried to help him improve in post game chat, he ignored everything I told him, tried to blame his team for his poor performance and obstinately challenged me to 1v1 him.

If you become like that Darius you're done. If you want specific advice on how to play better, watch the pros play and read guides. Three guides per day will do wonders for your play.

PogoPogoPogoPogo 10-29-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDiddy (Hozzászólás 30816550)
Sometimes I feel though that bad play begets bad play. Its hard to cs when your lane opp is just auto shoving and harassing the whole time.

Its hard to support a bad carry.

Its hard to play mid when jungle never ganks.

Its hard to jungle when mid doesn't realize he needs to watch your back.

I want to enjoy the game as it's meant to be played. I just dont know what to do. So I'm asking the community. Where do I go from here?

Heh, this post goes so back and forth.

The title and the last line in this thread sound more like you're admitting you need help, while the rest of the stuff I quoted sounds more like excuse making. Given the overall theme of the post though and the general cry for help here, I'm going to assume this is more frustration than anything.

So, here's the deal though. If this list of complaints are problems that you struggle with, it's pretty much the reason why you're not at a higher Elo than you are. It's not because you're getting teammates who play in this manner. It's because your skill level isn't high enough that these things don't matter.

For example, if you're struggling in the jungle because your mid won't come cover you, then it sounds to me like you're being out-jungled.

So here's a few quick points on each of those points you made.

1) Hard to CS a shoved lane.
----- Okay, here you have two options. And it really depends on what lane your in for part of this. You can practice farming under your own turret (for the record, the bots push hard too, so this can be a good place to practice farming under your own turret). You will still miss a few CS, but this sets your lane up perfectly for a gank. Be sure to keep bushes warded. You may let your jungler know there's an easy gank set up, but honestly, I'm usually pretty comfortable just farming under my own turret. OR you can learn to keep the lane frozen (again, the bots push hard, so another good place to practice). If you play a champ like Tristana or with a support like Alistar, you help push anyway. However, the key here is to focus on hitting minions that are nowhere near last-hittable to get their health down, and focus on last-hitting at maximum health on minions. Try to do the same amount of damage the enemy is doing, but be better than him at last hitting.

And... as a last resort, if you're top lane, play Promote Nunu.

2) As someone already pointed out, realize both teams have equally bad players. But if you're truly getting tired of bad carries, you need to play less passive supports. Alistar and Blitzcrank are a couple example, but there are others. These are support champions that are scary in their own right. These are champions that don't need the help of the ADC to scare the enemy bottom lanes. You can use these champs to bully the enemy bottom laners around and hide the fact that your ADC isn't that good. While your ADC may still not be fed, at least he's not feeding.

3) Jungle ganks aren't necessary for winning your lane. They can help you gain a massive advantage in your lane, but you should still be able to win lane without ganks. Moreover, if you're better than everyone else at your current Elo, you'll win your lane even if your jungler never ganks your lane and the enemy jungler ganks regularly. Particularly in mid.

4) Learn to watch your own back. Ward. Ward your jungle entrances and ward the enemy jungle. Be aggressive about counter jungling, and pick stronger jungle champs. Don't get caught out in your jungle more than once. And after the first time you get caught in your jungle, ward a lot and keep talking to your team to set up a counter gank on the enemy jungler. Being the jungler is all about coordinating ganks everywhere. Don't just expect your mid to see you're being attacked in your own jungle and him come running. Instead, after you gank mid, help him push lane to turret and say "come with me, let's steal their blue" or something like that. I regularly ask laners to come with me into the enemy jungle after I gank their lane.

Wrath of Okard 10-29-2012 10:30 AM

find friends, get skype, and play coordinated teams. Youll see a huge difference.

Best Furry NA 10-29-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrath of Okard (Hozzászólás 30820337)
find friends, get skype, and play coordinated teams. Youll see a huge difference.

This helps.

I would recommend finding something you're really good at and specializing, before diversifying.

I have tried every role. Found out I SUCK as ADC's. I can do it, but that's a huge waste of my potential. I know they're easy, but... Too simplistic for me. I specialize in jungling and mid-lane. I can go top if need be, but not my favorite. I'm also an amazing bot-lane Malphite (first ranked game and only with him, I beat out everyone's kills, we won. As full tank. Meanwhile I did my job and never stole kills. Not gloating, just an example).

Now, if you're having trouble relying on yourself, find what role suites you best.

If you're having trouble relying on others, do one of these:

Mid: Play defensively. Forget the jungler

Top: Same

Bot: Kinda tricky, but pretend you can't rely on your partner. You won't be disappointed, you might be happy. It'll allow for better play.

Jungle: Ah, my favorite for when I can't rely on others. They're doing well? Ignore the lane. They're doing bad? Tell them to hug turret and gank where needed. They're doing bad but still pushing? Tell them that, and focus other lanes. Junglers in 90% of games have at least some way they can help, so even if a lane is sooo bad that it is ungankable (rare), you can at least attempt to snowball others.

Azerax53 10-29-2012 01:06 PM

I think one thing i'm learning to master, now that i have my characters down, is pinging, warding and know where my opponents are on the map. I can't tell you how critical all those things are they seem pretty small or insignificant but they impact your game the most. I play top with Darius A LOT and I've noticed when i am checking my bush and putting wards up making sure where i know the enemy team is and pinging when my opponent disappears from lane it affects the outcome of a game immensely. One game when i was really down on those things i went 11/3/4 with the least amount of deaths on my team we beat them in 27 minutes because they quit after an ACE. Another game i went 1/10/2 because i failed to ward and wasn't paying attention to where my enemies were. by the time i started working on those things it was too late because not only had i given up 3 deaths but my team had as well so the little things make a difference.

PDiddy 10-29-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo (Hozzászólás 30818132)
Heh, this post goes so back and forth.

The title and the last line in this thread sound more like you're admitting you need help, while the rest of the stuff I quoted sounds more like excuse making. Given the overall theme of the post though and the general cry for help here, I'm going to assume this is more frustration than anything.

So, here's the deal though. If this list of complaints are problems that you struggle with, it's pretty much the reason why you're not at a higher Elo than you are. It's not because you're getting teammates who play in this manner. It's because your skill level isn't high enough that these things don't matter.

For example, if you're struggling in the jungle because your mid won't come cover you, then it sounds to me like you're being out-jungled.

So here's a few quick points on each of those points you made.

1) Hard to CS a shoved lane.
----- Okay, here you have two options. And it really depends on what lane your in for part of this. You can practice farming under your own turret (for the record, the bots push hard too, so this can be a good place to practice farming under your own turret). You will still miss a few CS, but this sets your lane up perfectly for a gank. Be sure to keep bushes warded. You may let your jungler know there's an easy gank set up, but honestly, I'm usually pretty comfortable just farming under my own turret. OR you can learn to keep the lane frozen (again, the bots push hard, so another good place to practice). If you play a champ like Tristana or with a support like Alistar, you help push anyway. However, the key here is to focus on hitting minions that are nowhere near last-hittable to get their health down, and focus on last-hitting at maximum health on minions. Try to do the same amount of damage the enemy is doing, but be better than him at last hitting.

And... as a last resort, if you're top lane, play Promote Nunu.

2) As someone already pointed out, realize both teams have equally bad players. But if you're truly getting tired of bad carries, you need to play less passive supports. Alistar and Blitzcrank are a couple example, but there are others. These are support champions that are scary in their own right. These are champions that don't need the help of the ADC to scare the enemy bottom lanes. You can use these champs to bully the enemy bottom laners around and hide the fact that your ADC isn't that good. While your ADC may still not be fed, at least he's not feeding.

3) Jungle ganks aren't necessary for winning your lane. They can help you gain a massive advantage in your lane, but you should still be able to win lane without ganks. Moreover, if you're better than everyone else at your current Elo, you'll win your lane even if your jungler never ganks your lane and the enemy jungler ganks regularly. Particularly in mid.

4) Learn to watch your own back. Ward. Ward your jungle entrances and ward the enemy jungle. Be aggressive about counter jungling, and pick stronger jungle champs. Don't get caught out in your jungle more than once. And after the first time you get caught in your jungle, ward a lot and keep talking to your team to set up a counter gank on the enemy jungler. Being the jungler is all about coordinating ganks everywhere. Don't just expect your mid to see you're being attacked in your own jungle and him come running. Instead, after you gank mid, help him push lane to turret and say "come with me, let's steal their blue" or something like that. I regularly ask laners to come with me into the enemy jungle after I gank their lane.

This is interesting stuff for sure. Im gona work on it.

PDiddy 10-31-2012 01:40 PM

going much better now.

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/26832716#history

PogoPogoPogoPogo 10-31-2012 02:27 PM

Well that's good news.

The first step in becoming a better player is being humble and admitting you have much to learn.

The hardest part is probably realizing that you'll always have something to learn.