League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   PVP.net Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   [Suggestion] A South American server? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2704756)

redtyrantMMD 10-20-2012 08:42 PM

[Suggestion] A South American server?

Let's make a few things clear, this isn't a rage thread against our spanish speaking friends, because this is designed to benefit everybody.

Why we should have a South American server: Let's face it, we've all gotten into the game lobby with hopes of getting a nice win, maybe meeting new friends just to hear "Volo ludere mid" or something along those lines. In that moment you realize that the language barrier is up and communication will be a major problem. It hurts the game as a whole because I've seen, and played on teams that have lost because of language barrier problems. It just doesn't do any good for the community. Not to mention the ping that some of our Southern American friends are dealing with or the difficulty communicating or understanding on their end. So riot, please look into establishing a South American server, other then the Brazilian Server. It would just help the entire community as a whole.

Toph Basquette 10-21-2012 09:40 AM

I agree. I just finished a game like that. The SA community is obviously large enough because I have to deal with this daily. It's frustrating enough that it's the usual reason I stop playing for the day.

Tropogue 12-10-2012 01:50 PM

Im from Chile and i speak english very well, but i agree with you men.

ACGIFT 12-10-2012 02:18 PM

I would have to concur here; Southern (including Mexico/Central) America is a rather large place, with a lot of people there. Brazil is FAR from all of it; it just happens to be the one part that speaks primarily Portuguese; the rest speaks Spanish.

This would better serve the Spanish-speaking players, not simply the English-speaking ones; while I understand enough Spanish to (barely) have a degree of communication, few have even that, and I could tell how frustrated the Spanish-speakers were that they couldn't communicate as well.

Perhaps the best means of handling this might be to simply have three main servers for the Americas, simply grouped by language: English, Portuguese, and Spanish. (Québécois who don't speak English are comparatively rare, less than 1% the size of any of the other three groups)

Nightwhite3 12-10-2012 06:31 PM

When I get in to a game and my team is speaking Spanish it makes communicating and winning very difficult, it would help if there were different servers for English, Spanish etc.

Vesuvias 12-11-2012 04:50 AM

I am from Texas, living in SK, playing on the NA servers, and for some reason i tend to get matched with SA people often. I understand them, but communicating is very difficult sometimes.

Please add an SA server or allow match making by language soon!

EndOmega 12-13-2012 01:13 AM

You do realize there is a brazilian server and brazil is IN south america, correct?

Zman200111 12-13-2012 08:16 PM

I just posted something along this line. It is bad for the spanish and english players equally and it isn't really fair to the team that has a half half of english and spanish speakers It is a major disadvantage.

Dragonsbaine 12-13-2012 09:23 PM

NEWBIES STOP MAKING THESE THREAD. Otherwise I'm going to be lead to believe your trolling more then trying to be serious. There is a SA server, it's located in Brazil. When they launched it a few months back, we saw a drastic decrease in the amount of SA trolls ruining our games.

Try Googling something before you make a thread about it...

ACGIFT 12-14-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonsbaine (Hozzászólás 32414159)
There is a SA server, it's located in Brazil.

Wow, are you quite ignorant. The barrier for playing isn't where one lives; it's the LANGUAGE. You're are MOST OBVIOUSLY unaware that Brazil speaks a different language from the rest of South America. They speak Portuguese, while the rest of the continent (along with all of North America south of the USA) speaks Spanish. That, and the Spanish-speaking population in the Americas exceeds the population of Brazil. Diving North+South America by language:

• Spanish: 376 million (Mexico, Central America, most of the Caribbean, most of South America)
  • English: 360 million. (USA, Canada, parts of the Caribbean)
  • Portuguese: 194 million. (Brazil)
  • French: 10 million. (mostly Haiti; also some in French Guiana and Quebec)

Spanish-speakers don't use Brazil's server; while to someone like you Spanish would be easily mistaken for Portuguese, it's an entirely different language. As a result, between the five servers for PvP.net, we have the following populations served:

• "North" America: 736 million+
  • EU West: 360 million+
  • EU Nordic/East: 302 million+
  • Brazil: 194 million
  • Turkey: 75 million

Yes, Turkey gets their own server, yet the bulk of a billion people get lumped into one server. I might be under-stating the NA server, since while I'm not 100% sure, I do believe Australian and New Zealand players go on the NA server; I've encountered plenty enough of them. (that, and given the different control methods for signing up for Korean or Chinese LoL accounts, I do believe most of Japan's players ALSO go on the NA server)

Doesn't it seem like it might be reasonable to split the NA server?